Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

Grimsby , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpaquette View Post
Before you go through all of the hitch mods, pull the camper with the v6 and see what you think. If the engine struggles, then you know what to expect. Try the brakes, see how they perform. Make sure you have the TV loaded up with fuel, gear and what not and give things a go. You decide if you like the setup and make your decision. One caveat, you’ll get the itch to take your camper farther then the first 300 miles from home, so keep in mind that holding yourself to flat terrains will at some point possibly frustrate if done because of TV necessity. And lets be honest, your running this by this crowd because you have concerns. That’s fair.
No doubt we will want to go further. I get an excellent corporate discount with unlimited mileage at Enterprise and will no doubt take advantage of that for those extended trips away - no point in putting the miles or wear and tear on my own vehicle regardless of what kind it is when I can rent for a few hundred per week. In fifteen to twenty years when we are ready to retire we will likely be long past the 4Runner and will take part-time travelling into consideration when buying a TV at that time. For now, the 4Runner is paid for, has proven to be very versatile and durable, is easy to do DIY maintenance and repairs on, and fits our living arrangements and lifestyle very well at this time.
Ssm_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:51 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I'm all for you doing what you want and trust Andy and his advice, but dang, you went from a total newbie thinking about getting his first teardrop to a towing expert in less than a week without ever even hitching up a trailer! That's impressive!
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:52 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City beach , Florida
Like I said at the end of each of my posts, if you feel safe and are comfortable have fun! Keep us posted on what your doing, enjoy RVing!

2018 FC 27FB queen
2019 F350 CC SRW 6.7 Short Bed
Eagle Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:26 AM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
“Fact: The only material difference between a 4th generation 4Runner that can tow 5,000lbs and 7,000lbs is 1) a cross-member mounted WCH set-up versus a frame-mounted WDH set-up, 2) standard brakes versus larger brakes, 3) a trans cooler and 4) slightly more torque in the 4.7 2UZ over the 4.0 1GR. A properly set-up 4th generation 4Runner should have no issues towing a 5,200lb aerodynamic travel trailer with a low center of gravity and properly adjusted trailer brakes...”

Some of this thread has bogged down into personal TV preference. Sam your reasons and astute knowledge of 4Runner specs tells me you will be fine with the 25. It’s all about knowing your equipment.

I owned my 4Runner and didn’t want a pickup. It’s my daily driver. It has the 4.0L so I was limited to 5k tow weight. We chose the 22 sport to give us lots of cushion. I was a risk manager in my profession so I did the math. Since we didn’t want to full-time RV the 22 is fine for us. We routinely drive in the Rockies and I understand downshifting and using breaking minimally and I test the trailer brake functions often while towing. Also I never, ever drive in OD or even 5th. Keep my revs at 2600-3200 (torque sweet-spot) on the flats.

Personally (and living in Texas where the National car is a pickup LOL) I just don’t understand big, empty, open bed pickups driving around big cities. But to each his own. 95% of my driving in the 4Runner is non-towing and it fits fine for both. PM me if you want to discuss anything 4RUNNER. Good luck.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #85
2 Rivet Member

Grimsby , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
I'm all for you doing what you want and trust Andy and his advice, but dang, you went from a total newbie thinking about getting his first teardrop to a towing expert in less than a week without ever even hitching up a trailer! That's impressive!
I don't recall claiming to be a towing expert.

Like anything, you sift through the information you have, arrange the data according to the weight of it's accuracy, and form the best opinion you can based on your interpretation of that.

Like I said, I am well prepared to be proven wrong.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Speculation: That I will be carrying 1,000lbs worth of goods in my TV.

You do understand that the trailer has tongue weight I hope.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

Grimsby , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Speculation: That I will be carrying 1,000lbs worth of goods in my TV.

You do understand that the trailer has tongue weight I hope.
Yes, but the WDH transfers that weight into the engine block. As the cylinders in the bottom end spin faster and the VTEC kicks in, the torsion in the block counteracts the weight and sends the energy through the drive-line. The entire concept is mass crazy but for sure worth the $99 on Amazon yo.

Anyhow... Back to reality - when I hear something like 'put 1k in the back of a truck' I think of actually placing 1k of cargo into the back of a truck - exclusive of tongue weight. If I hear 'put 1k of tongue weight on the back of a truck' I think of placing 1k of tongue weight on the back of a truck. Of course there is also distributing 1k of tongue weight into the vehicle as well (not the engine block as I jested above - because engine blocks obviously aren't a stressed member of the vehicles structure in most cases)... In any case, sounds like a misunderstanding at best.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
He got lots of good advice, it is just that some of it comes from a particular point of view, namely that larger and heavier tow vehicles are the only answer, and that isn’t what he wanted.

I like trucks. Last time I needed one I rented a Ford 450. And towed a car trailer. But if I had to drive one every day just for the times I was towing, I would never tow again.

Last time you towed with a well set up German SUV like the OP describes, how was it?
Pulling a 25' AS?? No, and would not consider pulling a 25' with one of those, given the weight/size of a 25'; nor would I even consider with a 4runner except perhaps to park it in my yard. I have towed with several different TV's, including A full size Ford V8 Van, a V8 Expedition, 2 different recent model Tahoe's, an Echoboost F150 Platinum, and now an F250 diesel. I have also owned several foreign vehicles, including Porsche, Audi, and Volvo....great daily drivers weekend camping with a tent, but not designed to tow a large AS, IMHO... Sure, as we all know, you can "tow" with just about anything, including the OP's 4runner...I thought the advice many have posted here was pretty consistent, in answering his questions...especially from those who have towed with smaller TV's. Hope things work out for him....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #89
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Orléans , Ontario
We have a 1998 Safari and tow it with a Honda Ridgeline (second one) and have been doing it for many years (approx. 13 years) now without any problems. We've towed our trailer across and over the Canadian Rockies to Tofino and back. We've also towed our trailer from Ottawa to California, down Hiway 1 and back by way of Route 66 all the way from Santa Monica pier to Chicago. That's not counting all the trips in between and there have been many (at least 2 months at a time every summer. The worst that happened throughout these years was a flat tire on the truck one time and a flat tire on the trailer another time. Yes you do suffer going up and coming down steep hills but nothing to worry about if you take precautions (taking it easy going up hills and downshifting coming down hills). I have a friend who tows a newer 25 ft. Safari with a Pathfinder and no problems either. Enjoy your trailer.

JM
John Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gervais View Post
We have a 1998 Safari and tow it with a Honda Ridgeline (second one) and have been doing it for many years (approx. 13 years) now without any problems. We've towed our trailer across and over the Canadian Rockies to Tofino and back. We've also towed our trailer from Ottawa to California, down Hiway 1 and back by way of Route 66 all the way from Santa Monica pier to Chicago. That's not counting all the trips in between and there have been many (at least 2 months at a time every summer. The worst that happened throughout these years was a flat tire on the truck one time and a flat tire on the trailer another time. Yes you do suffer going up and coming down steep hills but nothing to worry about if you take precautions (taking it easy going up hills and downshifting coming down hills). I have a friend who tows a newer 25 ft. Safari with a Pathfinder and no problems either. Enjoy your trailer.

JM
Count your blessings or your good luck...your Ridgline if AWD may have a good payload; but is likely has a 5000lb max tow rating. As many state, towing is not the issue; it's being over limit if something were to happen and your vehicle is in an accident. You surely don't want to have an insurance company not cover you because your out of mfg spec; it does happen and they do look at all the factors when investigating especially with a TT. Anyway..not my issue...glad you've had good luck...so far.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
:| tv capacity

And for the popcorn likers, here is the post on the last TV discussion
"
Originally Posted by hshovic
:|

Weighed my 25FB once. 750 lbs on the tongue.

I am a firefighter/emt. In the last six years, I have seen four airstream crashes on the Interstate. All were rollovers/trailers dragging the TV off the road. All were 1/2 ton or less trucks, vans, and suburbans...

So,

I drive a Chevy 2500 with a heavy duty hitch....

:|
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote