Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The vehicle manufacturer does not exempt a DRW from the need for a WD hitch when TW is 350-500/lbs. Only anti-sway is optional.

TW is not the equivalent of payload. Payload capacity has next to nothing to do with the problem needing solution.

Poor steering feedback from live axle / recirc ball pickups masks what is happening back there.

It's cheap and easy to set this up and make for better performance. Less wear & tear, better braking & steering, etc.

And good antisway (integrated into hitch design) keeps the tail of that trailer in the lane where you want it.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Antisway is not wd. My experience is that with a one ton truck wd is not necessary, but anti sway is. If tw is within truck specs, then anti sway is all that is necessary. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakcrazy View Post
Whenever I get the urge to not hook up the WD I'm reminded of this You Tube video. I realize that this is not an Airstream but it's a great way to remember what may happen just the same.

This trailer was blown over with the wind. Anti-sway would have done nothing to prevent it, and WD would have little effect. Would have either ripped the hitch off the truck or taken the truck with it.

The wind can blow over full 80,000 lb. semis, and take the tractor with it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really amazing video, and still can be a great reminder. Whatever it takes.

I've (thankfully) never needed my seat belt, but I still wear it. Same goes for the WD hitch.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

My experience tells me that everyone else's experiences are not very experienced.

Sway is not needed, WD is not needed, anyone can toe without them.

Bob
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Yes, because even though your 3/4T can handle higher payloads, you need not only WD but also sway control ... we have had good luck with the infinite (almost) adjustments available with the Equalizer brand.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We just traded for a new 3/4 ton Ram( which is rated to two 17,300#) .

We have a ProPride hitch. When we first hitched up, prior to weighing the Front Axle before and after hitching, we noticed immediately that the rear of the truck behaved a little "squirrelly" ---being buffeted by passing trucks, etc.

The difference in the FA weights was only #200, but after we adjusted the jack mechanisms on the 3P hitch, bringing the FA weight back to the same as before hitching, the towing was "back to normal"...stable as a rock...(tested only to 65mph)

WD hitch? NO Question....I wouldn't leave home without it...especially the 3P!
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
JUST TO BE CLEAR ON THIS....... This accident had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LACK of a WD hitch.

NO WD HITCH WOULD HAVE SAVED THIS RV-OWner from this rollover. In fact, if he'd had a WD hitch in this accident it likely would have rolled his pickup truck also because the WD would have transferred all that motion to his steering axle as well. So...his lack of a WD likely saved him from the possibly of serious injury.

Now... is a WD hitch helpful in more usual circumstances (other than towing a large slab-sided RV in high crosswinds?) Probably. And sway control is a good thing especially with that sort of RV design.

But neither had anything to do with this guy towing in winds too strong for his rig to be travelling down the roadway.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekfitt View Post
Hi All,

After years of watching my parents motor all over with their various RV's, I have purchased a used 2006 28 CCD. I have extensive experience towing with a 3/4 ton and 1 ton and care to continue with that as a personal choice. Despite towing weights far greater than the AS with both, I've never towed anything further than 500 miles roundtrip and have simply never used a WD setup.

Is there any benefit to doing so with a heavy truck? I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has a similar setup with the heavier trucks and newer heavier Airstreams. Not hoping to start a debate between 1500/2500/3500 but would definitely appreciate some anecdotal and any technical implications of using WD with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Cheers!
Derek
3/4 and 1 ton are two different things. Which are you towing with?

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
JUST TO BE CLEAR ON THIS....... This accident had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LACK of a WD hitch.

NO WD HITCH WOULD HAVE SAVED THIS RV-OWner from this rollover. In fact, if he'd had a WD hitch in this accident it likely would have rolled his pickup truck also because the WD would have transferred all that motion to his steering axle as well. So...his lack of a WD likely saved him from the possibly of serious injury.

Now... is a WD hitch helpful in more usual circumstances (other than towing a large slab-sided RV in high crosswinds?) Probably. And sway control is a good thing especially with that sort of RV design.

But neither had anything to do with this guy towing in winds too strong for his rig to be travelling down the roadway.
Only thing I got from the video and from other stories on here:

1. Don't drive in really high winds with a tall trailer
2. Don't tailgate even to get a cool accident video
3. If you do need to video a wreck turn off the mic so you don't include comments like "I wanna see it go completely over"
4. You don't have to pass every semi.
5. Tailgate me all you want, I'm not exceeding construction zone speed limits. I'm responsible for my passengers; you're responsible for yours.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote