Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
We rarely tow above 60 mph. and stay in the right lane. People see an RV and expect to have to pass you, plus our mpg is much better at 60!

Carol, Aboard "Aggie the DreamStream"
WBCCI# 5248
Rollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i find ay 60 mph there are two kinds of drivers.....
group one wants to do anything to not get stuck behind you and will spot you early.
group two wants to draft behind your trailer to save fuel.
group two no longer wants to save fuel at 55 mph :-)

2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
1800-2000 RPM, 60-63mph. Find the engines sweet spot.

x2. 7.3 Diesel Honey Badger likes 1900 rpm but ain't afraid to go to 3000 to "power" around packs of idiots. I like to find a few 18 wheelers I'm comfy with and settle into a cadence between 60-63. Leaving enough room in front of you is key.
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I always see the big rigs turn on flashers when going uphill at slower than posted speed limits.

My comment was that when NOT towing with either a car or truck, you should have your vehicle warning flashers on at speeds around 45 to 50 mph on highways and interstates so as folks come up behind you they are visually informed there is an issue ahead.

The attached trailer creates it's own message that the combined vehicle could be traveling slower than the speed limit. If the rig's speed is really slower than traffic, turn on the flashers.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
against the tide

I will generally drive the same as if I have no Airstream behind, at least the speed limit, maybe 5-10 over if conditions are favorable. I often find myself accellerating faster than common cars at intersections and traffic lights, these people , grouped together, accell slower than an 18 wheeler, heck no! I also plan hills that might slow me down by getting a good run at the bottom so I can (hopefully) crest at least at the speed limit. I carefully scan from each of the three mirrors and back to front to keep constant information about the traffic around me. I'm not in a race , but do not like to drive slow. That's one of the reasons I own an Airstream and tow with a V8 Ram. John
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Around 60 mph for me, where conditions allow. Anything above that and the fuel economy is shot. There's also the little matter of three and half tons of trailer becoming progressively more unstable as the speed is increased.

I don't subscribe to the "keeping up with the flow" argument, either. It's up to others to pass you if they want to, not for you to speed up so they don't have to.
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If I go 70 I am the slowest vehicle on the road. Everybody else passes me.
Our company has a mandatory 65 mph speed limit.
If I go 65 I am the slowest vehicle on the road and everybody passes me.
Slower is always safer. You have more time to identify a danger and avoid it by evasive maneuvers or braking..
I tow the trailer at 55 because I get 12 mpg at 55 mpg.
If I go 70 towing I get 7-8.
Don't worry about all those people going 80. They will go around you.
You will find that driving is a lot less stressful when you are the slowest vehicle on the road. You hardly ever have to change lanes or pass anyone.
Slow vehicles do not pose a danger on the highways. It is the speeders that bring the danger. All dangerous or stressfull situations on the road are brought about by people speeding or improper lane usage or not paying attention and crossing over the line.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I think 60 will be right for me - I'm very conservative about driving believe me!!

My personal debate was 55 vs 65 - 60 is middle ground so there

I'll be watching mileage to indeed find a sweet spot

Good point switz
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #23
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Towing, we usually go 55-60 mph. The gas milage is so much better than if we go faster. On the Interstate, we just stay in the right lane. On two-lane highways, we stay right when there's a passing lane or occasionally just pull over if we are blocking a line of cars.

There have been a couple of threads about people towing at 70 mph when something went wrong. One bad accident and one near-miss.

Have a safe trip!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
Do this before you drive with your flashers on:
Parked, with the flashers on, turn on a turn signal and get out and see what you've got.
If the flashers override the turn signals, you are unsafe. This means that with your flashers on when you signal a turn or lane change all the guy behind you will see is an idiot with his flashers on.
I can't tell you how many times I've come upon a slow-moving vehicle with its 4-way flashers going (apparently this makes the driver feel "safe") and as I go to pass, the guy changes lanes thinking he's signaled a lane change (obviously unaware that he has defeated his turn signals). He might just as well have taken a hammer and smashed them out. There is a law against driving a vehicle without operational brake lights and turn signals.
Pileus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #25
hang up and drive
2010 30' Classic
:) , Germany
I usually try to drive 65-68 on the open highway as that's the sweet spot for my truck between managing my EGTs and maintaining overdrive on the rolling hills. On more congested roads, I'll stick pretty close to the posted limit. On steep inclines, I will use flashers, but do not change lanes with them on. No one should be changing lanes with flashers on regardless of whether they defeat the turn signals or not.

I do believe there is a "too slow" speed on the highway which cause people to pass you aggressively. I believe this can be just as dangerous as driving too fast.

Just drive as cautiously as possible, while not becoming a nuisance, rely on your experience, and just use plain old common sense to adjust your speed accordingly.
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins 4WD (SOLD)
2010 Classic 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
It is illegal to drive with your 4 ways on in the state of Florida. Period. Jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
of course, all y'alls responses are fine and dandy, but you have to remember......he lives in NASCAR country !!!
Every time I've been in the greater Birmingham area, all them there rednecks drive the freeways like they believe they are the next Richard Petty and I-65 is really Talladega.....

Pharm, once you get away from that part of the world.....things will calm down some, then you can run at 60 and it won't seem like you are just standing still.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #28
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Slower drivers in the right lane are not the problem... slow drivers that refuse to get out of the left lane are.

I am completely baffled by the mentality of people that think they can occupy the left lane for hours on end. I may be old school but I was taught that you move left to pass then back to the right. I have to drive I-95 between Philly, PA and Jacksonville, FL on a regular basis. It is very common to come up on someone riding the left lane at the posted speed limit or even below it, THAT is dangerous, it isn't very long before people start passing on the right and whipping in and out trying to get around the rolling road blocks. Unfortunately it seems to not be an issue to LEO.

I can see using 4-way flashers for a brief period of time if moving well below the posted speed limit while getting up to speed, or on steep grades. I use mine when traffic slows suddenly to warn vehicles behind me that speeds are reducing rapidly, once the vehicles behind me have obviously gotten the message I turn them off.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote