Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Port St. Lucie , Florida
Advice please

Ok I am a travel for work with a 25' Safari and tow it wit a ram 1500 with a Hensley hitch it tows great. My dad just bought a brand new 22' Bambi and he is going to be towing it with a brand new ram 2500. We just picked it up two weeks ago it was 150 miles from home I drove most of the way home and it towed flawlessly I could not even feel it back there my dad didn't have much of a drop hitch so the front of the trailer was a little high but it still towed completely flawlessly like I said I would never even know it was there. My dad has it in his head that he really wants to reuse his old Reese hitch system with a leveling jacks and also the sway bar control I think it is absolutely silly of him to use that being what's the point of hooking everything up and having all that stuff attached when the truck is so big in the trailer so small and it towes it perfect. I think he should just buy an adjustable drop hitch being his truck is so high and leave it simple he thinks he should hook up the rese system what are you experts think??
Thank you for the advice
Stuartsnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I would use the Reese anti-sway hitch versus just a ball connection.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
i also would use his reese, it won't hurt, help with sway and give him confidance in towing. by the way, i used my WDhitchs on my 63 Globetrotter,64 Overlander,70GT, and my 80Caravelle.06 dodge 3500 as a YV. kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:11 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Delta , Pennsylvania
Sway control is always better.
Tbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:49 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
All the Reese WD hitches I have had (3) you are able to adjust ball height. A 2500 Ram is pretty tall and to get the correct ball height you might need to get a new hitch. That being said if it makes him more comfortable and confident support his decision for a Reese WD setup. Happy camping.
Steve
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Best option

No real need for WD but Sway Control is always a good idea in case you encounter cross winds, semi trucks, etc.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:58 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Port St. Lucie , Florida
Do you know of a system that just does anti-sway? That was my thoughts exactly I think if you do weight distribution it would make it worse because the truck already doesn't go down any he puts the trailer on the truck doesn't even move.. for the people staying weight distribution should he also use the weight distribution hitch when he's towing the yard trailer? Not trying to be a smart as$ I just truly don't understand. At what point should or shouldn't you use WD hitch do some people think you should use it on any trailer even if the trailer weighs 500 lb and you're towing it with a one ton? Thank you guys I honestly truly don't understand. My thoughts being uneducated on this we're just if you tow a trailer and it towes good you don't need anything like my trailer I have the Hensley hitch because I needed it my truck was small and I camper was heavy I tow all over county. I need a wd because my truck went down so far and I needed sway because heck it swayed all over the place so when I towed with my dad's truck with just a ball I was like wow this thing towes five times better than my camper with a Hensley he doesn't need anything..
Stuartsnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I use a Reese Dual Cam on a 2500 Dodge to tow my 25'. You can get a draw bar with the proper drop. I would want the softest bars available and the trailer set up level though.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Use the sway bar. You may not need the weight distribution. A little weight on the back of a truck is a good thing. What is the tongue weight of that trailer? I use sway bar and weight distribution on my 31 ft Airstream but nothing but the ball with my two cargo and flat bed trailers. They don't sway and I have control over tongue weight. The Airstream will sway but nothing on the smaller trailers.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Lake Elsinore , ca
I was kinda in the same boat. I did not need weight distribution or load leveling nor want the extra weight on the back of the TV. I have AWD and air suspension on my Rover. I opted for the Hayes sway master and it works great. Pretty much a plug n play with 4 screws. I am going to lift the trailer and will just flip my hitch to accommodate.
TV 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
P3 controller, Hayes Sway Master.
Special-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Simple and inexpensive solution

https://www.amazon.com/Friction-Sway...ay+control+kit
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I got into the habit of looking at other trailers while I'm on the road. Horse trailers, boat trailers, motorcycle trailers, trailers with backhoe's on the bed, flatbed car trailers, enclosed race car trailers.
I have yet to see any trailer with a WD hitch except campers.
Amazingly, they don't all fly out of control and crash in the ditch.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We had a 22 sport for our first Airstream. Towed with a Tundra.
We used a simple equalizer hitch with sway bars.

A couple of times we did tow on the ball, just to evaluate the difference.

Decided that the rig rode more "as one" with the bars on.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartsnook View Post
Ok I am a travel for work with a 25' Safari and tow it wit a ram 1500 with a Hensley hitch it tows great. My dad just bought a brand new 22' Bambi and he is going to be towing it with a brand new ram 2500. We just picked it up two weeks ago it was 150 miles from home I drove most of the way home and it towed flawlessly I could not even feel it back there my dad didn't have much of a drop hitch so the front of the trailer was a little high but it still towed completely flawlessly like I said I would never even know it was there. My dad has it in his head that he really wants to reuse his old Reese hitch system with a leveling jacks and also the sway bar control I think it is absolutely silly of him to use that being what's the point of hooking everything up and having all that stuff attached when the truck is so big in the trailer so small and it towes it perfect. I think he should just buy an adjustable drop hitch being his truck is so high and leave it simple he thinks he should hook up the rese system what are you experts think??
Thank you for the advice
In my opinion you should not use a WD hitch with a RAM 2500 pulling such a small load. The reason for this is that the RAM, and most other pickup trucks, are already loaded too heavily on the front axle. A RAM 2500 diesel unloaded has a 38/62 rear/front weight distribution. The rear end is too light and rear wheel traction is insufficient. A 50/50 weight distribution would be ideal but to get that you would have to put 1000 lbs on the hitch ball with no WD. Furthermore the WD hitch will add more load to the trailer axle and the Airstream 22 tires are already too heavily loaded (ask me how I know).
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Lake Elsinore , ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartsnook View Post
Do you know of a system that just does anti-sway? ..
Check out the Hayes Sway Master, there is also another unit out of texas or something that is just a electronic sway control device. The Hayes is a newer device and i could not find a lot of reviews but i bought one anyways due to not needing WD. I have only had it a month but after a couple trips with it Im happy. It does do a great job at controlling sway.
TV 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
P3 controller, Hayes Sway Master.
Special-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-Ed View Post
Check out the Hayes Sway Master, there is also another unit out of texas or something that is just a electronic sway control device. The Hayes is a newer device and i could not find a lot of reviews but i bought one anyways due to not needing WD. I have only had it a month but after a couple trips with it Im happy. It does do a great job at controlling sway.
A new RAM, and probably most other newer trucks, have electronic sway control. An accelerometer detects trailer sway and automatically applies the appropriate brake to eliminate the problem. But your Airstream will never sway as long as you load it so that you have at least 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote