Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream-Style View Post
Yes, this new Ridgeline has Overdrive lock out. I did get the "tow-package" so the figures I showed reflected that.
Sounds like you have the basics for a nice Airstream tow vehicle and you have some very good info/posts so far. Good luck with your Airstream decision.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #22
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
-- snip -- which leaves 827 lbs to spread in the back seats or over the trucks rear axle. -- snip --
Load in front of the TV rear axle. Back seats good, but keep as low as possible. Only the lightest and bulkiest should go behind the rear axle. That reduces the weight distribution requirement and associated forces. Also improves the polar moment of the TV. All good. Logical, so my apology for jumping in, if your plan was already there. Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
I too thought the Ridgeline would be a good tug for the 19 AS. I went to a local Honda dealer to take one for a test drive. The sales manager came out to talk to me. I told him what I wanted to tow a 19 AS with the Ridgeline. He said I should get a "real truck" for that purpose. He said the Ridge was far better driving and handling than a body on frame truck when not towing, but would be at it's limit with 4500lbs and 600 tongue weight on it. He said if I did get a Ridgeline anyway, to order an all wheel drive version, which they didn't have on the lot.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks for the continued information, I really appreciate it. We are taking a trip to Paso Robles wine country this weekend in the new Ridgeline and we will be discussing all your posts and hope to glimpse an AS on the road.

BTW:
Yes, this new Ridgeline has Overdrive lock out. I did get the "tow-package" so the figures I showed reflected that.

To USATraveler: We excluded the 22' Sport because when parked, we don't have a rear window, but a bathroom wall which makes it seem darker to us. I like the layout however, but my husband doesn't care for the center dinette.

So, it's down to jumping from $45,000 (Sport-16) to $62,000 (FC-19) and gaining A LOT of added goodies, but more concern on how we load it, traveling "lite" and perhaps less performance on steep grades.

Sometimes I feel like I'm overthinking things: AS manual says the "Net Carrying Capacity" for the FC-19 is 640 lbs, and I certainly will stick to it.
Honda Door sticker says 1477 Max payload: it assumes 2-150lb humans +30lbs luggage (divide that into our bellies and the weight is pretty close ), I've got a 50 lb tonneau cover, max hitch/tongue weight is 600 lbs which leaves 827 lbs to spread in the back seats or over the trucks rear axle.

I'll buy a Tongue Scale and use the CAT scales nearby me too. I'm already attracted to the Eaz-Lift which CanAm seems to use, and I'll compose a PM to Andy and see what he thinks. Thanks!
I can't add to the feedback you've gotten here on towing capacity. Just make sure you put the cart before the horse. The 16' vs 19ft decision is critical. And IMO the salesman comments were right on
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
Our 2007 Ridgeline with 2010 22' Sport

We no longer have that original set-up. We then moved up to a 2011 Flying Cloud 27' FB with a 2007 F-150. We're now towing a 2016 30' Classic with a 2012 F-250 Diesel. The two earlier incantations didn't work for us. The current set-up--albeit pricey, is the first time we've felt comfortable on the road and in camp. Enough said.
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
Hello Stream-Style, We tow a 2017 19' International with a 2009 Honda Ridgeline. I would be happy to share what we have learned. You are not overthinking this!!
First the trailer weighs more than the listed brochure ratings. The manufactured weight is listed on a tag on the left side of the trailer. Ours is 3897# w/o water. With a full tank of water the cargo capacity is reduced to 273#.
The listed tongue weights do not include water in your fresh water tank. Our tongue weight is closer to 630#, not the listed 550#.
The fine print in the Ridgeline owners manual that states you lose about 1% of your tow capacity with every 1000' elevation climb.
There is a lot more to share, I don't know where you are at in the process. If it is helpful i'll post more. That being said, we are looking for a more capable tow vehicle, for our needs, the Ridgeline is hard to beat. Like you we boondock, in retrospect I would have purchased a different trailer, since we wanted to keep the Ridgeline.
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Hi KayO,

I have a black edition and am looking at basecamp, bambi 16, 22FB, and the 19C. Built my spreadsheet and the 19C is pretty much right at the ridgeline's full capacity - at sea level - and we live near the Sierras, so 7,000 feet + is expected. If you did buy a different trailer, which would you select?

Thanks
camperguy58 is offline   Reply With Quote