Old 06-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Air Suspension Work?

I just got back from a trip and had the Propride dialed in quite well. I had 3 hats on 2 hooks and all were still hanging as I had put them on the hook. So the ride in the AS was pretty good.

I have noticed that 4-lane concrete highways are the worst for riding; especially in Wisconsin where highways take a bigger beating with wide swings of temperatures. So after our last trip I am contemplating putting air suspension in my F150 to make things easier on the Air Stream and make the ride a little smoother.

But really not sure if this is worth it or if it will even work. I have a 28í international. Anyone do something similar? Advice?

Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Start with what you have. A pickup is a bad default choice, and you’re learning why:

1) pickup TARE weight: driver, max fuel and gear aboard that’s permanent.

— what are the axle limits shown on door sticker. Pics of both scale and this.

2). Isolate the camping load. The stuff that CANNOT be carried in TT or TV passenger compartment due to safety or, say, grease. (Scale ticket)

3). The Hitched, with WD applied, scale ticket to go with above. All passengers aboard, max fuel as always , etc.

“Ideal” WD is some work. Patience.

Hitch brand will matter. Yours is?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Slowmover:
1) I have a Propride Hitch. And I had it dialed in wonderfully. The ride was such that I had a cap on a hook by the door. It was just hanging there and not that securely. When we got home it was still hanging there after 4 hours on the road. So the problems are minimal at best.

2) The reason I asked about the air ride is to further soften the ride. As I said Wisconsin freeways are notoriously bad for uneven roads. Reducing the impact on the trailer as much as possible is my goal. I realize that some people use air bags to even out the truck, but that doesn't redistribute weight and isn't what I'm looking for.

3) I know you are not a pickup fan. But there isn't an SUV out there that I can pull a 28' AS with any level of safety IMHO. The Expedition with 3.5 Ecoboost is probably the closest, but it's marginal. Frankly I am going to a F250 when I retire for payload purposes. Will definitely put in air ride then. Yes back in the day people pulled these trailers with cars. But I had a 1969 Ford LTD with a 390 cubic inch engine. It was a beast. Plus cars had steal frames. That thing could easily pull a 28' AS. But today cars are not built like that. They are built light for gas mileage. The suspensions etc just aren't adequate.

4) The question remains. Anyone put in Air ride on an F150? Does it make any difference? And is it really worth it?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Youíre heading the wrong direction. Short of information.

Your assumptions about the cars are wrong. A 300 Chrysler is superior to anything we had then. Better numbers than any FE-powered Ford.

And a half ton can pull any of these trailers.

As can many SUVs. Far better than a pickup. Same for the passenger vans.

Your trailer isnít unique. Your focused on the wrong approach. It isnít about the weight of the TT.

Isolate the cargo bed weight. Thatís the problem youíre not addressing, and whether the hitch is achieving FALR at a minimum. It may need more. And it may need hitch receiver reinforcement to do it. Or it may need less.

Where are the scale tickets? What is the TV tire pressure for those axle loads once WD is applied?

Basics.

As to air suspension, [I]Switz/I] has one. Plenty of aftermarket on one ton. Is air ride better? Sure, but with caveats. Wonít change the hitch rigging problem OR the FF/RR weight bias deficiencies of a pickup by itself.

Start at the scale with the solo pickup.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Towing capacity for Chrysler 300 is 1000lbs. And I am going wrong direction? I will stick to my F150 with 11000lbs.