Old 10-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
Air bags on a 2018 F250

We have a 2018 F250 Power Stroke to pull our 2019 Serenity 28RB. We will be using the Reese Dual Cam WD hitch. I have had a couple of friends tell me that we would benefit by changing out the factory shocks for a set of Fox shocks and by adding rear air bags. What opinions do you guys have about these two changes in our tow vehicle? Thanks

jlandreth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

Avoid add on air bags for towing...esp on a 3/4.
Wait...makes little sense to replace perfectly good shocks.
I think FoMoCo knows of which they do...👍

Disclaimer...This is my brain speaking.
Other brains will have other opinions. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have a 27 Tommy Bahama, we have a ‘17 F250 with leveling kit. We are using the ProPride hitch with WD. When we are all hooked up with WD set we have about 1” sag on the backend. But that’s because of the leveling kit.

We’ve towed now about 5000 miles and it pulls like a dream.

However, we are trading up to a classic 33 in january and because of the increase tongue weight we are going to put airbags on as well.

The truck has more than enough capacity to handle these loads without airbags. But with the leveling kit i want to eliminate the sag so it rises level.
trepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
You will want to use the WD to level the TV, not air bags. Watch this video from Fastway Trailers to see why.

https://youtu.be/XBZu39pQ8Gg

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Yup, what he said
Old 10-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandreth View Post
We have a 2018 F250 Power Stroke to pull our 2019 Serenity 28RB. We will be using the Reese Dual Cam WD hitch. I have had a couple of friends tell me that we would benefit by changing out the factory shocks for a set of Fox shocks and by adding rear air bags. What opinions do you guys have about these two changes in our tow vehicle? Thanks
Your International 28, at a GVWR of 7600 pounds, is quite a bit lighter than some (most?) SOB trailers but still can use weight distribution for safety.

Our situation is similar to yours. International 25FB with a measured tongue weight of 1040 pounds, and a F350. Hooking up without WD lowers the rear less than an inch, but removes 420 pounds from the steering axle. We use our Equalizer hitch to move some of that weight back to the steering axle, but you can hardly see the difference. Here is a link to our CAT scale worksheet from last season. I plan to apply a bit more more WD next year to increase the FALR.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
I was planning on using the Reese Dual Cam system but it appears that many people believe the Propride to be superior. Since the wife may be pulling the AS some I want whichever system is better. I wasn't sure if the airbags would benefit a WD system of any kind.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #8
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
All of the WD hitches have their fans. Whatever brand you go with, the most important thing is to have it set up correctly. This generally means that you need to learn how to do the setup, or at least check it yourself, since many dealers either don't know very much, or take shortcuts on the setup. I think using a CAT scale to take measurements and tune from there is generally agreed to be the best. There are some good background links in the spreadsheet I posted in #6.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandreth View Post
What...? Save your money...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Fort Collins , Colorado
We have a 2018 RB Serenity, with a 2018 F250SD, I don't see any need for airbags, just get a WD hitch and make sure it is set up to the right height. We load the truck bed up with grills, bikes, coolers, generator, and it is dead level. On my previous TV, an F150, I needed airbags, but not on the F250. As I stated before, the difference with the F250SD and the F150eccoboost is night and day with power, and control and towing (like it is not there). I would not add airbags, or different shocks? no need
xfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfish View Post
We have a 2018 RB Serenity, with a 2018 F250SD, I don't see any need for airbags, just get a WD hitch and make sure it is set up to the right height. We load the truck bed up with grills, bikes, coolers, generator, and it is dead level. On my previous TV, an F150, I needed airbags, but not on the F250. As I stated before, the difference with the F250SD and the F150eccoboost is night and day with power, and control and towing (like it is not there). I would not add airbags, or different shocks? no need
Thanks for the info, which WD hitch do you use?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #12

1978 31' Sovereign
Inaianapolis , Indiana
Air bags on2018 F250

I would forget doing any thing other than what you have. I am pulling a 1978 Sovereign with a 2003 1/2 ton Dodge Ram with a Hemi engine, equalizer hitch. Been doing this for over 15 years with no problems. Happy travels.
Ron Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Edgewater Park , New Jersey
We have a 30' with an F250SD Diesel and ProPride hitch.

There are all kinds of opinions about TV and hitches and here is mine:

- you don't need airbags, the F250 with the properly WD is more than sufficient

- we got the PP hitch and WD system because it is the best in many ways, it is certainly the MOST expensive, but we felt it was the way to go

This is our first season and our first TT and we have done 9 trips so far without incident. Do what you think right and ignore the rest of us!! LOL
rwsjms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Don't See the Need

We are also towing with a 2018 F250. The FX4 Crew Cab with the 6.5ft bed. We use an Equalizer Hitch to tow our 2017 Classic 30. This combination is more than up to the task.
As a side note, I used airbags on our previous truck, a 2002 GMC Sierra 1500. They helped with the ride quality when towing our SOB, which weighed significantly less than the Classic. But I knew they did not improve the towing capacity and I stayed within the weight limits of our setup. Moving up to the Classic precipitated an upgrade in the TV.
We recently added an AirRide receiver forward of the Equalizer. Could not believe the difference in tow quality. For the first 100 miles or so I found myself checking the mirrors to see if the AS was still back there. Yes, this is an expensive hitch. But it eliminated any 'chucking' motion when towing. Everything rides so much smoother. After reading other's accounts of popped rivets we consider this a good upgrade. And we have not had one cabinet pop open since moving to the AirRide, even when towing over rough gravel roads. YMMV.

Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote