Old 05-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
2018 F150 update

I have been looking at the new 2018 F150 with EB and 10speed. The pricing is still very high, with limited discounts of around $5K discount max...still very costly to get the new one. I drove the new 2018 F250 on Saturday; what a surprise. Very nice ride, pickup, and solid TV for sure...just too big for me, as daily driver duty. Waiting for the 2018 F150 Diesel may be a 9 months out according to this posting:
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the...+news+(foxnews)

I am scheduled to pick up my new 28' Flying Cloud early June; may just keep my 2012 F150 EB until next year and see how it handles the 28'...Any advice on how to "beef up" the payload to handle the 28' is appreciated. My payload is only 1100# on my F150. Hate to buy a new TV or even a slightly used TV with all this new technology coming out in a few months...

gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The half-ton pickup, 3.0 turbodiesel engine, and mid-size Airstream are a really nice towing combo, a smooth daily driver, and with remarkable and consistent fuel economy, they are well worth the wait.

Our Ram Ecodiesel also has about 1100# "payload" rating but when towing loaded a few hundred pounds over and the weight verified by CAT scale to be evenly distributed and not overloaded on either axle rating, it handles, brakes beautifully and delivers plenty of power to go anywhere we wish. You need a quality, capable weight distribution hitch or the rear axle will probably be overloaded and the steering axle "floating".

Do not load well over the "payload" rating without the trailer attached and doing hauling in the truck's bed. On our experience that is where the payload rating actually makes sense. The truck will sag in back, possibly overload the rear axle and handle, and brake relatively poorly.

One of the issues with diesel engines is the lack of compression braking we use with our gas engines. There has been discussion about engine braking on some of the new smaller diesel trucks, a useful feature on steep declines with or without a trailer in tow.

The smaller diesels generally have some level of exhaust braking by closing the turbine's variable vanes to create exhaust back pressure on the pistons. Our Ram EcoD closes the vanes when needed to about 40-50% automatically when cruise control or tow/haul are selected. Greater turbine exhaust braking is available (and preferred by some) through aftermarket ECM software to about 90% vane closing, a higher level of turbine exhaust braking.

The new smaller Duramax Colorado/Canyon has a switch to activate turbine/exhaust braking. I believe the recent Nissan Titan Cummins 5.0 turbodiesel uses computer software to activate and control turbine exhaust braking, similar to our EcoDiesel. It will be interesting to see what the F-150 turbodiesel comes up with to control downhill speeds, especially when towing.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote