Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #43
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
John,

I've noticed that for the last couple of years. I remember where you always passed the UPS 18 wheelers because I think their trucks were restricted to 55 mph. Not any more since I do see them traveling faster. I also remember until recently when Illinois had a 55 mph limit on trucks, trailers, and RV's. I used to like driving there since I typically wasn't passed by truckers. I think that limitation is gone.

Missouri was always pedal to the metal for the 18 wheelers. I used to hate to see them barreling down on me. A lot of those guys used to travel 75 mph +. Lately though they seem to be traveling between 60 and 70 on the interstates here. I wonder if it has anything to do with GPS tracking for company owned trucks or just the cost of fuel?

Jack
Different companies do different things. WM used to limit their trucks to 62mph, a couple of different drivers have told me their limits have been raised to 68mph, but if they get a speeding ticket they are toast. Knight Freight Lines used to be limited to 58 mph (one of the slowest in the country), but I think they have been upped now too. There was an article a while back in one of the trade magazines that had the information on most of the major trucking companies. I know at least two that train the drivers to drive slightly below what traffic is moving at to keep traffic moving away from them to reduce the chance of them plowing into someone.

Aaron
__________________

__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #44
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,327
Blog Entries: 1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Slower drivers in the right lane are not the problem... slow drivers that refuse to get out of the left lane are.

I am completely baffled by the mentality of people that think they can occupy the left lane for hours on end. I may be old school but I was taught that you move left to pass then back to the right. I have to drive I-95 between Philly, PA and Jacksonville, FL on a regular basis. It is very common to come up on someone riding the left lane at the posted speed limit or even below it, THAT is dangerous, it isn't very long before people start passing on the right and whipping in and out trying to get around the rolling road blocks. Unfortunately it seems to not be an issue to LEO.

I can see using 4-way flashers for a brief period of time if moving well below the posted speed limit while getting up to speed, or on steep grades. I use mine when traffic slows suddenly to warn vehicles behind me that speeds are reducing rapidly, once the vehicles behind me have obviously gotten the message I turn them off.

Aaron
Many states including Il. is illegal to occupy left lane use only to pass then return to rt. lane, these are drivers that cause problems slow drivers are unsafe what ever reason, if you do not care to drive speed limit get off roads... you are the ones that are unsafe drivers & cause accidents.......
__________________

__________________
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #45
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Many states including Il. is illegal to occupy left lane use only to pass then return to rt. lane, these are drivers that cause problems slow drivers are unsafe what ever reason, if you do not care to drive speed limit get off roads... you are the ones that are unsafe drivers & cause accidents.......
Got news for you... there are minimum posted speed limits on most roads so as long as you are traveling at or above that speed you are legal. And in ALL states the over taking vehicle has the burden to pass safely.

I would also suggest that you check traffic accident statistics, excessive speed for conditions contributes to more accidents than anything else.

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #46
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Different companies do different things. WM used to limit their trucks to 62mph, a couple of different drivers have told me their limits have been raised to 68mph, but if they get a speeding ticket they are toast. Knight Freight Lines used to be limited to 58 mph (one of the slowest in the country), but I think they have been upped now too. There was an article a while back in one of the trade magazines that had the information on most of the major trucking companies. I know at least two that train the drivers to drive slightly below what traffic is moving at to keep traffic moving away from them to reduce the chance of them plowing into someone.

Aaron
JB Hunt, and Schneider trucks used to be, and as far as I know, still are limited to 62 mph. I know a guy who drives for JB Hunt, and he told me they are very strict, and watch them like a hawk via the qualcomm, and any violation of company rules is grounds for immediate termination. He said they do have a good safety record, company wide.
__________________
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #47
Rivet Master
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,819
Images: 3
I often drop in at a safe distance behind a Schneider truck. They always dive safely and at a reasonable speed.
__________________
John W. Irwin
2014.5 Touring Coach, "Sabre-Dog IV"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #48
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,327
Blog Entries: 1
I stand behind what I wrote as I have had dr. lic. 64 yrs. com. lic 63 yrs. involved w/safety on railroad for 40 yrs raced stocks, midgets, sprint cars motorcycles dirt, motocross, ice, reckless driving causes accidents... I have had 2 speeding tickets all these yrs. one was for 30 in 25 speed limit the other was to get away from unsafe driver. I do not poke around on roads, I would suggest that you check accidents stats.between trucks & 4 wheelers
__________________
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #49
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
The term "speed limit" implies to me that it is a "limit" for speed...an "upper limit" that is legal.

To say generally that driving below the speed limit is "unsafe" is problematic...or at least too non-specific to be useful in this thread. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean? How much below the speed limit do you find it "unsafe"

Also, here in Bama, the 70mph areas, many many folks do 75-82 or more and very often...going 70mph means many people pass you...I know, I travel 70mph often, sometimes 65 in my VW diesel to greatly improve gas mileage. Is going 65 and a 70 very unsafe because many have to pass me? If that is the case, then also 70 in these same conditions are on this logic nearly equally unsafe, because like I said, most are going at or above 75 mph...cops dont touch you down here till 8-10 over...really more like 12-13 over....

It seems also quite impractical to tell many folks that run tires with max rated speeds of 65 to do the speed limit no matter what...although I suppose they could get off the road.

But somehow, some of your logic does make since...thus my thread...my "gut" felt like at 55mph on a 70mph highway here in my area its just too slow...but from experience driving myself 60-65 is doable really...even passing some folks already in the right lane poking down the road (which I suppose if you think about it, the regularity of these driviers on the road makes just one more relative slow poke no difference effectively.

Thanks for all the info you all...very helpful.

I will add though that while we have NASCAR fans down here...they still drive I think closer to the posted speed limits than say on I95 between DC and Philly...marked 55 and folks doing 80 all the time....it seems they have NASCAR fans too
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #50
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
in the age of the internet, I suggest if folks are going to talk about stats and argue their points, it is much more effective to provide links for all to see and to properly educate and clarify...
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #51
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,327
Blog Entries: 1
Smile speeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
The term "speed limit" implies to me that it is a "limit" for speed...an "upper limit" that is legal.

To say generally that driving below the speed limit is "unsafe" is problematic...or at least too non-specific to be useful in this thread. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean? How much below the speed limit do you find it "unsafe"

Also, here in Bama, the 70mph areas, many many folks do 75-82 or more and very often...going 70mph means many people pass you...I know, I travel 70mph often, sometimes 65 in my VW diesel to greatly improve gas mileage. Is going 65 and a 70 very unsafe because many have to pass me? If that is the case, then also 70 in these same conditions are on this logic nearly equally unsafe, because like I said, most are going at or above 75 mph...cops dont touch you down here till 8-10 over...really more like 12-13 over....

It seems also quite impractical to tell many folks that run tires with max rated speeds of 65 to do the speed limit no matter what...although I suppose they could get off the road.

But somehow, some of your logic does make since...thus my thread...my "gut" felt like at 55mph on a 70mph highway here in my area its just too slow...but from experience driving myself 60-65 is doable really...even passing some folks already in the right lane poking down the road (which I suppose if you think about it, the regularity of these driviers on the road makes just one more relative slow poke no difference effectively.

Thanks for all the info you all...very helpful.

I will add though that while we have NASCAR fans down here...they still drive I think closer to the posted speed limits than say on I95 between DC and Philly...marked 55 and folks doing 80 all the time....it seems they have NASCAR fans too
I drive 5 to 8 over limit on interstates some think 45 in70 is safe wrong, many states have 70 or more go with the flow, 45 in left lane only means safety hazard. I stand by my safety record of yrs. of driving exp. The clowns that are left lane riders & the ones that pull into left lane long before they get up to me and I come upon slow driver I can not pass because of them takes fuel to get back up to speed these are unsafe drivers. Also forgot to mention also have com. pilot lic.
__________________
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #52
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,327
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I stand behind what I wrote as I have had dr. lic. 64 yrs. com. lic 63 yrs. involved w/safety on railroad for 40 yrs raced stocks, midgets, sprint cars motorcycles dirt, motocross, ice, reckless driving causes accidents... I have had 2 speeding tickets all these yrs. one was for 30 in 25 speed limit the other was to get away from unsafe driver. I do not poke around on roads, I would suggest that you check accidents stats.between trucks & 4 wheelers
Also have com. pilots lic.
__________________
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #53
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
featherbedder - I think 40-45 is at or below posted minimums on most interstates (I think most often it is 45....

It is obvious that at "some point" in "some scenarios" driving "significant slower" than "most" traffic will be hazardous....but to be clear, are you suggesting that towing 60mph in a posted 70mph limit interstate is "unsafe"

I see also that perhaps you are speaking only of folks going slower in the left lane and not people going slower than posted limit who keep right?

I am interested in your perspective and experience, but you will need to be a touch more clear...especially with me cause I can be a dullard and miss the point
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #54
Rivet Master
 
cameront120's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,422
Images: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I drive 5 to 8 over limit on interstates some think 45 in70 is safe wrong, many states have 70 or more go with the flow, 45 in left lane only means safety hazard. I stand by my safety record of yrs. of driving exp. The clowns that are left lane riders & the ones that pull into left lane long before they get up to me and I come upon slow driver I can not pass because of them takes fuel to get back up to speed these are unsafe drivers. Also forgot to mention also have com. pilot lic.
And we're not all 'professional' drivers, so let people drive at speeds they are comfortable with. No one here is suggesting that that slow drivers should occupy the left lane. You can stand by any record you want, but don't try to impose your driving style on others. So long as people are being safe and driving legally, within their abilities, you don't have much say. Nor should you.
__________________
Cameron & the Labradors, Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #55
Moderator
 
HiHoAgRV's Avatar

 
1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,325
Images: 29
Blog Entries: 49
It's interesting to Google 'impending the flow of traffic'


http://www.ci.pasadena.ca.us/Transpo.../Speed_Limits/

http://definitions.uslegal.com/i/impeding-traffic/

http://forums.officer.com/t30489/

Wow. Lots of passion on this subject
__________________
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...num-54749.html
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ome-71609.html
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #56
Sbb
begorragirl
 
Sbb's Avatar
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,029
Images: 2
58-62, after that I do not feel I have enough control. I usually tuck in behind a truck in right lane and draft him along. Today I had a truck for over 4 hours, we waved goodby!
__________________

__________________
2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting a safe in 2012 27' FB Int Jordanparson General Interior Topics 5 02-24-2012 11:33 PM
Floor safe info vonprum General Motorhome Topics 14 01-03-2012 03:38 PM
Be safe in 2011! kevin242 Tires 5 05-19-2011 01:27 PM
Nice, safe campground near New Orleans AUTAILGATER On The Road... 4 01-21-2011 11:34 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.