Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
5.3L chev engine with tow/rv cam replacement.

Happen to see a video the other day on changing out cam on the chev/gmc 5.3 -5.7 L motors.

was wondering if anyone had a motor and has done this change out and did it help with

towing, better by adding more power/torque and
did it give better MPG as well..

is this possible with 5.7L toyota engine?? i see it a dual overhead cam system.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I have often wondered about such things as this. I'll be following this closely. I have the 5.3L. Love to get 2 more MPGs!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I used to mess around with hotrods, built engines, changed all kinds of internal components from pistons to cam shafts, and everything on the outside, and in previous engine families like the old Chevy 350's there were lots of gains to be had. I even had a computer dyno program that I did a lot of playing with changing different specs in the engines like compression ratio, camshaft profiles, valve size, head flow, etc., to see what improvements were available.

The first thing that became apparent was after displacement, compression ratio was the biggest factor at making horsepower, and then came valve size and head flow. The cam shaft profile actually was where the least amount of gains was available. Even so, if you could get one horsepower per cubic inch, you had a good performing engine.

However, now days with engines like the GM 5.3L (about 320 cu. in.) the manufacturers are exceeding one HP/cu. in., and doing it with normal asperation (no supercharging), and with reliability and economy. Simply amazing to me.

So, having said all of this, personally I would not mess with the new engines available today by swapping parts in hopes of getting better performance. The computer control systems used today, the induction, injection systems, and ignition systems are so good, it would take something magic to improve on them. This is just my opinion.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I tow with a 5.3 with 90k miles. I haven't changed anything but when I ordered it I got high ratio rear end.3.73 I believe. I pull 30' with no issues. Mountains would be a,different story though. I get 11 mpg towing in Florida.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
I tow with a 5.3 with 90k miles. I haven't changed anything but when I ordered it I got high ratio rear end.3.73 I believe. I pull 30' with no issues. Mountains would be a,different story though. I get 11 mpg towing in Florida.
What year model truck is the 5.3 in, and does it have the 4 or 6 speed transmission?
Old 12-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I have had two aftermarket cams in my truck as a learning experience as much as anything else. I also have had Thorley Tri-Y headers (favor torque production between 2,500 and 4,500 RPMs) and have made a number of other changes. My truck is a 2000 K2500 Yukon XL with the 6.0 (same engine family as the 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 & 6.2 L Gen III and Gen IV small block V8s) and has a 4.10 rear axle.

I am currently running a 200/206 (intake/exhaust duration) cam which does give me more torque and good manners at idle. The newer small blocks have variable valve timing and more complex computers, and I probably wouldn't fool with a cam change if I were youl.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I have an 05 silverado extended cab 1500. It is a four speed and in Florida I can tow mostly in overdrive.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

With the newer PCM power-plants probably the most cost effective mechanical route would be improvements in the intake and exhaust system. Open up restrictions in both, add/improve cold air intake will, in my experience, give very good results.
A quality integrated system could add 15-20hp and 1-3mpg.

Another stand alone option is the Computer Programmer, I am using the Flashpac on our 8.1 Burb with excellent results. Several included tune options, perf, econ, towing, along with time distance logs, fault code read-out/clear, tire diameter, transmission shift points etc. Econ mode on our 496ci adds about 1-1.6mpg, doesn't sound like much but adds up over time.

Remember any mod's will take time to amortize, so it's important to rationalize carefully. The more you plan to tow the better.

Bob
Old 12-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Carl,
Bob makes a good point about the powertrain control module/engine control module. Each time that I have changed the cam, I've had to adjust the volumetric efficiency table because of the effect of the cam. I use a software/hardware solution called EFILive FlashScan that is capable of broad spectrum tuning changes plus engine/transmission parameter logging and diagnostics. There's a big learning curve associated with learning this type of software. I also own a tuner similar to what Bob is talking about. Regardless, I don't recommend this route unless you're really interested in learning a lot about performance.

Also, to your question about the DOHC Toyota 5.7 L engine, a cam change on that engine involves replacing 4 camshafts and not many aftermarket cams are available for this engine series.

Steve
Old 12-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Carl,
I've re-read your original post and given it some thought today as I've done some chores around the house today. The whole engine/transmission/rear axle setup on modern trucks (and other vehicles for general use) represent a highly refined compromise between the goals you stated (torque/HP/fuel economy). Added to your list would be durability of the components, noise/harshness/vibration and a well-behaved vehicle regarding drivability. So doing anything to increase power (HP and torque are different ways of viewing the same animal if you throw the variable of RPM in the picture) will hurt fuel economy. This might not be true if it weren't for the fact that the modern computer-controlled drivetrains are designed to optimize everything all the time (mixture, spark, etc.). A performance based air intake system or less restrictive might gain 10 to 15 HP, but it would be noisier too! There is no magic bullet...only silver bullets!

Steve
Old 12-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Instead of fooling with cams, an after market programmer does more in the power/torque department. All factory computer settings come with the mildest settings for the most mileage for the most average driver. After market programmers can maximize for towing and mileage. A lot of diesel owners use programmers as do some gasser owners. I have a Mike's SCT 5 Star and have mine set on 89 octane tow/performance and it makes my V-10 a screamer.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
in doing a bit more looking around i see the "chipping" one is the way to power and fame.. I don't own a TV at this time just trying to get a feel for what is out there and is the best "bang for the buck" deal.

The ford eco boost are have issues it seems so not a play, the BMW diesels are nice but expensive rides, same with MB deals, dodge cummins diesel are nice but the diesel overhead issue, so it looking like a hemi dodge or chev/gmc silverado/sierra deal.

my BIL (brotherinlaw) had a 31 or 32 foot SOB that when fulled loaded topped out well over 10K. He was pulling with a 5.3L tahoe and pro hitch. He was telling me last night when pulling around the east coast was fine but when they hit some "hills" it struggled. When asked about pulling the MTn of nc he said they never went west so not sure how it would do.

I do not think he "chipped his ride" and i know he got a newer tahoe that pulled worse that the older one..(same 5,3L) His new TV is a ford 2012 f-250 SD 4 door powerstorke 6.2L diesel hooked to a 42ft 5th wheel deal.. and yes the SD pulls better.

SO how has "chipn" helped the V-10? better power/torque,. better MPG both on hook and off..? what are MPG before and now after chipping..

looking for answers past the rainbow.. and suggestions from all.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Carl,

You have not said what size/weight trailer you are thinking about, that I have seen. It would help us help you if we knew that.

However, seems you are considering a 1/2 ton truck, and I were considering a 1/2 ton, which by the way I just went thru all of that exercise, I would go with the Ram 5.7L with the 3.92 rear gears. It should easily tow most any Airstream, but the payload would be an issue with the largest of them, but it would also be with any 1/2 ton. Or, the Toyota with the 5.7L would also work, assuming you want to send some of your money to Japan.

Just my thoughts.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
Happen to see a video the other day on changing out cam on the chev/gmc 5.3 -5.7 L motors.

was wondering if anyone had a motor and has done this change out and did it help with

towing, better by adding more power/torque and
did it give better MPG as well..

is this possible with 5.7L toyota engine?? i see it a dual overhead cam system.
Carl

I worked as a student engineer many years ago in the engine development for Pontiac Motor Co. I don't think you are going to improve one iota the performance or economy by changing any of the hardware. If anything the performance will diminish. The factory has already maximized the performance and economy using the best test equipment and dinamometers available.

You might try changing a computer chip. I still think it will be a waste of time and money. There is just no free lunch. Also my favorite "new solutions have new problems". At least if you try a new chip, it is easy to go back to the original setting or "chip".

The Toyota 5.7 already gets pretty good fuel economy if you go with 2wd and keep it under 60 mph. I get 13 mpg when towing my 66 Tradewind. Believe me I have plenty of power and torque.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

....re-prog did help our "beast", but that was all that was needed.
It does come in handy for re-programing tire diameter, and checking for any fault codes.......

Quote,
"Another stand alone option is the Computer Programmer, I am using the Flashpac on our 8.1 Burb with excellent results. Several included tune options, perf, econ, towing, along with time distance logs, fault code read-out/clear, tire diameter, transmission shift points etc. Econ mode on our 496ci adds about 1-1.6mpg, doesn't sound like much but adds up over time."

The 06 8.1 Burb with 4:10 gets better mpg stock, than our 95 7.4 3:73 did with quite a few mods, went like stink, but 10.9 was the best we ever got towing.

Bob
Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Carl,

You have not said what size/weight trailer you are thinking about, that I have seen. It would help us help you if we knew that.

However, seems you are considering a 1/2 ton truck, and I were considering a 1/2 ton, which by the way I just went thru all of that exercise, I would go with the Ram 5.7L with the 3.92 rear gears. It should easily tow most any Airstream, but the payload would be an issue with the largest of them, but it would also be with any 1/2 ton. Or, the Toyota with the 5.7L would also work, assuming you want to send some of your money to Japan.

Just my thoughts.
Have not really put a finger on exact size.. but can tell you in looking around at a couple units in the area, one a older 30 ft sovereign model, and a 25 ft model again older units, the wife is more incline to the larger units. go figure

We are actually looking more at a 28ft or 30 ft slider units. It seems they have the same GVWR at 9100 for both lengths so i guess it depends on interior layout and how it "talks" to the wife.. (2 ft is 2 ft) I am good with either but in seeing some pictures of the newer stuff vs older stuff, the newer stuff seem to be better layout.

I do read on other forums like sliverado forums where chipping can help some in both tow and non tow activities. I know the engineers are trying to get most HP and MPG but they also error on the side of caution as the vehicle has to make it to at least 5 yrs or 100K miles now on the warranty or they start eating transmissions and such.

Like some on this forum have related if by chipping you can get 1-2 more MPG or get more HP and torque during towing its a worth while endeavor to pursue. The break even point between cost and saving is not going to happen overnight but will get closer every night..

Steve.. have been eyeing the toyota 5.7 as well.. seem to be very good overall TV with little to no problems unlike the ford ecoboost so far, but the good news is I am still 5 to 7 yrs from this project of RVing and a lot can change in that time frame good or bad.. by the way did you go to work for automotive company??
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Carl,

Just my thoughts.

thought i had respond to this but see it did not..

most likely looking at the 30ft slider units or maybe a 28ft slider but it seems they have the same GVWR at 9100 so why loose 2 ft on the deal.

I was looking that the toyota as well.. from what i have read it rides good, pulls good and is not troubled with stuff like the ford ecoboost deal currently but i am looking 5-7 yrs out for something so things can change.

I do believe the toyota truck are made in texas.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
I was looking that the toyota as well.. from what i have read it rides good, pulls good and is not troubled with stuff like the ford ecoboost deal currently but i am looking 5-7 yrs out for something so things can change.

I do believe the toyota truck are made in texas.
The Toyota trucks are assembled in Texas from mostly Japanese parts, and the net profit from the sale of the truck goes to Japan.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
The Toyota trucks are assembled in Texas from mostly Japanese parts, and the net profit from the sale of the truck goes to Japan.
guess that explains why they are so dependable so far.. plus the workers get close to union wages and bennies as a non union factory..

I understand about buying american i have a chev car, astro and ford vans for my business and all have been mostly trouble free.

If our government would get its head out its a$$ most of that money would stay here. The "cliff talks" going on today are reason one for TERM limits on congress and senators.. just like the prez.. most american voters are to stupid to know who to vote for and just vote for the same old guy.. ie, byrd VW, and the latest one to die from Hawaii.. in office for 56 fricken years.. WAY to long for one guy to be in office..

over and out..
Old 12-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I would advise you to study the max payload of a Toyota vs the tongue weight of a 30' slide out, plus all that you plan to carry in the truck.

I just went thru an exercise studying 1/2 ton truck fiesabilty for my use, and the only one that would carry the load was the Ford with the 6 1/2 foot bed, crew cab, but I can't sit comfortably in the Ford seat. The Toyota had one of the least payload capacities of the 1/2 tons. They have the towing capacity, but not the payload.