Old 12-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I am happy that you are getting the ProPride!
Maybe I will get a ProPride in the future.
For now, I will have to be happy with my Equal-i-zer.
Please post picks of the install process.
Please keep us updated.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
We're pulling an AS 27 with a Ram 2500 diesel. When we bought the AS, we asked the AS dealer "What hitch to buy?" They recommended a Blue Ox Sway Pro, which we bought for approx. $600 with free shipping. All I can say is "It works! I don't know how it could be any better."

I first learned of Pro Pride & its 3P hitch from this stream of comments. I went to the Pro Pride website & learned that the 3P costs approx. $2,400 plus several $100 for shipping.

Query: What extra does the 3P provide over a Sway Pro for the additional $2,000? Mind you, I'm not commenting about the quality of a 3P --- I just don't understand its advantages over a Sway Pro. What am I not understanding?
I used to have a Sway Pro and ended up changing over to a ProPride. I changed because I just never could completely get rid of the sway when large vehicles passed us or in heavy winds. I was towing with a 1/2 ton truck with fairly aggressive tires (deep chunky tread) at the time. The Sway Pro was not bad, and had I tried it with the 3/4 ton truck I have now, then I may have kept it. After using both, I just feel the ProPride is more stable at speed. My dad is using my SwayPro with his Suburban and and a 25ft SOB and he loves it. I think they are both good hitches with their own pros and cons, but my opinion is the ProPride makes the rig more stable at highway speeds.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
We're pulling an AS 27 with a Ram 2500 diesel. When we bought the AS, we asked the AS dealer "What hitch to buy?" They recommended a Blue Ox Sway Pro, which we bought for approx. $600 with free shipping. All I can say is "It works! I don't know how it could be any better."

I first learned of Pro Pride & its 3P hitch from this stream of comments. I went to the Pro Pride website & learned that the 3P costs approx. $2,400 plus several $100 for shipping.

Query: What extra does the 3P provide over a Sway Pro for the additional $2,000? Mind you, I'm not commenting about the quality of a 3P --- I just don't understand its advantages over a Sway Pro. What am I not understanding?
Lots of threads on this, maybe try the search function.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #18
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
This is perhaps late in the game for you, since you placed an ad with PP, but another option to save $500-1000 if your trailer is under 6000# & 600# HW would be the Hensley Cub - but all/both PP & Hensley PPPs are great hitches. We have the Cub on our 1960 Avion T20, which being an older vintage kin/AS was lighter than equal length "modern" trailers, mostly due to more amenities/capacities & less light weight materials. So I think you'll like either brand.

Otherwise, to some of your other questions & suggestions - & these apply to either PP or Hensley -

1. They add 12"+ to the length so you can open your hatch or tailgate in most cases.

2. Hensley lists the Cub at 160 lbs. & Arrow at 190 (PP should be similar to the latter), so find your Equalizer wt. for difference - but get a Sherline hitch wt. scale or some other method to get your actual HW with it installed & in any "balancing tricks".

3. The turning circle with PPPs is actually tighter than any others due to their action, so your tight driveway turns should be easier with it, but you actually have to be wary to not turn too tight, cuz you can actually hit the trailer body or A-frame stuff with the rear corner of the TV if you're not careful!

4. Yes, get a good backup cameera with a large screen or integrated into the TV's big Nav screen if possible - then it's far easier to hitch up solo with the stinger.

5. The uneven grade hitching issue is worse when the TV comes in at varying angles on the 4 wheels which changes as you back up, but the 2 tricks are:
a. as noted above is to get the hitch head/receiver box at the same 3-axis angles as the stinger, so get it within a few inches backed up to almost into the hitch the get all the angles the same by moving the big ole hitch head (which is movable manually to match up); but -
b. if you leave it the way it was when unhitched, then it will be close or right on the angles for the next time, which will look wanky but is easier.

6. The action of PPP's anti-sway keeps the trailer parallel with the TV so sway can't happen, so it should be safer on those twisty roads than other sway control systems which only resist the sway - not limit it to the paraleel motion of the PP & Hensley hitches - but still keep your speed down to appropriate levels for the conditions.

7. If you're tired of all the washer & bracket adjustment PITAs - then order your PPP with the adjustable jacks & not the chains - they're far easier to use & if you're physically limited or lazy you can just wind them up or down with a cordless drill! ;-)

8. Another PPP advantage over all the other types is that it all stays on the trailer A-frame, rather than messing with greasy-grimy spring bars & head on & off the trailer when you unhitch & park. So get one of the vinyl covers for the head to both keep them out of the weather & at least warn you & others to watch their shins! ;-)

Good Luck & Happy Holidays!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Wills, the advantages of the ProPride/Hensley design have been explained many times in previous threads and early in this one.

Sway resistance in the Propride/Hensley design is in the linkage which transfers sway forces to the truck's rear axle where it is stopped. All other designs transfer sway to the truck's front (steering) axle.

At that point it is a matter of truck design rather than hitch design to resistance the lateral movement. Some tow vehicles are much better than others. Stiff sidewall tires, tight suspension, long wheelbase compared to distance front hitch ball to rear axle. Some examples of improved resistance to say are heavy duty trucks with the mentioned features, and full independent suspension SUV's with these features. As well as others.

