Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
1964 17' Bambi II
Ogden , Utah
Air bags

It has been suggested that I purchase airbags for my 2007, half ton, full size, 4x4 Toyota Tundra pickup to raise the back of the pick up slightly to level out the front of the trailer. Has anyone had experience with purchasing these airbags? What brand? What price? Has it been a successful? Any suggestions are welcome.
mcaslaon4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Have you installed a WD (weight distributing) hitch? You should not need airbags.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
Yep...not needed if WD is correct and adjusted properly.👍

Who gave the recommendation? Firestone😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Air bags

My F250 came from the factory with the front end a little lower than the rear. I never liked that look. However, When towing with a WD hitch there is a little sag in the rear and the truck then looks level.

I then leveled the truck so that when not towing the truck is level. This then caused a bit of sag when towing even with a properly adjusted WD hitch.

I added airbags to compensate. Will also help when I am hauling heavy items in the truck. Simple install and many people use them for the same reason.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
??? "Properly" adjusted WD...If your truck rear end drops when you hitch-up and you can't get it level with WD something is wrong with your hitch set-up.

But...Bags, use 'em if you think you need 'em. TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Disclaimer...I know nothing I'm new here. 😂

Level...no bags 😗
Old 11-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Just Make Sure Before You Buy

The Automatic Level Control on my 2018 Yukon Denali XL is driving me nuts.
It works at cross purposes to my weight distribution hitch and cannot be over ridden by the operator.
If you set up your weight distribution hitch properly, you should not need air bags.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I do know that my airbags on my F150 are great about helping deal with porpoising. My WD hitch is adjusted properly according to the CAT scale but the standard shocks in my F150 are really too compliant for a load that’s fairly close to the rated load of the truck. About 40 lbs in the airbags makes all the difference.

You might be able to get a similar effect with a shock upgrade, I haven’t tried.

What I like about airbags is I can have one setting when towing and then basically turn them off when not. That makes driving the truck around town much less jarring.

I have firestone airbags with the Airlift remote. Do NOT buy the firestone wireless remote. A complete piece of junk with limited range and a confusing UI.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Air bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
??? "Properly" adjusted WD...If your truck rear end drops when you hitch-up and you can't get it level with WD something is wrong with your hitch set-up.

But...Bags, use 'em if you think you need 'em. TETO

Bob

[emoji631]

Disclaimer...I know nothing I'm new here. [emoji23]

Level...no bags [emoji10]

I sense sarcasm... :-)

However I did leave out that it was properly adjusted when first purchased. Level as well when towing AS. Agree you do not need bags to get level.

My poorly made point was that I then made adjustments to the suspension with front level kit which threw things off. I also haul heavy stuff in the bed of the truck when not towing. The bags are to help when hauling and when I need to tow the AS and am a bit over on the tongue.

I currently have 1,000 bars with the sway pro, can goto 1,500 if needed. I will have to play with the number of links I am using to get level sans bags, but very nice to have them when needed.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I am pretty sure that a lot of towers use too much WD making their combinations more unstable than they should be.

That’s an educated opinion that I happened upon while setting up my WD “the right way” only to be happier with “doing it wrong”.

I’m going to buck conventionality here and say that if your truck squats just a little in the back you might actually be doing it right.

That’s just my opinion, and it may be disregarded in total just the same as I will disregard anyone who might tell me I’m wrong about all that...

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
^
Yep

A little down squat in front=TW, which helps control.
Low trailer butt, not good.

Heavy WD bars will contribute to a stiff ride.

POI...I didn't realize Ford offered a FE "Level Kit"
“Nothing is so disappointing as unappreciated sarcasm.”
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Air bags

I am not young enough to know everything which is why I enjoy this forum.

My understanding is that we want a level TV but that the front of the AS should be slightly lower than the rear.

When I picked up my AS I measured front and back. The front of the AS was 15 inches from the ground and the rear of the AS was 16 inches from the ground, if I remember correctly. I believe this what your referring to Bob?

As for the FE level kit I don’t think they do, but depending on the build I have heard that some trucks do come level. I think for example that the snow plow option levels out the truck. Mine certainly was not level which always drove me nuts. My Rover is always level and I guess I am mister used to that look.