Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #21
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The best hitch is the one you have. Have towed with Reese, Equalizer, Hensley and on the ball with nothing but $50 sway bar. They will all work...depending on the size of the trailer and tow vehicle. If you don't like the one you have, sell it and buy a different one.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
O.P. has a 2015 25' FC Airstream and 2013 F150 Ecobooost. Question is about hitch recommendation for his combo.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
The engineer who originally designed the Hensley left that company and started ...with others...the Pro Pride...and "enhanced" the product. We have the Pro Pride, and "we won't leave home without it"!

We have NEVER experienced any sway problems while on the road, either from passing trucks or weather. It is as stable as an immoveable rock!
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #24
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
We have the Hensley Cub - a lighter wt. capacity & $1000 less costly version of the Arrow for trailers 6000# & less with max 600# HW - which suits our vintage 1960 Avion T20 fine at 3000# +/- & it's a bit more squirrelly naturally without anti-sway, being a single axle. We love it!

Since we're still renting until we find our preferred TV, we've towed with both Ford F150 & F250 with their built-in AS, as well as with Dodge 2500's & the prior to current body-on-frame Nissan Pathfinders - which are close in wheelbase & size to the Cayenne S we're looking for now.

The Cub worked great on all types, & was a huge improvement over the 2 tows on a bare ball!!

Others have their opinions & preferences, so it's a bit like asking about religion or politics!

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:05 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Mill Valley , Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
O.P. has a 2015 25' FC Airstream and 2013 F150 Ecobooost. Question is about hitch recommendation for his combo.
I have a 23'FC FB witha F-250 and a blue -ox system. It feels like it's not even behind me

JB
jbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
It's funny you state that. The thing that comes to mind Bob, is the number of folks on this site ho espouse the idea of NO DEBT lifestyle and eschew credit. If you're one of these people, than a 2~3K hitch becomes a big deal vs a $300 hitch when you'll be paying cash. (also, most of the folks on this forum are older, and many on fixed retirement incomes) And it makes it something folks have to plan for, and obviously, that would mean considering if it is even worth the investment or not.

Not to say it isn't worth the investment, but I can think of a lot of expensive things folks think are worth the money that simply are not, and are just a "me too" purchase.

Me, I'm planning for it. In my own order of operations, which means I'll use what came with mine until I finish the other big dollar items on my list, cause it works.

I bought mine used for $1,200 delivered to my door. If a budget minded person is patient, well.. You know.

I doubt that 90% of the people who have pulled with one of these hitches will say it is a "me too" purchase.

In a day where unmet expectations are the rule, especially concerning "premium products", this purchase for me delightfully lived up to every bit up to the hype.

Simple geometry integrated into a simple product that very effectively deals with an issue in a simply elegant manner.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
Don't forget the importance of tires

I won't go into details, but my second airstream was a 27-footer. It had anti-sway & load levelers, but it didn't seem super stable. I was pulling it with a 1/2 ton Silverado and a couple of years ago I rolled it. (I initially purchased a 1/2 ton pickup because I was pulling a 17-foot Airstream, then added the 27-footer).

I replaced the 27-footer with a 25-foot Airstream. A few months back I noticed my truck tires were getting weather-checked and having purchased them at Costco asked them about it. As the tires were about 4 1/2 years old they did a pro-rata replacement based on remaining tread (all tire warranties go away at 5-years). Upon further discussion I found that the 3/4 ton & 1-ton trucks use higher pressure tires than the 1/2 ton trucks.

I wound up replacing my four "Michelin Latitude Tour tires P245/65R17" with "Michelin LTX M/S 2, ALL SEASON, LT265/70R17 LRE ORWL, MSPN 97723" tires. The original tires were the largest recommended for the 1/2 ton pickup and had a max pressure of 44 psi, whereas the new tires had a max pressure of 80 psi. (A set of four of the replacement tires cost about $250 more than replacing with the original tires, or about $1,300 if purchased outright).

The towing difference with these more rigid sidewall tires were like night and day. In fact, I wondered if I might not have rolled my 27-foot Airstream if I would have had these tires on the truck.

Inflation: Everybody I talked to had different recommended pressures for the new tires. I settled in on 70 psi for the front tires, 75 psi for the rear, and 40 psi for the spare (I didn't upgrade the spare).

Now, I haven't addressed the anti-sway system as I'm not an expert there, other than to say make sure you also have a good anti-sway system. I've seen people towing new Airstreams without anti-sway and I ask them why, before relating my story of having rolled one. They typically say the dealer told them they didn't need one.

I have to confess that on my older 17-footer I only have a load-leveler hitch. With it I have never noticed any sway issues, so I am OK leaving it as it is (I almost never use it, as we use the 25-footer almost exclusively).

My whole point here is anti-sway systems are extremely important, but with a 1/2 ton pickup tire selection can also make a vast difference.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyel View Post
Just purchased a new 2015 FC Twin from Tampa RV today. They offer the Reese hitch and sway control system. I have a 2013 Ford F150 super crew Ecoboost with tow package for a TV. After reading the forum on hitches and sway control I'm really at a loss as to what to purchase. The F150 states it has a sway control as standard feature but I don't know if this is all I need to tow the 25' FC?? Any comments on this subject?

Does anyone use the Reese system or is there one that is considered the best?

Sold a 40' Tiffin Class A several years ago and I used a Blue Ox to tow a Honda CRV for over 38000 miles but sway control was not needed.

Thanks
As you can see, opinions are free here....we are on our 3rd 25' and second twin; this time a new 2014, 25'FC front bed twin model. We have 2012 SuperCrew F150 4X4, Patinum. We have had Reese dual cam, Hensley both of which came with first 2 AS's. The Reese was fine with our 06' model. The Hensley was worn with our 08' model and did not last long; we replaced with BlueOx Sway Pro; towed for 7K+ miles and when we purchased our new 2014 in June last year, we selected the new BlueOx SwayPro. Money not an object; we simply had good experience with the SwayPro sow why switch? Now have 5K miles and no issues...I see the Equalizer "only" thread, and I read about the "add a washer here; take out a washer there" back and forth. We certainly don't have those issues with SwayPro. After 3 25' AS's and no issues at all with BlueOx SwayPro, we would purchase again when we upgrade to next model- hopefully, with ducted air! My 2 cents....
Forgot to add; we disengage the automatic Sway Sensor each time we start the engine, when we are pulling the AS...I was told by 2 dealers, it works against the anti-sway with SwayPro tow system we use on the AS... not an expert here, but again, no issues over past 3 years and lots of miles...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Are there any videos of these different types of sway control in action? I'd like to see what the mechanical interaction. Thanks.
Bill
Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:43 PM   #31

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Tempe , Arizona
Husky newer style

The Husky newer style units do not have chains and allow you to back up easily and turn the trailer without the drag of the traditional hitches. The bars provide the sway control. Paid about $900 for mine. Towing at 80 MPH no problem if you desire to do so. I am not an expert about the other brands available so there may be other equivalent items.
LelandMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Here is the sum of the whole problem: You have just invested over $100.000 in your rig. Why even question the insurance? Hensley advertises that they have never had an accident caused by sway with an Airstearm trailer. Now, if you get the Hensley and you have an accident you won't be kicking yourself the rest of your life because you didn't buy the best. If you don't have an accident you will be congratulating yourself the rest of your life for making that great decision. So the Hensley is a win - win. And who would argue over the $3,000 for the Hensley when it is protecting a $100,000 + investment? One more advantage of the Hensley is that it allows for better trailer tracking in the city. That is you can turn tighter corners without jumping the curbs. Has been really great for me and my 50,000 miles. Watch the Hensley video on their website.

Good luck and safe RVing

GRA
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
[QUOTE=Tom_T;1575241
Others have their opinions & preferences, so it's a bit like asking about religion or politics!
/[/QUOTE]

Indeed!

While a VPP system is a great idea, others have great results with an ordinary WDH. I am still very happy with an Eaz-Lift with a pair of friction sway controls. I have no sway issues; passing trucks are largely a non-issue. I drive down the highway with 2 fingers on the steering wheel and see no need to upgrade.

Getting back to the OP's question, if you get your hitch from the dealer, choose a round bar system rather than the trunnion type for better travel through dips. Either the friction sway control system (2 if the trailer is longer than 25 feet) or Reese's proprietary dual cam system should do the job.

The key is setup - the right ball height with a rearward cant and enough tension on the bars to send tongue weight to the front tires of the tow vehicle and level things out.

If you don't want to spend the money on a VPP, but don't like your conventional WDH, make sure it's set up properly. I have to agree with Andy Thomson - most that I see on the road are obviously not.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:04 PM   #34
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Advice on hitch and sway control

Had we known the PPP and Hensley existed, we would most likely have picked one of those. Because we were new to towing, didn't know about the forums or our hitch options and trusted our dealer, we wound up with an Equal-i-zer for our rig. We've been very happy thus far, but the next time we have to buy a hitch it will probably be a PP even though we've read more than once on the forums that hitching up (stinger insertion) can sometimes be tricky with PP or Hensley until one gets the hang of it.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I think it's all about correct hitch installation and what TV you have. With the proper match, most major brand systems should work well. I have used my Equalizer on both Airstreams that I have owned (25 ft. Safari & 27 ft. Flying Cloud). My TV is Ram 2500 Diesel. I have driven the Interstates at 70+ MPH with cross winds, 18 wheelers (passing them and being passed), etc., and there were times that I had to check my mirrors to see if the trailer was still behind me. I have never experienced sway, etc.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:59 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Yorklyn, DE 19736 , Delaware
I had a Reese hitch installed by a reputable dealer of Airstreams on a 23' FC that i was towing with a Eddie Bauer expedition. After a year, a WDB
slipped off the cam rocker as I was doing a wide 360 turn in a shopping center parking lot. Perhaps it needed readjustment . I got rid of it and got a Pro Pride. Save yourself a lot of worry and invest in a Pro Pride..It's the best hitch on the market and will protect your invest.
2015fc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The VPP brands will control the trailer past the point where the others cannot.

I hope that's simple enough.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post
Hensley advertises that they have never had an accident caused by sway with an Airstearm trailer. One more advantage of the Hensley is that it allows for better trailer tracking in the city. That is you can turn tighter corners without jumping the curbs. Has been really great for me and my 50,000 miles.

GRA
What they don't advertise is that when the hitches break you have lots of sway and you will be lucky to walk away with your life. Yes they are great hitches when they work and yes they can do tight turns and yes they are a breeze to hook up. But all of that is negated in a micro-second when you hear bang and the sway is uncontrollable. I was fortunate. Others weren't.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:20 PM   #39
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
What they don't advertise is that when the hitches break you have lots of sway and you will be lucky to walk away with your life. Yes they are great hitches when they work and yes they can do tight turns and yes they are a breeze to hook up. But all of that is negated in a micro-second when you hear bang and the sway is uncontrollable. I was fortunate. Others weren't.
Care to elaborate? Wouldn't any hitch have problems if it BROKE? Are you suggesting that the Hensley/ProPride break?

I have a 2014 25' FC with an F150 tow vehicle and 600 lb Equalizer hitch set up by Colonial. I get a fair bit of sway when passed by semis and am not entirely pleased with the combination for that reason. If I stay with it I will try LT tires instead of the stock P rated tires on the Ford.

But, I am looking at purchasing a 30' Bunk and will likely upgrade to a 3/4 ton pickup instead. Along with that purchase I am seriously considering a ProPride hitch to go with it. So am interested in your thoughts.

And btw, my current setup is probably a useful datapoint for the OP.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:16 PM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post

Nobody advertises when their hitch 'breaks', a rather maloufeous statement if I do say so myself.

Post some photo's.....

And BTW.....an accident isn't sway, it's an accident.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote