Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
325 classic trailor hitch

Hey ,
I figured out how to manuver this site. I built a class V hitch for our 325. Took some pictures of it, but I can t figure out how to post them. Help... I am willing to make you a kick ass hitch like this for your classic. I think I ll charge around 500.00 for it mine is bolted to the frame with 10 1/2 grade 8 bolts. I made it wider so I can put my tray on the back to haul the goldwing. It needs more support to keep it from twisting. That is why the 4x4 cross peice is so much longer than it really needs to be. Anybody interested in a hitch. Also, I got my Hunter alignment machine done. General cleaning painting and calibration of car and truck/ bus sensors. I can align anything now. Is there going to be an airstream rally soon I d bring the unit along if we can get the time off. I say this because I m curious to see how the tag axles on these units line up in relation to the drive axle. My guess is not so well. Posting picture procedure anyone?
Thanks DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Let me get this straight.......you're going to hang a 919 lb (dry weight, no fluids or accessories) motorcycle, along with whatever the weight of the motorcycle lifting and carrying system off the back end of a Classic motorhome?

Okay then.
Tony

PS to add pictures, go to manage attachments down below the box you write your text; click on manage attachments and then choose file; choose a picture file (make sure the picture file isn't too big) then click upload; then submit to upload pictures with text.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:06 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi Tony,
I take it you don t think it a wise idea to put my wing on the back. Frame to weak, to much length, to rough on the suspension? What do you think. I haven t done it yet. I can use the tray for other stuff, bikes cooler extra storage , you know. A Vespa would be cool. I'll get my son to load pics. DJ
Old 06-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Would have thought one of the gimp dolly based bike haulers like the Hitch Helper would be a better direction myself.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
I don t like that setup. It may work, to much tough length for my taste. I tried to do this on my GMC , when the bags pumped up, the front wheels were almost off the ground. So that was a killer hitch for no reason.
Tony, what say you. DJ
Old 06-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejay View Post
Hi Tony,
I take it you don t think it a wise idea to put my wing on the back. Frame to weak, to much length, to rough on the suspension? What do you think. A Vespa would be cool. I'll get my son to load pics. DJ
I think you have already answered your own question. All of the above apply.

It would be IMHO a very unwise thing to do. Have you looked at what is underneath these rigs? The actual chassis framework ends only a few feet past the rear axle (not tag). I can't imagine how you would be able to add to the chassis to accommodate such weight of the hitch, hauler and bike, not to mention the immense stresses that over 1,000 lbs going through up and down motions from bumps and railway tracks, would place on the hitch and rear frame; even the suspension of the bike would act like a hammer coming down hard in the bumps unless fully compressed.

Again this is just my humble opinion. A Vespa, maybe.......a Goldwing?

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:49 AM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejay View Post
I don t like that setup. It may work, to much tough length for my taste. I tried to do this on my GMC , when the bags pumped up, the front wheels were almost off the ground. So that was a killer hitch for no reason.
Tony, what say you. DJ
How is this......

.......any longer than a regular tray carrier?

All it does is carry the hitch weight so that you don't need to put the extra weight on the rear suspension and load on the tow hitch.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:24 AM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
More things to consider:
1.GVWR
2.Braking system, already marginal at todays higher speeds
3.increased rear overhang, how many feet do you add from the rear bumper on. The 37 ' Classics are built on an higher chassis to handle the overhang.
4.more weight on tag axle, how much of the weight has to be absorb by the tag axle?
5. lack of a weight distribution setup, by adding 1000# tongue weight. When pulling a trailer some of the tongue weight can get distributed to the front axle via weight distribution.
6. loss of stability with the tail wagging the dog.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
The lonely goldwing

Hey,
Well, I took a good long look at the frame. Tony, your right, it s a little lite if you ask me. Considering, the only thing the rear of the coach had to do, was hold up the back end. I think, only a couple hundred pounds , max and the flexing it ll take with road bumps etc etc. thanks guys. I ll break the news to the wing, lots of tears. Oh, I can use my. Motorcycle trailor, I got a class with doubles and triples so I could haul the jeep behind the little trailor. DOT would have a feild day with that. Lots of good advice. Thanks again guys. DJ