Old 03-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Pittston , Arizona
22 Sport brakes?

I need your help. I'm buying a 22 Sport and wonder if I need a brake controller installed on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I know the 22 will have electronic brakes, so is the controller needed? Even if not needed, is there any down side to me installing a controller for an emergency stopping power?

Thanks for your help.

NEPAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Yes it is a must

IMHO, the Tekonsha proigy P3 - brake controller is the cats meow

along with Sway control and
weight distribution

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Your tow vehicle must have a brake controller, or the Airstream brakes will not function. And you do need brakes!
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Yes, you want a brake controller. Manual application of the trailer brakes in coordination with vehicle acceleration is the tactic used to stop a sway event.

Some brake controllers are built into the tow vehicle by the manufacturer, some are hard wired to the vehicle as an aftermarket install and some are wireless plug and play. Some vehicles need a special light/brake module installed to communicate and connect the 7 pin plug for the trailer light and brake umbilical cable. The best unit and components will vary by vehicle type. A conversation with your dealer is a good place to start. A forum that is specific to your vehicle can help with pros and cons. Pat

edit: These folks may be of help. The GC does not come with a brake controller, but Jeep seems to sell one. Lots of aftermarket choices. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...stion-3662809/
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAStreamin View Post
I need your help. I'm buying a 22 Sport and wonder if I need a brake controller installed on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I know the 22 will have electronic brakes, so is the controller needed? Even if not needed, is there any down side to me installing a controller for an emergency stopping power?

Thanks for your help.
Aside from your safety, most states and provinces require operational trailer brakes above a certain weight. In AZ it is 3,000 lbs. Your 22' has a base weight of about 3,634 lbs, so legally you require operational trailer brakes.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote