Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
On a Top Ten list of what’s important, a camera isn’t on it.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
I have a 2017 Ford F350 Super Duty, and would like to add TPMS to my trailer tires. Does anyone have a recommended TPMS system that the integrated Ford monitor will read?
The TPMS kit, which includes 4 sensors, cable, receiver, and the new socket that replaces the one on the truck’s bumper, is part #HC3Z 1A189C, available at your local Ford store or online.

The cable includes a connector to which you can add a stand-alone camera kit in the future if you wish,

I just picked up the TPMS kit, which I will install on the 2018 Classic that I am picking up on Wednesday!!!!
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
The TPMS kit, which includes 4 sensors, cable, receiver, and the new socket that replaces the one on the truck’s bumper, is part #HC3Z 1A189C, available at your local Ford store or online.

The cable includes a connector to which you can add a stand-alone camera kit in the future if you wish,

I just picked up the TPMS kit, which I will install on the 2018 Classic that I am picking up on Wednesday!!!!
Thanks Steverino! That makes it easy...
Old 09-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Attachment 296563

Finally got the job done. Camera and TPMS work just fine.
Please tell us how you routed the wire. Thanks
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I guess I can wake up the thread here. I have a 2012 31' Classic with a 2019 F350. I just purchased the Ford TPMS and camera system. I have just run the cable to the TPMS repeater. Ford wanted it mounted on the A-Frame but knowing how good the Airstream is at blocking electronic signals, I didn't want the signals traveling through the belly pan. I mounted the repeater on the belly pan just behind our sewer hose storage. This should protect it from many road hazards.

The next step is the cable for the camera. My plan is to run it down the streetside on the belly pan until the axles. Then I will run up into the wheel well, drill a hole in the wheel well and run it into the trailer. This ends up under our bathroom sink. From there I have a path to the rear of the trailer. I then go up to the top behind our cabinets, ultimately putting a hole in the top rear for the camera.

I will document this all in my blog.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:32 PM   #46
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have this system on my 2017 F250. Great system. Always wondered why Ford didn't use bluetooth as that might eliminate the cabling.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
When I got my 2017 F250, I could not find anyone other than the service manager, who had installed the TPMS kit himself on his SOB, nor anyone who had installed the Ford camera, so I just used the AS camera and display that came with our 28'.. i also installed the TST TPMS system, and put the repeater on the A frame up front; no issues with weather/road hazard. Yea, I have 2 extra displays to deal with, but not a big deal...but, I admit, it would be nice if it was all integrated...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
A slight change in pathway of the camera cable. I REALLY do not want to drill a hole in the back shell of the trailer. I will be taking the cable up from the belly pan into back of the refrigerator. From here up the back of the fridge, out the vent on the roof. I will then run the cable on the roof until the camera in the back.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:06 PM   #49
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I didn't want to drill a hole, either. I ran my cable under the trailer to the back bumper. I used adhesive cable snap lock clamps to run the cable up the back of the trailer. During the winter, I take the camera off and coil the cable up and zip tie it under the bumper.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:17 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
On a Top Ten list of what’s important, a camera isn’t on it.
"Who's" top 10 list are you talking about anyway? It is on my list for sure! Especially helpful when pulling a TT seeing who is behind you on the interstate when changing lanes or when you've cleared a car/truck your passing. It is also very useful when backing into a spot...especially during a driving rainstorm--trust me, I know from experience here. I have found the camera to be extremely important, even just backing into a spot when no one is with me to help direct; camera has been a great investment. If you don't have one, you will never know the added value it brings to traveling!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I didn't want to drill a hole, either. I ran my cable under the trailer to the back bumper. I used adhesive cable snap lock clamps to run the cable up the back of the trailer. During the winter, I take the camera off and coil the cable up and zip tie it under the bumper.
Any photos of your setup. Thanks
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Tpms

I have the TPMS installed and it works great...except...I had a flat and I also replaced all the tires now I have to manually reset each sensor. It's a PITA to follow the setup process and do it manually. I can't find anyone to do it with a wand, as is how I understand regular tire TPMS's are done. The Ford dealer won't touch them and none of the tire places around here will touch them and the Airstream factory wouldn't set them (although they did do the tire replacement for me). What are you all doing to set/reset your Ford TPMS? I have not yet done the manual reset process yet.
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcD View Post
I have the TPMS installed and it works great...except...I had a flat and I also replaced all the tires now I have to manually reset each sensor. It's a PITA to follow the setup process and do it manually. I can't find anyone to do it with a wand, as is how I understand regular tire TPMS's are done. The Ford dealer won't touch them and none of the tire places around here will touch them and the Airstream factory wouldn't set them (although they did do the tire replacement for me). What are you all doing to set/reset your Ford TPMS? I have not yet done the manual reset process yet.

youtube on Fords TPMS above..there are other youtubes on this topic.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
"Who's" top 10 list are you talking about anyway? It is on my list for sure! Especially helpful when pulling a TT seeing who is behind you on the interstate when changing lanes or when you've cleared a car/truck your passing. It is also very useful when backing into a spot...especially during a driving rainstorm--trust me, I know from experience here. I have found the camera to be extremely important, even just backing into a spot when no one is with me to help direct; camera has been a great investment. If you don't have one, you will never know the added value it brings to traveling!
+1 on that. FWIW, just cruising through the menus on my 2019 super duty, I found that I could view the WiFi camera that came with my AS on the truck display. However I still use the separate camera monitor so I can free up the truck display for a Navigation, etc.

I still use the TST display for TPMS. It’s small and runs for a long time on a charge.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:47 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks for the video but that's the manual process I'm trying to avoid. As I understand it car TPMS can be set with a wand. That's what I am hoping for with trailer TPMS's especially if it's like Fords and it's integrated into the truck and not a separate stand alone TPMS.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Thanks for the video but that's the manual process I'm trying to avoid. As I understand it car TPMS can be set with a wand. That's what I am hoping for with trailer TPMS's especially if it's like Fords and it's integrated into the truck and not a separate stand alone TPMS.
A wand?? That sounds like magic! These things arn't rocket science...you can watch youtubes for these or call the tech support line and they will take you thru the set up pretty fast...I have done both. If lazy, call the tech support line!
Old 05-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
No, none of that is the issue. I have already set them up when originally installed. I'm just saying when I asked the Ford dealer Tech how do they set up the car & truck TPMS systems he said they just "...use a wand...". So I don't know what that is all about but if they are that easy to set up why can't they do that with the trailer TPMS?
Old 05-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #58
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I asked my Ford dealer to install but they said that they can't get the trailer on a lift so they could not work on it. Ended up having a friend who works on RV's install the system. I think he actually did a better job then Ford would have done. He integrated the camera where the old license plate light was and installed two new LED lights for the license plate. Best camera I have ever had.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-7.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	368059
Old 05-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
No, none of that is the issue. I have already set them up when originally installed. I'm just saying when I asked the Ford dealer Tech how do they set up the car & truck TPMS systems he said they just "...use a wand...". So I don't know what that is all about but if they are that easy to set up why can't they do that with the trailer TPMS?
Understand...wish they had a wand for "diagnostics and repair"!