Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
White Pigeon , Michigan
34' Excella 1989

Hi! I'm new to this forum and hoping this is the right place to post, or at least that people in this group can help me with my question. I am looking into buying a 1989 Excella that is 34'. I'm wanting to renovate and live in it full time for a while. I'm super excited, but I want to make sure that when I'm done using the airstream I am able to sell it. By having one that large am I limiting myself on the market? Or are most people open to having one that large? i'm mostly worried about people who may be interested but don't have anything powerful enough to pull it. Thank you for any and all help and comments! I'm just getting started so any tips (even unrelated to this particular question) are hugely appreciated.
Thanks!
emilyweav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
It’s a non-issue. There’s a market for that size. Granted, it’s a different market from the size-limited national park crowd, or the motorhome crowd, but there’s definitely a market for it. If the renovations are high-quality, tasteful, and well-executed, and the trailer itself is structurally sound, it’ll sell itself. And based on the number of folks with 3/4-ton+ trucks here, there won’t be a problem pulling it.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I agree with the above post, but you can't count on recovering renovation expenses on any used Airstream.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
Carmel , California
I quite literally just bought one that is almost what you are talking about. It's a 1989 Limited 34'. I'm deep in figuring out what kind of a tow vehicle to get right now.
RedBearded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Got a 1999, 34’. Been loving it for several years. With care there are few places you cannot go. Some pull with 1/2 ton... yes, you may be able to... to each their own. That is a huge and active discussion on this forum.

If you renovate, you may get some $ out of it should you decide to sell it. A fresh renovation which has not been used will likely get more $... I would expect, tho, price may limit more than the size.

Hope you enjoy the journey!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I agree with the above post, but you can't count on recovering renovation expenses on any used Airstream.

Totally agree with Lumatic. Good point, and true of trailers, houses, cars, wives, etc.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
We have a 34' and love it for the extra room over our previous 31'. There is a difference between renovations and upgrading. I consider renovations to be changes to suit a particular preference, ie laminate over carpet. You will usualy get a good return on upgrades, such a replacing an older fridge (with a correct RV type) or new A/C. Drastic changes such as hot pink curtains and other very personal decorating could decrease valus significantly. JMHO!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Upgrades.. we removed icky carpet and put floating laminated flooring .. looks like scraped wood. Perfect for us. Upgraded to 50AMP & added an AC... fixed leaks, etc as needed.. reupholstered... the pink flowers of the 90s had to go. Upgraded converter, replaced all lights with LEDs... new wheels because old steel ones were worn out. Upgraded water heater electronic control board, etc..

Upgraded... some may consider renovating... will I get all my $ out? Nope. But it is our choice for having the AS like we want and more reliable.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
34' Excella 1989

Expect that all appliances should be replaced ASAP. And that floor and window coverings need same. Upholstery likely the same.

Exterior lamps should all be converted to LED; new breakaway switch also.

On roof, all items need to be removed and re-gasketed or re-sealed. Specialty items.

Seams and rivets need to be sealed.

A moisture meter used indoors to find where leaks HAVE happened.

Windows should probably be removed and re-gasketed.

It’s a long list to do things right. To do the work that the next owner can appreciate.

Living in a trailer runs it down. An “Uncle Lester” is what the family bought to house the old man out back of Cousin Myrtles place till he croaked.

To avoid that dilemma of “condition” at ownership end means a lot of work. Now, and in the future.

These aren’t houses, and they aren’t built like it. It’s more work, not less. Yes, a smaller space (thus mistakes or accidents more prominent). But high utility costs, and more frequent repairs and replacements.

Some accept that and follow thru. Most do not. They’ll cheapen interior furnishings and ignore exterior problems.

10-15k is the opening budget for getting it right. Past purchase price. Before tire/axle/brake replacement. Or hitch. Etc.

Go in eyes open. But unless dedicated to better than new Airstream quality, don’t expect better than a lowered cost of living with higher inconveniences (winter, when in constant below freezing weather can’t use water system. Etc).

Break even on dollars, not labor, is a lot to ask. Not likely. But still better in my estimation than apartment rent.

I recommend a minimum of personal stuff aboard. Ditch it now. All the stuff that otherwise lives in a form of storage in closets or cabinets and isn’t useful to trailering. You’ll never miss it.

And, unlike an apartment, if “they” piss you off, you can hitch up and be a state away the next morning, Ha!

Good luck
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote