Old 05-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Glen Allen , Virginia
Ford trailer TPMS and steel carcass tires

Thanks Nord for the info. Great to know your system is working.

I have a 2017 Classic too. Tires are Michelin LT 225/75R16.

Part of their construction is promoted as being benefited from combining 2 steel belts alongside other polymeric structure.

I'm guessing AS installed same tires on all model year, so I should be OK and the caution from Ford is likely overblown.

They do make a blanket statement on the install instructions that reads;

"Note: The TPMS sensors cannot be used on steel carcass tires"

Thanks again for the insight.

Alex

a1ofm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lumberton , Mississippi
Send a message via ICQ to Lyman
I would not trust any dealers for much. If I had a new truck would not feel good with them working on it to begin with. Let me fully understand your situation here. I think you are wanting the camera on your AS to be used on the monitor that is already part of your truck. If this is the situation forget it because if you get lucky and get it working in beginning it will gave you trouble later on. You could even lose your monitor completely in truck someday who knows. Leave well enough alone and be thankful you have a new truck to begin with. Just put AS monitor in temporary place for towing and take out when not using. Keep us informed of how this comes out.

Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Glen Allen , Virginia
thanks for the interest, but no, i am only interested in the TPMS system, not the camera. I can buy either or both. And you are correct that the dealer has limited knowledge. and even less interest in tackling a basic install..so i will end up with an aftermarket system, that will work without having to remove and disassemble wheels and tires, and does not claim incompatibility with common tires....Ford! You have had record reductions in sales...really! why do you make it so difficult for loyal customers to access basic facilities such as trailer TPMS because your General Counsel indulged in the "parade of imaginary horribles" and persuaded you to disclaim use of a basic feature that works just fine. Jeez. Let the engineers run things, not the lawyers!
a1ofm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Northville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1ofm View Post
"Note: The TPMS sensors cannot be used on steel carcass tires"
Hmmm, I wonder if people are reading more into this than it deserves. I'm not a tire expert, but reading that I've done on tire construction often uses two terms: tire carcass and belts. Don't know if someone at Ford is using the term incorrectly and really meant "steel belted tires". Goodyear at least does manufacture a steel carcass tire - the Unisteel G133/G159/G171 Truck/SUV Tire. It is reported as a very tough tire. So with many people putting LT tires on trailers, if you use one of these, then the sensor may not get picked up.
Totally containing a radio transmitter inside metal will definitely impede the signal. But don't most tires have rubber and fabric as the sidewall? That shouldn't have much impact on the signal.
I would expect that they are using the same transmitter that is in the truck tires which does not monitor temperature, so it doesn't surprise me that the trailer sensors won't report temperature.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Richmond , British Columbia
MidTown RV, the AS dealer in Penticton BC installed my system last week.
TPMS works as it should, required a short drive to set and read the pressures.
Mounted the Ford camera down low, as the AS camera is up high aimed down the road.
We ended up drilling one hole for the Ford camera, behind the license plate, well sealed with a grommet. The tech did a great job in fabricating a bracket out of aluminum which he attached to the existing license plate bracket.
He ran the wire down behind the skin, under the belly pans at the rear, then out to the front.
Real pleased with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedFullSizeRender[346]_LI.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	578.3 KB
ID:	287309   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_6082[345]_LI.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	287310  

Old 06-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if people are reading more into this than it deserves. I'm not a tire expert, but reading that I've done on tire construction often uses two terms: tire carcass and belts. Don't know if someone at Ford is using the term incorrectly and really meant "steel belted tires". Goodyear at least does manufacture a steel carcass tire - the Unisteel G133/G159/G171 Truck/SUV Tire. It is reported as a very tough tire. So with many people putting LT tires on trailers, if you use one of these, then the sensor may not get picked up.
Totally containing a radio transmitter inside metal will definitely impede the signal. But don't most tires have rubber and fabric as the sidewall? That shouldn't have much impact on the signal.
I would expect that they are using the same transmitter that is in the truck tires which does not monitor temperature, so it doesn't surprise me that the trailer sensors won't report temperature.

I just installed the Ford TPMS option on my 2017 Classic and 250 last week. The sensors are different than those on the truck according to the guy in the parts dept when I bought one extra sensor for the spare. I had the local discount tire install the sensors. I installed the new harness and receiver - it was a breeze. System works as advertised
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Northville , Michigan
^^ Good to hear that the feature works.

Safe travels.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1ofm View Post
. . . My Michelin LT tires have two steel belts as well as polymer cords......will buy an alternate TPMS probably the simple flow through design. Anyone got strong opinions on various options??Alex
Alex, you have perhaps the most reliable Airstream tires on the market, your chance of sudden failure (blowout) is zero. Even if you have a TPMS and a sudden failure (blowout) there is a good chance the trailer will receive considerable damage anyway.

We decided to spend our money on more useful things than trailer TPMS. For the tow vehicle, it's a different story and a good accessory.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Alex, you have perhaps the most reliable Airstream tires on the market, your chance of sudden failure (blowout) is zero. Even if you have a TPMS and a sudden failure (blowout) there is a good chance the trailer will receive considerable damage anyway.

We decided to spend our money on more useful things than trailer TPMS. For the tow vehicle, it's a different story and a good accessory.
So there are no nails or screws or debris on any of the roads you travel on dkottum?

These do not cause a catastrophic blowout.Without TPMS on your trailer you will never know that a tire has gone down.That is why we all carry a spare.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Northville , Michigan
^^ x2

Or get a bit of grit in the valve when you check the tire pressure, lots of reasons you can get a slow lead that leads to big problems.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #25
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
All great questions and answers here. I just bought a 2017 Super Duty although I have not taken delivery as yet. The TPMS seems like it might be an easy install but a previous poster mentioned that it does not work on steel belted tires. That does not make much sense since almost all tires today are steel belted.

The camera is another issue. I also do not want a heavy cable draped over and around my trailer. Might be a job for the right AS dealer or mounting it low above the bumper might work.

Both systems sound great if they work. Following this threat very closely.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I have Michelin Ribs and Tpms on my 2017 F350 works perfectly.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
All great questions and answers here. I just bought a 2017 Super Duty although I have not taken delivery as yet. The TPMS seems like it might be an easy install but a previous poster mentioned that it does not work on steel belted tires. That does not make much sense since almost all tires today are steel belted.

The camera is another issue. I also do not want a heavy cable draped over and around my trailer. Might be a job for the right AS dealer or mounting it low above the bumper might work.

Both systems sound great if they work. Following this threat very closely.
Hi

As mentioned in several other threads on this topic, the issue with steel tires are designs with steel in the sidewalls of the tire in addition to the tread area. Effectively they are "steel all over". I have yet to see anybody come up with an example of an Airstream sized tire that is made that way. Certainly none of the standard tires people use are constructed by that technique. (It's expensive ....)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #28
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
The answer to a previous post is the cost is about $750.00US. Not including installation. An entirely new plug comes with the kit that will replace the original factory plug on the back of your pick up. Cables, camera and plugs come with the kit.