Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Air Safe hitches....

Finally broke down and pick one of these up based on input from several sources.

Receiver Hitch, Hitches | Trailer Hitch, Hitches

First 300+ mile tow I found this to be a good addition. I found that blow by (when a truck passes you) to be significantly diminished. I found that stuff like pillows on the couch, place mats, etc had no movement within the trailer where at one point there was movement.

What precipitated this buy was I found last season I had a popped rivet around the entry door. Given all that I read about the stiffness of 3/4 tons, I started several years ago to soften the ride for the Safari. As of now, I am running Centramatics, and the Air safe hitch.

I believe the Centramatics are a good value. Jury is still out on the Air Safe--if it's a good value. Clearly seat of pants have been noticeable and less movement of stuff in the coach during transit, but worth the nearly $1300 for the Class 6 or a few hundo less for the Class 5? Not sure yet...will let you know if any more rivets pop.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Just curious why not get the Class 4 unit. 1,000 lb tongue and 10,000 lb GVW. For your trailer this sounds plenty stout. Am I missing something?
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The 6 has the nice shock absorber... I have the wee Class 3 for my 22'... works good, but I run the bag close to max to get the left I want...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We purchased our Class 5 for the same reasons. Items stowed on the bunks in our older mid bath trailer/rear twin trailer moved some. I guess I just really didn't realize how much.

Now with the front bed, more loose items are toward the rear of the trailer. A the end of a day of travels, the stuff looked like it had been in a dryer.

The airsafe has helped that a bunch.

As for value, if it saves some wear and tear on the trailer, it is worth it to me.

Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I went the class 6 for a few reasons:

First, and foremost, the thought of one day getting a larger and heavier Airstream gave me pause as this is NOT an inexpensive undertaking, so doing it once and future proofing seemed like a good idea and there is no documentation suggesting going 6 vs 5, outside of cost is detrimental in any way, except when the bill arrives.

Second, it almost makes no difference what you really choose as the PSI is what makes or breaks you-- minus knowing your current and possible future hitch weight.

Third, I have a hitch weight scale. I found that my hitch weight is above the factory's stated rating (and I don't overpack or put more stuff than normal in front). I was clipping a bit beyond 900 lbs, and frankly, if you read the fine print, if you use weight distribution, which we all do (at least most of us do), you have to de-rate the hitch by 20%, which puts the class 6 at about 1600lbs, well within many of the larger Airstreams, let alone slide outs. Staying Class 5 drops to around 1100lbs which is easily hit or surpassed with at 30' slide since my findings were that the hitch weight was above that the the factory suggests on record.

So is the price worth it? I did notice SOP (seat of pants) difference, and there were fewer objects in the trailer that moved around, even less than with my Centramatics.

My guess it doesn't hurt, but help at what price point? I don't have any regrets, but it's not an inexpensive endeavor.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I also have the class 6. Its a heavy beast with the reese head on it. I made a little cart to sit it on so I could wheel it over to the truck to install. It does the trick though.. the airstream rides much better as Im sure my service truck would beat it up. The ride in the cab for us is nicer too.. less movement from the trailer.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
I used to own an 18,000 lb 37' fifth wheel that I towed with a Freightliner FL60. We used an Air-Safe hitch for that and it was a dream to tow with, much better than before the Air-Safe hitch.

I've been thinking about getting an Air-Safe for our 34' Excella, but I'm concerned about two things:
1) The Air-Safe hitch moves the pivot point even farther from the rear axle
2) What about weight distribution and sway control with the Air-Safe

How about it Air-Safe owners? Could you chime in and comment on these issues?

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
I have an air hitch (not Air-Safe but I can't remember the brand) and I love it. I used it on our 31' Excella and found there were less cabinet doors open and objects thrown around the trailer. I switched to the 34' Excella and the same hitch works great!

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
I have the class 6 Air-Safe hitch. My F-350 dually was beating the crap out of my 27FB due to the stiffness of the springs. Before the Air-Safe I was experiencing popped rivets around the front locker of the airstream and the aluminum skin cracked in the front of the airstream. After the repairs and use of the Air-Safe I've had no more problems with popped rivets.
lylesgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Here is a good link..

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tch-62774.html

Old 03-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Anyone using one with a ProPride or Hensley hitch?
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
My airsafe arrived this weekend. I am getting/ upgrading to a reese strait line dual cam wd system. Any advise on what to set up first? Should i set the reese up off the regular ball and get that all dialed in. Than put the Airsfae in and adjust the hieght/air? Any suggestions from those who have done it would be welcomed!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
My airsafe arrived this weekend. I am getting/ upgrading to a reese strait line dual cam wd system. Any advise on what to set up first? Should i set the reese up off the regular ball and get that all dialed in. Than put the Airsfae in and adjust the hieght/air? Any suggestions from those who have done it would be welcomed!

That's the way I set mine up. Reese first, then Airsafe. I fooled around with my set up for quite a while. I even ended up taking trips and adjusting it a couple of more times till I was finally satisfied.
Just take your time. It will be worth it.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
@Bluto. Thanks! That was my plan. I have everything dialed in for the regular exlift hittch so i will put on the reese than the airsafe. More to follow.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #15

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
mercersburg , Pennsylvania
Class VI

Can you tell me what the actual weight of a class VI and a class V is? Tks.
wpifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

I just put my Class V AirSafe on a scale, and with the balls on it and hitch lock ready for towing, the weight is 77 pounds. That thing is made of very heavy gauge steel. It's made to last. The bags are Firestones, the same as are used on air ride suspensions and lifts and can be replaced if they're ever damaged.

I've been using my AirSafe since 2006 from coast to coast. It provides all the benefits stated on their website. It has stopped the riven-popping and skin-shearing I was experiencing towing with a heavy duty pickup.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
As an update, the Class 6 has performed flawlessly and in the few years I've had it, I can honestly say this is one great (though expensive) piece of engineering. The 3/4 ton is really hard on the trailer and the 3/4 ton jounce with the rigid connection is virtually non-existent with this in place.

If you have anything more than a 1/2 or equiv vehicle, I can say without question, this is a good piece of equipment to have, though I will admit, I no longer need a heath club membership since mounting and dismounting this from the receiver on the truck....she's a heavy monster, only exacerbated by the fact I have the Enkay mud flaps attached to it too, but well worth it IMHO.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
As an update, the Class 6 has performed flawlessly and in the few years I've had it, I can honestly say this is one great (though expensive) piece of engineering. The 3/4 ton is really hard on the trailer and the 3/4 ton jounce with the rigid connection is virtually non-existent with this in place.

If you have anything more than a 1/2 or equiv vehicle, I can say without question, this is a good piece of equipment to have, though I will admit, I no longer need a heath club membership since mounting and dismounting this from the receiver on the truck....she's a heavy monster, only exacerbated by the fact I have the Enkay mud flaps attached to it too, but well worth it IMHO.
Completely agree...

Old 06-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
model numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
That's the way I set mine up. Reese first, then Airsafe. I fooled around with my set up for quite a while. I even ended up taking trips and adjusting it a couple of more times till I was finally satisfied.
Just take your time. It will be worth it.
I am looking at selling my HaHA and getting this setup. Can someone post the model numbers of the reese strait line dual cam wd system.
When I look at them on line, there seem to be many variations of the reese system.

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Maybe someone else can field this question for Air-Texas.

The Reese set up I'm using is an old system that is from 1987. It' has the 1000# bars. Of course, the AirSafe hitch portion is only a few years old.

I am not familiar enough with the new Reese products to state which one is right for you.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote