Old 01-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
A beat up subject, but....

TIRES! I've read most of the posts on here about changing out GY Marathon tires for Michelin LT tires & honestly I agree as its a great upgrade & I'm not looking for more reasons to do it just an answer to a simple question. Presuming the GYM are properly maintained & run at 65 mph or less how long can I expect to safely run them? Is two years or 15k miles to long or is one year and the same mileage realistic?

TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Great question. I have a 22 Sport. I would like to "use up" the life on the original tires. When it is time to change them out, I will look at upgrading at that time. But would like some realistic information/experiences with useful life expectancy for the OEM tires.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I have the same question Joe, but I doubt that anyone can provide a definitive answer. There are just too many variables. My plan right now is to just keep my eye on them, keep the speed down, keep them properly inflated, and hope to get at least a couple of years out of them. I hope to take a similar approach with my batteries and inverter/charging system.

I will eventually upgrade both, but would like to get some life out of my initial investment first.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
I have the same question Joe, but I doubt that anyone can provide a definitive answer. There are just too many variables. My plan right now is to just keep my eye on them, keep the speed down, keep them properly inflated, and hope to get at least a couple of years out of them. I hope to take a similar approach with my batteries and inverter/charging system.

I will eventually upgrade both, but would like to get some life out of my initial investment first.
I agree on all three points. We're doing a cross country starting in May & don't want tire issues as we go.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We had a 2005 Safari 25FB that we purchased new. It had OEM Goodyear Marathons.

The Marathons worked well until about the 10,000 mile mark when we had our first catastrophic failure (blow out). We replaced it with another Marathon. In the following 2,000 miles, we experienced two more Marathon blow outs. This was all with in our first year of Airstream ownership.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I wonder what your insurance deductible amount is?

Four of the Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires cost around $500.00 plus taxes and will mount on the factory 15" wheels. Two of the 16" SenDel T03-66655T wheels and Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires would be around $800 (less if selling the original 15" wheels and tires) and would be appropriate for a single axle trailer.

Peace of mind of not worrying about the tires before an incident with the stock GYM ST225/75R15D tires would be worth it to me to swap out sooner than later.

A recent GYM tire incident generated a $9,000+ repair bill and the trailer was tied up for over a month.

Since I started reading the forum in September of 2012, there have been no reports of a Michelin tire failure. There have been a few flats to be sure from road hazards, but no additional damage to the trailer.

I switched to Michelin tires on all three of the Airstreams I have had and do own as soon as I got the unit to my storage lot from the dealership with the exception of the 23D where I did the tire swap on location at the dealership that was several thousand miles from Arizona..

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
TIRES! I've read most of the posts on here about changing out GY Marathon tires for Michelin LT tires & honestly I agree as its a great upgrade & I'm not looking for more reasons to do it just an answer to a simple question. Presuming the GYM are properly maintained & run at 65 mph or less how long can I expect to safely run them? Is two years or 15k miles to long or is one year and the same mileage realistic?
Colonial Airstream's Patrick Botticelli answers this question 1 minute and 20 seconds into their video, "Airstream Tire Information", seen below, along with other good information about tire care.

Additional information is seen in the thread "A Marathon tire repair."

Airstream Tire Information
Old 01-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It is my OPINION that all ST tires are built down to a price point as the OEM trailer manufacturers are extremely price conscious. So, you get a minimum quality tire which is just barely adequate for the job.

The cost in dollars for Airstream wheel and side wall repairs, emotional distress of both the damage and changing a tire on the road, and the safety issues involved both in having a flat or blowout while traveling plus the safety of changing the tire makes me happy to have made the change to LT type tires in the 16" wheel size for both my Argosy and my Airstream.

One additional thought. When I was 40, changing a tire beside the road was not fun but I could do it fairly easily. In my 70's now, with various health issues, makes a roadside tire change come close to dangerous to my physical health. I thus try to minimize the possibility of it happening with better quality tires to begin with.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I am trying to think why we want to obtain some usage out of a tire that has been proven to have early failures.

I think it is about the expense of replacement. If this is the case then we can calculate the cost to use a set of tire for 40K miles?
Replacement cost divided by 40K would be approximately 2 1/2 cents per mile. Many of us spend that much on oil changes.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We run our single axle 20 the first two years thinking we should get our money's worth, bought TPMS to "protect" us from blowout damage. Then I learned that GYM failures had sometimes occurred so quickly the TPMS warning did NOT save the trailer from damage.

We traded for a new Airstream at that point and the first thing I did was put on 16" Sendels and Michelins. As the GYM's were near new, I got decent money for them and the wheels so the new wheels/tires cost us $1,000. Haven't got around to buying new TPMS sensors yet and not sure we will.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
The GYM's have a speed rating of 65 MPH. Between that and the risk of trailer damage with a failure I'd ditch them in short order.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I'm in the minority here but I've run GYMs on my boat since 1994. I had one blow out on a 12 year old tire. I replaced the 3 tires with another set of GYMs. My AS has 4 GYMs put on by the original owner just before selling it to the PO I bought it from. He had it for 2 years, the tires are in year 5, no issues. I've had it (and them) for 2 years without any problems. I just made a trip to Florida and don't plan on replacing them until next year.

I've had relatively few tire failures in my years of driving. I'm religious about checking tire pressure, tread wear, alignment, storage, etc. from the day I buy them. I'm a believer in "take care of your equipment and it will take care of you". I went through a bunch of Carlisles on another boat trailer, they lasted about 2 years each.

If you are someone who takes care of your equipment then I think you'll be fine with the GYMs but if you don't feel safe and have the money to spend, then go with another brand. When my GYMs reach end of life I'll be putting on another set, I have no personal reason to change brands. Good Year is a good company and my experience is they make a good tire. Your mileage may vary.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My original Marathons are about three years old, about the the age popular consensus believes failure accelerates. One Marathon has already failed, replaced by some no name brand.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I've had zero problems with my Maxxis tires but I will be replacing them with Michelin as they have aged out. Why take the risk?