Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
London , Ontario
I drive a 2013 F150 with 3.5 EcoBoost and tow a 2016 30 foot Classic. Last summer we drove 16000 km from Ontario to BC, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah New Mexico and back. WE drove through the Canadian Rockies and the US rockies, freeways and two lane from sea level to 12000 ft over Monarch Pass and Leadville Co. Used the tow haul setting which would activate the engine brake downhill and used very little of actual truck and trailer brakes. Nothing overheated, up or down the rig was stable and the only white knuckles that were evident were when I looked over the edge at the canyon floor. Engine revs never exceeded 3500 rpm but speeds were kept low and never exceeded the posted limits. We use a Hensley hitch and the rig stays where its put. There is no sway or any other unwanted activity.
For us it works well and I would take it anywhere, anytime and we carry everything we need.
Airstream Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:54 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Annie View Post
I drive a 2013 F150 with 3.5 EcoBoost and tow a 2016 30 foot Classic. Last summer we drove 16000 km from Ontario to BC, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah New Mexico and back. WE drove through the Canadian Rockies and the US rockies, freeways and two lane from sea level to 12000 ft over Monarch Pass and Leadville Co. Used the tow haul setting which would activate the engine brake downhill and used very little of actual truck and trailer brakes. Nothing overheated, up or down the rig was stable and the only white knuckles that were evident were when I looked over the edge at the canyon floor. Engine revs never exceeded 3500 rpm but speeds were kept low and never exceeded the posted limits. We use a Hensley hitch and the rig stays where its put. There is no sway or any other unwanted activity.
For us it works well and I would take it anywhere, anytime and we carry everything we need.
To date, that's my experience as well with my 30' Classic and 2015 F150. Hoping it continues. On Monday, we start our longest trip to-date - Houston to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and back. Report will follow.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Annie View Post
Another good post by someone with experience in different situations. Thanks
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:04 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zmann View Post
I appreciate you input. I am looking at a 30' AS and I am truly concerned if my Nissan Titan XD will pull it. The numbers look good to me. With a a towing capacity of 11,900, I personally think it would be fine. Yes I know there is a vehicular weight and towing capacity issue. As I have said my wife, my dog and myself maybe 380 lbs, dog food 100 lbs a generator 125 lbs, added crud 250 maybe a total of 850 lbs. I think the Nissan is more than adequate. I'd hate to buy the trailer to find I'm off but I personally don't think I'd carry 1300 lbs in the trailer.

FYI I'm planning on towing it from Dallas to Anchorage so the is definitely some steep grade in the mix. I plan on adding a tuner to the truck prior to departure. However, I'm guessing brakes are the bigger issue.

Paul Zmann
Now take the 850lbs and add on your 1000lbs of tongue (counts against payload) weight. So, your grand total is 1850lbs of payload used. Now you are over your payload capacity by almost 300lbs.
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois38 View Post
Now take the 850lbs and add on your 1000lbs of tongue (counts against payload) weight. So, your grand total is 1850lbs of payload used. Now you are over your payload capacity by almost 300lbs.
Then set the weight distribution hitch using a CAT Scale, a little load management if needed, and things will look pretty good. Now get some towing experience with the rig and learn what it can actually do.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #26
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
100 lbs of dog food in hall by bathroom add find a spot in the trailer to put my tool box about 10 to 15 lbs (15 X 15 = 225 lbs) in the bed room. Takes weight out of the truck, & a lot less weight on the trailer hitch.
Paul Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Then set the weight distribution hitch using a CAT Scale, a little load management if needed, and things will look pretty good. Now get some towing experience with the rig and learn what it can actually do.

This.

A tuner isn't needed. No where near the engine power of your truck can tow that thing.

It's truck and trailer brakes that matter by an edge over tire quality and tread design.

Antilock disc brakes on the trailer (after upgrading to 16" wheels able to fully support Bridgestone R250 tires) would be the gold standard on a heavy AS bound for the edge of nowhere. See TUSON.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #28
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
I found a 2001 30' Excellia with a Slide Out. Pretty good condition, no dents or damage. I personally believe the price is too high but it is one of the 70th Anniversary editions. Any inputs pro or con.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:07 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Thats a pretty rare bird. 30' slide out should really hold its value. Did it say on the tag what it weighed? Make them an offer all they can do is say no.. or yes. .. or make you a counter offer to which you can think about. To this point you haven't been in much risk of buying a trailer except at low offer that you set and you now know at minimum what they really want out of it.

Have heard the company has no interest in building future slide outs. Which boads for the future value of this trailer. Sort of like having the room of the old 34s without the length maneuverability issues. Plus they are kind of novel everybody wants to come over and check it out.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #30
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zmann View Post
I found a 2001 30' Excellia with a Slide Out. Pretty good condition, no dents or damage. I personally believe the price is too high but it is one of the 70th Anniversary editions. Any inputs pro or con.

Details of '01 ?

Buying it is automatic membership in the Slider Fan Club.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #31
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
The Sticker on the wall of the Trailer says it GVWR 9100 lbs, 8158 UVW, 60 gallon fresh water 504 lbs, 13.3 Gallons of Propane 60 lbs leaving a Capacity of 378 Lbs. I can't find the Tongue weight of the trailer looking on the Airstream website. I guess I'd need to ask him to give me the actual weight. I'm guessing I'd have to work on the AC, Refrigerator. He offered a walk through, and to make sure everything worked, but I'm worried about everything being 15 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
Thats a pretty rare bird. 30' slide out should really hold its value. Did it say on the tag what it weighed? Make them an offer all they can do is say no.. or yes. .. or make you a counter offer to which you can think about. To this point you haven't been in much risk of buying a trailer except at low offer that you set and you now know at minimum what they really want out of it.

Have heard the company has no interest in building future slide outs. Which boads for the future value of this trailer. Sort of like having the room of the old 34s without the length maneuverability issues. Plus they are kind of novel everybody wants to come over and check it out.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #32
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Paul,

If you're uncertain but interested see if you can find a trailer inspector to walk thru it with you. A sound frame, skin and no signs of leaking are the biggest points if the price is right and you keep some reserves for fixing.

Not sure of your possible tongue weight but my '07 is over 1K.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneecie View Post
Is anyone out there towing a new 10,000 GVWR 30' Classic with a 1500 (or F-150) type 1/2 ton, 4WD, Crew Cab, gasoline engine pickup (+GOOD sway bar / weight distribution hitch) ? If so, how does it handle & brake. It would be slightly over truck rating if fully loaded but wondered if it might be manageable without moving up to a 2500 series truck
I have a 30' 2016 AS Classic and tow it with a 2015 Ford F150 EcoBoost 3.5L V-6 with a 3.55 rear axel ratio. This particular engine / axle ratio had a maximum towing capacity of 12,000 lbs. I also have the max tow package and a ProPride hitch. So far the AS / truck combo is working well - I increasingly believe that the ProPride hitch is central to our positive F150 / 30' AS Classic experiences. We just concluded a 4000 mile trip to NM, AZ TX trip. Good luck. Dennis
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote