cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
At the drive in
I remember those days ... In South Louisiana. We went when our Grandmother could keep us. Some great memories. Would be nice to have one nearby. I am glad you guys have that opportunity!

Speed.... Ahhhh the invoker of adrenaline...

Stop. Where are we going? To relax! I have found in my brief life of 59years, it is about the journey.

While I have been nuisanced by "slow drivers" when my job required all my driving on 2 lane roads, schedule driven, I realized, I abused my vehicles and peace of mind beyond necessary. This carried on into my personal life for years...

It all hit me one very rainy day... I was stuck behind slowpokes. "They are sure driving carefully." When arriving, a bit late, folks were upset, I said, "I am truly sorry! But, everyone was driving so safely!" They stopped. Then laughed, so I laughed, too. They said, glad you are here "safe".

What I hope I am saying, "life is a journey.." Drive within the your and your equipment envelope.

Upper limit travel is hard in everyone and everything.

On the toll road here there are 85mph speed limits... No way I am pulling our AS that hard. I ride in right lane about 60-65 on great roads. On some I do good to hit 50.

I also watch for chances to move out of way to give folks behind a way around. One way is to slow down as people pass to help them get by.. It's a Texas thing.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #30

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm of the opinion if I'm driving as fast as I feel comfortable and everyone else is flying past me, I'm on the wrong road.

I do feel its common courtesy to stay with the flow of traffic, just because I CAN legally drive 45 in a 70, doesn't mean I should, I'll exit and find a 50 mph 2 lane.

You milage may vary.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Lane discipline is non existent in the US. In the UK, where I drive a lot, on the motorways no one squats out in the fast lane. You might move all the way back across the three lanes if there is no traffic while maintaining speed.

The same concept applies on the German autobahns as well. Those two light dots turn into a vehicle quickly when they are running nearly 100 mph faster then your are driving....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Here in Alabama we have often the left lane slow pokes - probably the most irritating thing to me.

Slower traffic
Keep right!!

Mostly they are oblivious - I admit to occasionally nonchalantly getting in front of them and slowing to their speed and once they get over (of they do) - I resume usual speed - most times they don't notice

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I try to stay between 55 and 65. My truck is set to remind me when I go over 65, which I find to be a great assist. Unfortuately not all vehicles travel as fast or as slow as me. For the faster vehichles this is not a problem as they can always pass me on the interstate. I will pass the slower ones and speed up to 70 but only if I consider it safe and then back down to my travelling speed. On single lane roads I will pull to the side if need me to allow otherfaster vehicles to pass.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #34
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington

Our self imposed speed limit is 70. Where the speed limit is lower like in California, we aim for the speed limit to five above, except sometimes to pass. We do not have ST tires on the trailer, so their 65 mph max is not a factor. The 65 mph limit on the tires is the reason the trailer is restricted to a 65 mph max.

Yes, traveling significantly below the speed limit on an interstate or other limited access freeway is tempting fate. The ensuing accident may not be your fault, but it is still a big inconvenience.

Ken
Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #35
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Generally, my max speed is 65 when required to pass a slow poke who is running less than my standard interstate speed of 62-63 which is the sweet spot for my Ram 2500HD. I've tracked diesel use over 18K of towing and found my average hovers around 13 in the sweet spot and actually drops to +/- 12.5 at 59-60 mph on the flats or running at 65. Cruise control helps tremendously on long straight stretches with a view ahead.

Out West, grades can grind me down to 11.5 mpg so I drop back to 55-58 and manage to sip close to 12 mpg. Of course the really steep and/or windy sections suck fuel with minimal give back once ascended. Alabama piedmont areas should be a fuel treat.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Simple answer for me. When towing never over 60 and when not towing seldom over 65. The increase in speed usually does not result in faster travel times. Slow traffic, coffee breaks, food breaks, rest stops all negate driving too fast. Safety and road comfort is priority for me.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #37
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Pretty much the same thing here. We avoid interstates like the plague whenever we can, in good measure because interstates seem to be the best way to avoid seeing the country.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Simple answer for me. When towing never over 60 and when not towing seldom over 65. The increase in speed usually does not result in faster travel times. Slow traffic, coffee breaks, food breaks, rest stops all negate driving too fast. Safety and road comfort is priority for me.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
My average interstate trip is about 3500 miles and I do this twice a year. I usually drive 62 MPH which I find minimizes the amount of lane changes I have to do. I get passed a lot but I am feeling safe and usually have plenty of room ahead of me to whoa down.

Some other observations

Cars behind you will pass you not because they want to go fast , but because they can't see around you. I can't count how many times somebody has passed me, only to slow down.

If someone has their cruise control set 1mph (or less) faster than you the last thing they would ever do while passing you is put their foot on the gas to get by. I frequently have to slow down for them so that we do not create the eternal rolling roadblock.

Your signals mean nothing, unless someone was acknowledged them. Never pull to the left lane until you know it is going to be clear. By the way, sometimes the acknowledgement you get is for the guy behind you to see what you are about to do and zip into the left lane to take away that opportunity.

Jf you got in the left lane to overtake slower traffic and now want to go back into the right lane and have signaled your intention, don't count on anyone letting you in if it is crowded. (See observation number one).

Do not drive Washington DC freeways in the rush hour or downtown San Francisco at any time while pulling a trailer.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Generally 62 indicated which is an even 60 according to the GPS. I find that more and more 18-wheelers are now running no more than 65 and I actually pass one now and then. That did not always be the case.

I actually speed up on urban freeways to 65 to be more in sync with traffic. I may pull for hours at 60 and then get on MOPAC in Austin and speed up to 65.

With no more St tires to worry about, I am a bit more flexible on speed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #40
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I agree, slow down and enjoy the ride. Your on vacation, not a scheduled run!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Pretty much the same thing here. We avoid interstates like the plague whenever we can, in good measure because interstates seem to be the best way to avoid seeing the country.

Lynn
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #41

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Generally 62 indicated which is an even 60 according to the GPS. I find that more and more 18-wheelers are now running no more than 65 and I actually pass one now and then. That did not always be the case.

I actually speed up on urban freeways to 65 to be more in sync with traffic. I may pull for hours at 60 and then get on MOPAC in Austin and speed up to 65.

With no more St tires to worry about, I am a bit more flexible on speed.
John,

I've noticed that for the last couple of years. I remember where you always passed the UPS 18 wheelers because I think their trucks were restricted to 55 mph. Not any more since I do see them traveling faster. I also remember until recently when Illinois had a 55 mph limit on trucks, trailers, and RV's. I used to like driving there since I typically wasn't passed by truckers. I think that limitation is gone.

Missouri was always pedal to the metal for the 18 wheelers. I used to hate to see them barreling down on me. A lot of those guys used to travel 75 mph +. Lately though they seem to be traveling between 60 and 70 on the interstates here. I wonder if it has anything to do with GPS tracking for company owned trucks or just the cost of fuel?

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #42
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I agree, slow down and enjoy the ride. Your on vacation, not a scheduled run!

Dave

Dave,
For some with limited time, a vacation is a scheduled run. For instance, if you only have a week, and speed and time on the road can make a difference between a one or two or a three day one way drive. That is a big difference in how much time you spend at your destination which is usually where the vacation actually takes place. For instance when we go to visit family. We have seen everything between here and there many times, however the time spent visiting with family is always valued each time.

Ken