Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2016, 06:33 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Howell , Michigan
what rear end ratio do you have 3.73 or 4.10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_tex View Post
First post on the airforums! Wanted to say thanks for all the great information I found on this site when making decisions about my TV and airstream. I still like to read about different setups so I thought I would add my first impressions on the 2500 with the big HEMI.

I bought the 2500 for the specific purpose of towing a 25' International. I previously owned a 1500 Ecodiesel. I loved everything about that truck with the exception of the 1300# payload. Had no idea to check payload till I began reading this forum. With 4 passengers, contents, bed cover, etc. I decided I should upgrade to a 2500. I just assumed I would end up with the cummins, but after test driving the HEMI I preferred it as an everyday driver.

After two trips with the airstream, here are a few observations:

Gas Mileage: Averaging 15 MPG CITY/HWY not towing, can hit 18 MPG on highway. Averaging 10 - 12 MPG towing a 25' International.

Likes: Handles really well. The 6.4 doesnt seem to be straining at all. If anything it is almost too quiet. Still prefer the Ram electronics and Uconnect system over all others.

Dislikes: Truck sits up really high and requires a large receiver drop. Although I have a 31 gallon tank, I have yet to add over 26 gallons to the tank even though the low fuel light is on. This seems to be a common complaint among RAM owners.
I am strongly considering the 6.4L Hemi. Which rear end do you have 3.73 or 4.10? The payload is 3300# with the Hemi vs 2380# with the CTD. To me the payload difference is a big deal with 1000# tong weights. If your mpg is accurate I don't see how the CTD can be justified. I am sure the CTD is the best diesel on the market but all the other stuff on it is the problem for me. It you ever look at a delete video and see the big pile of junk they take off you can see how when you get to 100,000 miles it could get real pricey when a stupid sensor fails and a high priced diesel monkey starts guessing on what he should replace.
jcrango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
New 2017 2500 ram 6.7 , 3.42 rear, 4/4 , short 600 mile road trip , empty 20.3 mpg...not bad..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Any updates on the 6.4? I finally convinced the wife to let me get a RAM 2500 6.7. The local dealer let me take home a tradesman 6.7 for the weekend to test drive (yep 3 day test ride.) got it home the wife checked it out for about an hour and was not happy with the basic interior. Took her to other dealer with Laramie mega cabs that she loved. This is where I shot myself in the foot. I showed her a decked 6.4 in order to show her the mega cab. That is when she realized she could have a stripped diesel or a decked out gasser for a similar price...... so I now have a 6.4 2500 mega cab. She did a good job and talked the dealer down $15k below MSRP. So I I thought that was good and was happy about that. But now I'm am curious on the towing and gas performance. All the researching I did was to buy a diesel not another gasser.

I have a 87 32' Excella and have been using a 2000 Chevy 2500 454 gasser with no issues for the last 9 years. She chugs up hill with her 280ish HP, but never let me down.

I agree about the height issue. This new one has a least 6" taller bumper than my Chevy 2500. Hopefully the auto level bags will adjust some.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What is it like towing down a hill with the 6.4L? Does the towhaul mode shift you down enough without having to use the brakes much?

I have a 2015 Ram CTD. This weekend towed about 850 miles and solo 450 miles and the DEF tank went from 3/4 mark to about 1/3 mark. Just topped up the DEF at a local truck stop bulk DEF and took 3.9 gallons for about $10. I also tried fueling from a truck stop with the large nozzle pumps. I've used them a couple of times and most will pump OK but this one just kept overflowing. Got less than two gallons and had to find another fuel stop, plus I had to mess with going in to let them know how much to charge and back in to get a refund. Going to try to stick to consumer islands with diesel from now on or find RV fuel islands. I have to wear disposable gloves because the pump handles are always oily. Only averaged 12mpg towing, most around 60-65mph. similar to my 2010 Tundra. The Ram will get 20mpg solo but was expecting a little better mileage towing.

Just got the catalytic converter recall done on my truck. Scared the diesel emissions is going to crap out on me down the line when out of warranty.

Yes the height of these trucks is ridiculous. I have to carry a step ladder in the bed to get in/out the bed comfortable. I have

If I were to do it over again I wouldn't go with diesel to pull my 25fb. This is my first and last diesel.

Kelvin
Old 02-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Wow that is a perspective I never thought about, as far as the pump issues. That was 1 of the reasons we stayed with gas. We ran straight towards the last Florida Huricane, Matthew since my dad refused to leave. Many gas stations were without gas and even more didn't have diesel.

As far as going down hill, unless you're in some crazy hill country out west it has never been a problem here in the east coast. Going over the continental divide is probably the worst. I just down shift to a lower gear and pump the breaks. I just try to press quickly to slow down momentum and off to let the air cool. I also go lower than the posted speed limits in real steep areas. My Chevy has rear drums so not sure if that has helped. This RAM 2500 is my first time with 4 wheel disk breaks... so we will see.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What is it like towing down a hill with the 6.4L? Does the towhaul mode shift you down enough without having to use the brakes much?

I have a 2015 Ram CTD. This weekend towed about 850 miles and solo 450 miles and the DEF tank went from 3/4 mark to about 1/3 mark. Just topped up the DEF at a local truck stop bulk DEF and took 3.9 gallons for about $10. I also tried fueling from a truck stop with the large nozzle pumps. I've used them a couple of times and most will pump OK but this one just kept overflowing. Got less than two gallons and had to find another fuel stop, plus I had to mess with going in to let them know how much to charge and back in to get a refund. Going to try to stick to consumer islands with diesel from now on or find RV fuel islands. I have to wear disposable gloves because the pump handles are always oily. Only averaged 12mpg towing, most around 60-65mph. similar to my 2010 Tundra. The Ram will get 20mpg solo but was expecting a little better mileage towing.

Just got the catalytic converter recall done on my truck. Scared the diesel emissions is going to crap out on me down the line when out of warranty.

Yes the height of these trucks is ridiculous. I have to carry a step ladder in the bed to get in/out the bed comfortable. I have

If I were to do it over again I wouldn't go with diesel to pull my 25fb. This is my first and last diesel.

Kelvin
We are now 6000 miles into a trip around the US that will be about 12,000 or maybe more miles in total.
The truck has about 21,000 miles on it now and aside from the Nav system it has been a joy!
It is tall, no argument there but all modern trucks are. Mine has rear air suspension and it drops about 1" for towing.
We've averaged about 14.5 mpg so far on our trip. We saw a low of about 10 mpg driving 100 miles into a stiff 30 knot head wind at 70 mph while climbing about 5000 feet and a high of 18 mpg coming back the other way!
I haven't had trouble with large or small fuel nozzles or with smell. I do keep some GoJo wipes in the Rambox in case I need them though.
Just topped up DEF and so far we are seeing about 1 gallon for 1000 miles of towing. The gauge is incredibly non linear though. It seems to indicate a full tank forever and then drop all at once over a small number of miles...
No check engine lights, no problems yet if any kind other than the Nav system. It is finally working most of the time and when working it is pretty awesome.
I wonder if my 2016 has the new style exhaust emissions...
We both love our Ram and hope it lasts forever!
Funny how people like different things...
Bruce