Old 01-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Are there any videos of these different types of sway control in action? I'd like to see what the mechanical interaction. Thanks.
Bill

Old 01-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #31

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Tempe , Arizona
Husky newer style

The Husky newer style units do not have chains and allow you to back up easily and turn the trailer without the drag of the traditional hitches. The bars provide the sway control. Paid about $900 for mine. Towing at 80 MPH no problem if you desire to do so. I am not an expert about the other brands available so there may be other equivalent items.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Here is the sum of the whole problem: You have just invested over $100.000 in your rig. Why even question the insurance? Hensley advertises that they have never had an accident caused by sway with an Airstearm trailer. Now, if you get the Hensley and you have an accident you won't be kicking yourself the rest of your life because you didn't buy the best. If you don't have an accident you will be congratulating yourself the rest of your life for making that great decision. So the Hensley is a win - win. And who would argue over the $3,000 for the Hensley when it is protecting a $100,000 + investment? One more advantage of the Hensley is that it allows for better trailer tracking in the city. That is you can turn tighter corners without jumping the curbs. Has been really great for me and my 50,000 miles. Watch the Hensley video on their website.

Good luck and safe RVing

GRA
Old 01-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
[QUOTE=Tom_T;1575241
Others have their opinions & preferences, so it's a bit like asking about religion or politics!
/[/QUOTE]

Indeed!

While a VPP system is a great idea, others have great results with an ordinary WDH. I am still very happy with an Eaz-Lift with a pair of friction sway controls. I have no sway issues; passing trucks are largely a non-issue. I drive down the highway with 2 fingers on the steering wheel and see no need to upgrade.

Getting back to the OP's question, if you get your hitch from the dealer, choose a round bar system rather than the trunnion type for better travel through dips. Either the friction sway control system (2 if the trailer is longer than 25 feet) or Reese's proprietary dual cam system should do the job.

The key is setup - the right ball height with a rearward cant and enough tension on the bars to send tongue weight to the front tires of the tow vehicle and level things out.

If you don't want to spend the money on a VPP, but don't like your conventional WDH, make sure it's set up properly. I have to agree with Andy Thomson - most that I see on the road are obviously not.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #34
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Advice on hitch and sway control

Had we known the PPP and Hensley existed, we would most likely have picked one of those. Because we were new to towing, didn't know about the forums or our hitch options and trusted our dealer, we wound up with an Equal-i-zer for our rig. We've been very happy thus far, but the next time we have to buy a hitch it will probably be a PP even though we've read more than once on the forums that hitching up (stinger insertion) can sometimes be tricky with PP or Hensley until one gets the hang of it.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:07 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I think it's all about correct hitch installation and what TV you have. With the proper match, most major brand systems should work well. I have used my Equalizer on both Airstreams that I have owned (25 ft. Safari & 27 ft. Flying Cloud). My TV is Ram 2500 Diesel. I have driven the Interstates at 70+ MPH with cross winds, 18 wheelers (passing them and being passed), etc., and there were times that I had to check my mirrors to see if the trailer was still behind me. I have never experienced sway, etc.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:59 PM   #36

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Yorklyn, DE 19736 , Delaware
I had a Reese hitch installed by a reputable dealer of Airstreams on a 23' FC that i was towing with a Eddie Bauer expedition. After a year, a WDB
slipped off the cam rocker as I was doing a wide 360 turn in a shopping center parking lot. Perhaps it needed readjustment . I got rid of it and got a Pro Pride. Save yourself a lot of worry and invest in a Pro Pride..It's the best hitch on the market and will protect your invest.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:57 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The VPP brands will control the trailer past the point where the others cannot.

I hope that's simple enough.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post
Hensley advertises that they have never had an accident caused by sway with an Airstearm trailer. One more advantage of the Hensley is that it allows for better trailer tracking in the city. That is you can turn tighter corners without jumping the curbs. Has been really great for me and my 50,000 miles.

GRA
What they don't advertise is that when the hitches break you have lots of sway and you will be lucky to walk away with your life. Yes they are great hitches when they work and yes they can do tight turns and yes they are a breeze to hook up. But all of that is negated in a micro-second when you hear bang and the sway is uncontrollable. I was fortunate. Others weren't.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 PM   #39
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
What they don't advertise is that when the hitches break you have lots of sway and you will be lucky to walk away with your life. Yes they are great hitches when they work and yes they can do tight turns and yes they are a breeze to hook up. But all of that is negated in a micro-second when you hear bang and the sway is uncontrollable. I was fortunate. Others weren't.
Care to elaborate? Wouldn't any hitch have problems if it BROKE? Are you suggesting that the Hensley/ProPride break?

I have a 2014 25' FC with an F150 tow vehicle and 600 lb Equalizer hitch set up by Colonial. I get a fair bit of sway when passed by semis and am not entirely pleased with the combination for that reason. If I stay with it I will try LT tires instead of the stock P rated tires on the Ford.

But, I am looking at purchasing a 30' Bunk and will likely upgrade to a 3/4 ton pickup instead. Along with that purchase I am seriously considering a ProPride hitch to go with it. So am interested in your thoughts.

And btw, my current setup is probably a useful datapoint for the OP.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:16 PM   #40
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post

Nobody advertises when their hitch 'breaks', a rather maloufeous statement if I do say so myself.

Post some photo's.....

And BTW.....an accident isn't sway, it's an accident.

Bob
Old 02-01-2015, 12:58 AM   #41
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have witnessed an Eze-Lift spring bar failure, a ProPride 2X2" stinger bend and weld failure, and a worn out Hensley. All were replaced by the manufacturers. The point is, at sometime or other, all have metallurgical quality issues that are unseen to the human eye of the QC inspector. Parts are inspected by various internal methods on a random basis and welds sometimes fail even though they are performed by a certified welder. That is the nature of man mad things.

Here is a list of common oversight/problems.
1. Improperly adjusted hitches.
2. Most trailer drivers don't realize the sway control devices are a real hazard in inclement weather. If you leave them tensioned they can cause the rig to slide all over the place in gusty wind and rain (think hydroplaning). Also, they need to be un-tensioned when you back up or they will bend or break off mounting balls.

I have towed since 1970 and have seen/had lots of near misses. Eleven years ago I purchased a Hensley Arrow, first pulling a 35' SilverStreak and then my current 2006 Classic 35' SOD. On my first trip in the Airstream, I was just entering Pennsylvania on I-90 east bound, and had to do an emergency lane change at 65 MPH, to avoid a tractor/trailer's tire/wheel coming at my drivers door across the interstate from the west bound lane. I remember, like it was yesterday, that this is it, I'm going to roll my new Airstream. As the tire/wheel went down the left side of my truck and Airstream I saw another vehicle at my left rear trailer corner. The tire and wheel went between the two of use, but it only scraped the bottom of the slide. The wind draft around my truck obviously saved me from a disaster. At several points in time I saw the tire/wheel in the air as it bounced crossed the median onto my side coming at me. It apparently came out of the spare tire rack under a trailer. I did not see which truck/trailer it came from.

Because item 2, above. I know the Hensley ProPride hitches are superior to all others. It is the geometry of the trapezoid design that prevents the tail from "wagging the dog" so to speak. Even fifth wheels do not have the form of rigidity that makes the rig act as one vehicle. also, i have never read or heard of a Hensley jackknifing. I believe due to rigidity, the whole rig would tend to swap ends. I don't know? Haven't been there , don't want go there.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:19 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Smile

Yup. I have a ProPride. Emergency lane changes in the Phoenix area, plus panic stops in the same area--I'm firmly convinced the PP saved our cheese every time. Yeah, it took some experimenting to dial it in, some heavy lifting to install it, and yeah, sometimes its fun to watch dear ol' dad take 6 tries to hit the stinger opening (without a backup camera, btw), but darn it, the trailer tracks the TV and I LIKE that...

Besides, hooking up the plain old ball hitch we used before the PP was just as big a PITA without the backup camera that's part of the new truck....I really don't mind being fun to watch...occasionally. I'd just rather not be upside down on the highway--ever!

The AS video above with a long AS tracking the van is how ours acts in any hard maneuver, in my experience. If something breaks or blows out, well, then it gets interesting, in the Spockian sense...

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote