Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Advice on using air bags with a WD hitch

We’re about to take delivery of a 2018 FC 25FBT
that we’d like to pull with a F150 3.5 Ecoboost SuperCrew 4x4 that has a GVWR of 7000 lbs and currently had a total load rating of 1863 lbs according to the door label. It also has after market airbag suspension assist on the rear.

I haven’t bought the weight distribution hitch yet but was leaning towards the Andresen.

I’m also adding solar and lithium and hence can move the batteries further back in the trailer to shift more weight off the hitch. Normally I’d put them under one of the the beds but could put them over the axles if really necessary.

My question is this. Since the the truck already has air bags, should I use them in some way when settting up the WD hitch or just deflate them and let the hitch do what it does?

Second question would it make sense to upgrade the truck’s tires from the stock Goodyear 275/65R18 116’s? Would that give me more load capacity?
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Vancouver , British Columbia
Perhaps you should watch this video.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
To answer your questions in the most direct manner:
No.
No.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Before the purchase of an Anderson or any other hitch, do extensive research. Understand what it will and won't do. Specifically, understand the trailer coupler requirements for the Anderson hitch. Good luck with your investigation. Pat

Post 18 in the link below is HowiE's. He has considerable info on the Anderson as he reports lots of practical experience.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ch-141594.html
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
We’re about to take delivery of a 2018 FC 25FBT
that we’d like to pull with a F150 3.5 Ecoboost SuperCrew 4x4 that has a GVWR of 7000 lbs and currently had a total load rating of 1863 lbs according to the door label. It also has after market airbag suspension assist on the rear.

I haven’t bought the weight distribution hitch yet but was leaning towards the Andresen.

I’m also adding solar and lithium and hence can move the batteries further back in the trailer to shift more weight off the hitch. Normally I’d put them under one of the the beds but could put them over the axles if really necessary.

My question is this. Since the the truck already has air bags, should I use them in some way when settting up the WD hitch or just deflate them and let the hitch do what it does?

Second question would it make sense to upgrade the truck’s tires from the stock Goodyear 275/65R18 116’s? Would that give me more load capacity?
For what purpose are you purchasing the airbags?
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
I have a ram truck with airbags and found that 15 lbs works good with the equalizer hitch
I use about 7 lbs when not towing
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
For what purpose are you purchasing the airbags?
The truck had the airbags from when I had a much lighter trailer. They were great in that situation when we were doing a lot of serious off road driving in that it allowed the trailer more freedom of movement over rough roads. It was was also easier to hitch and unhitch.

If I was starting our with the 25FC I wouldn’t have bothered with them. Now that they are there, though, I was wondering if there is any utility to them as I am pretty close on the payload side with this truck.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:56 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Best to let the WDH operate w/o interference.

The WDH should be able to restore the front axle solo weight value, something the Andersen isn’t known for once TW gets above 400# (good luck finding scale tickets in evidence).

A WDH will take 20%+ of the TW off the TV when set that way.

And axle limits are what matter. “Payload” is pretty much what’s carried in bed, rear axle; not applicable.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbecke View Post
I have a ram truck with airbags and found that 15 lbs works good with the equalizer hitch
I use about 7 lbs when not towing
What did you notice improved when adding those 8 lbs?

My AS dealer likes to install the BlueOx SwayPro hitches. Should I take his advice instead of the Andersen?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:45 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A BO isn’t the best, but theres naught worse than an Andersen.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
You can use the air bags just don't have them making up for improper hitch set up.

Set them to the minimum pressure or 10 PSI and then do your hitch set up and measurements as you would with any spring suspension.

If the settles more than 1" at the back you need more pressure on the torsion bars not more air in the bags.

Set up properly you will not have any load capacity issues with an F150. They are a well proven tow vehicle, thousands are using them over many millions of miles I have yet to see any issue ever due to load capacity.

If you like send me an email and I can send you a couple of sheets on how to configure your weight distribution properly. On your combination we would use a 12 or 1400 pound Eaz-Lift weight distribution kit with 2 friction sway controls, We use Reese snap ups because the Eaz-Lift ones have a poor geometry so they are harder to connect. We use our own hitch shanks because the Eaz-Lift ones are now Cast Iron which we won't use.

I hope this helps.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:57 AM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I tow with a 2015 F-350 diesel and use the Andersen hitch with a '01 Classic 30'er. I am very happy with it and have used it over 6 years now and lots of miles. It works well with my combination. Last year we had solar installed and moved to the lifeline AGM batteries and moved them inboard below the front couch. It reduced the tongue weight by 80 # so if that was your goal it might work for you. I went from 880#TW to 800#. Don't expect any greater reduction.

Merry Christmas to you and hope to see ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #13
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I sometimes use my air bags for taking the trailer to the dump station if at a park for more than a week. It is only slightly less work than installing the WD bars. The help raise the TV rear to help avoid striking the tongue jack when going over large dips or potholes in the road.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A BO isn’t the best, but theres naught worse than an Andersen.
I have used Reese, Equalizer, and 3 Blue Ox hitches over the last 13 years, towing 3 different-25' AS's (with an F150 EB)and now have a new 28'FC (with an F250). The Reese worked fine but was a hassle setting up. The Equalizer stabilizer bar broke when backing up shortly after we picked up our 2008 25' AS. I replaced with a new Blue Ox; only one dealer had in stock. Worked great next 2.5 years. When I got my 3rd 25'FC few years back, I chose a new Blue Ox with 1000lb bars and it worked great for the 3 years I owned it. I have a new Blue Ox with 1500lb bars for my current 28'FC. I am very pleased with all around performance. Great hitch for the money, easy to set up once you learn proper set up, and provides good Weight Distribution and Anti-sway protection. So many hitches, so little time! "Best" is a matter of opinion.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJim View Post
Perhaps you should watch this video.

Excellent lesson on WDH vs airbags! Good job!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
BO is step down from the Dual Cam. Which in turn is a staircase down from the VPP hitches. Best is a question of design.

And one doesn’t need a video to understand that airbags can’t leverage TW onto the front axle.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

And one doesn’t need a video to understand that airbags can’t leverage TW onto the front axle.
Actually, quite a few do. Hence why the video was made. Not everything is intuitive to everyone.
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
I find that adding some air simply "tightens" up the feel of the back end
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbecke View Post
I find that adding some air simply "tightens" up the feel of the back end
Interesting. I assume you adjusted the WD hitch with the bags at their minimum and then added a little air until it felt tighter. Is that correct? Do you find that messes with your headlight aiming?
Old 01-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Somewhere it snows , Ohio
I will be towing my new 27FB twin when the winter ends up here in the great white north. I have an F150 EB, WDH and airbags. The WDH was installed by the dealer for the drive home but the trailer was empty so I will re-install once it it loaded. I have towed for many years and also other trailers and this truck has all the towing bells and whistles, nearly 2000 lbs cargo capacity, etc.

I am thinking to air up the air bags about half way and not change it, then install and adjust the hitch. Using the WDH hitch to level and distribute weight back to the front, etc. just like the air bags are not there. I will check everything out at the CAT scales, etc.

Can some of you comment on my thoughts that follow:

With the airbags inflated half way as the base, I will then have the ability to basically loosen and tighten my spring bar geometry on the fly (I have an on-board compressor with remote). Theory is that since you raise the trailer with the tongue jack to make it easier to add the bars in the first place that if you raise the rig with the airbags it would in effect "flatten" out the bars and reduce WDH effect. The opposite would also be true, bleed out air thus tightening the bars increasing the effect of the WDH. This would only be messed with to fine tune the ride in case of bad roads, porpoising, high winds, etc. Under normal conditions I would leave the airbags at the mid-point. An additional benefit would be the ability to temporarily lower the rear of the TV with a corresponding raising of the rear of the trailer to gain an inch or two of ground clearance going over a curb, backing into an uphill camp site, etc to decrease the risk of tail drag.

Any thoughts on all of this? Does it make sense? OR is it just easier to take the airbags out of the equation all together by keeping them at low pressure all the time. I do understand that the Airbags will not move weight, etc.

Some comments on this thread have mentioned adjusting the WDH with minimal air in the air bags, THEN inflating the bags after hookup. In my opinion this is the opposite that should be done since it messes with the angle of the hitch after adjusting.

Comments for anyone with experience using both would be greatly appreciated.
Airdream99 is offline   Reply With Quote