Your present setup may work okay for you, but if you feel moved around when semi's pass in heavy sidewinds, or feel any trailer movement, you will really like a ProPride/Hensley design.

Also, dealers will often recommend the hitch they sell. They can make a profit and they are relatively easy to install. The ProPride is only sold direct to the customer, no middle man, no markup. ProPride will however send the hitch directly to your installer or dealer and the good ones can and will install it. Many dealers and other folks will try to talk you out of it, which is why we bought two hitches before we got our ProPride, and we regret the money spent on the other two.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thanks for all the feedback. looks like the delivery will happen while we are away. I should have ordered last week...

I have never had an issue with sway with the Equal-i-zer. It is a great hitch. The reasons for changing are in my original post. I will put it up on craigslist...

Tom:
We are over 6000lbs so the full blown 3P was the way to go.
We ride over scales almost every trip! I do need to stop and get a tongue weight next time out.
Thanks for the info in points 3 and 5. That is very helpful!
We have a good back up camera, it is super useful!
Old 12-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
The mechanical advantage of the 3P and Hensley Arrow is that the 4-bar linkage causes the trailer to move as though it is pivoting about a Virtual Pivot Point which, for most yaw angles, is some distance ahead of the ball coupler.
Similar to a 5th-wheel hitch, having the VPP closer to the TV's rear axle enhances the stability of the combination tow vehicle and trailer, rendering it less susceptible to swaying or fishtailing in the presence of side winds.

When the TV and TT are aligned straight ahead, The location of the VPP is about 52" forward of the ball connector and, depending on TV rear overhang, might be about 2' behind the center of the TV's rear axle
As the TT swings relative to the TV, the VPP moves laterally and rearward.
At a yaw angle of 4 degrees, the VPP has moved rearward about 22" and laterally about 19" relative to its straight-ahead position.
At a yaw angle of 20 degrees, the VPP has returned to a position about 5" ahead of the coupler.

A major cause of sway is the oscillating lateral force which the TT can exert on the TV.
This force, multiplied by its distance from the TV's rear axle, generates a steering torque which must be countered by steering changes.
Having the VPP at 24" behind the rear axle generates less steering torque than having the VPP at around 65" which is typical when using a "conventional" hitch.

Ron
Old 12-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We changed from the Equalizer to the PP for the exact same reasons you mentioned Gsmblue. The ease or correcting for proper weight distribution when we carried different loads was enough alone. All the other benefits from the PP were icing on the cake. Love towing with the PP. I do see a difference from the Equalizer which I thought did an excellent job itself.

Enjoy and safe travels.

Chuck
Old 12-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Gsmblue - Good luck with your hitch. Hope it works out for you as well as ours.

I read the threads, and took the advice of many here. For our 27' FC, I ordered a PP / 1,400# hitch from Sean and had it delivered to Colonial Airstream.

Sean's support has been fantastic. The hitch absolutely works as advertised.

We took off from Colonial and drove 1,100 miles to Tampa, never having towed anything larger than a Radio Flyer wagon. We never noticed any sway on the drive.

I was able to hitch up at Cherry Hill RV Park for the first time ever, on a chilly Washington DC morning at 6:30AM. Without any coffee.

I feel very confident the hitch will work as advertised on our future travels up to Canada and out West.

Rich

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Southlake , Texas
Your post is unbelievably timely. I have a Pro Pride hitch and LOVE IT. Today, I brought my 2015 30FB to Vogt RV in Fort Worth and they told me they wouldn't work on it unless and until the hitch was COMPLETELY REMOVED from the RV. That's right, they wouldn't touch it unless I unbolted and totally removed the Pro Pride!

My point, BTW, is that you should check with YOUR dealer to be sure they don't have the same dopey rule.

In this regard, has ANYONE ever heard of this before? Frankly, I can't believe this - Vogt has been a good store for me, but if this is true, never again. I'm going to contact Airstream to see if this is even permissible.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Vogt told me the same thing. Basically they are too lazy to either modify another adapter for their tractor they use to move the trailers with or use one of their trucks and your coupler to move it. I no longer deal with them. This and some other things I have heard about some of their work. They guys in Dublin are wonderful. They will move it around and do very good work.

I have heard of other dealers doing this same thing so Vogt is not alone but my feeling is there are others that will handle it with the hitch in place so I choose to do business there. Just my two cents.

Chuck
Old 12-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
I've spent most evenings for the past 4 weeks looking at forums to get up to speed on what hitch to buy. I remember one member saying that they made up an adapter that they left in place on their Hensley or PPP that enabled their dealer to move their trailer around without an issue. I'll try to find it and repost it here...
Old 12-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
BoscoMN, if your dealer is Shorewood in Anoka, they insisted we didn't need a Propride/Hensley so I bought their hitch with our new Airstream. Should have stuck to my guns. Nonetheless they said if we got one we would need to leave our stinger with them for maintenance work. That would be fine, but we no longer use or want them for service work. We fit Jackson Center into our travels if something comes up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question 1400lb bars....

....are the 3P & HaHa so different?....or is it the TV & receiver?
I move 820b with 1k bars. I had 1200, but switched them out for the softer ride.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote