Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by abone View Post
I picked mine up last week, Platinum in Ingot Silver. I removed the FX4 sticker for a cleaner look.
My first tow was a short one, around 100 Km's to the hitch place to install a longer shank for my Equal-i-zer 4 Point, and to remove some spacers in the hitch. I ran across the scales before and after the installation of the new shank. The hitch was too high without the new shank and too much weight was being transferred to the front axle (too many spacers). After adjustments the scale read identical weight front and rear axles on the truck. After countless adjustments with my Ram Eco-Diesel I am a happy man with this rig. Endless power, and from what I can see so far, will be satisfied with the fuel economy.
Still only have 200 km's on the truck so getting used to the orientation of gauges, switches and things. The Nav and display is clunky to use, and when I plug in my iPhone that annoying Apple Car Play or whatever its called automatically takes over the display, but I'll eventually figure that out.
I wish the steering wheel was thicker, and a different material after driving the Ram for 3 years, but again, something to get used to.
So far so good.
Oh yeah, '17 27FB Int Sig
I went from a RAM EcoDiesel to F-250 Platinum as well. The first thing I did was remove the FX4 sticker, not sure why they put something so large on.

The RAM has a better interior, almost immediately I missed the steering wheel from the RAM since it's wood for the top portion it has a better and larger feel. The leather on the Ford Steering wheel wrinkles under my hand. Also the Ford interior has a much more plastic feel to it.

I do however like Apple Car Play, it makes the center stack a bit more usable.
Mgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Richmond , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgieselman View Post
I went from a RAM EcoDiesel to F-250 Platinum as well. The first thing I did was remove the FX4 sticker, not sure why they put something so large on.

The RAM has a better interior, almost immediately I missed the steering wheel from the RAM since it's wood for the top portion it has a better and larger feel. The leather on the Ford Steering wheel wrinkles under my hand. Also the Ford interior has a much more plastic feel to it.

I do however like Apple Car Play, it makes the center stack a bit more usable.
The steering wheel material not only wrinkles but makes a noise when it does.
I am getting used to the Apple Car Play now, and appreciate being able to use Google Maps, which is much superior to any Nav system.
Agree with you on the interior. I like the dash layout and instrumentation but the seat leather seems cheap, almost like faux leather. I keep pinching the leather and wondering if it is indeed leather. I suspect the brown looks better, but with a silver truck, it has to be black.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Anyone have reliability issues with a super duty? They seem great but my reexent experience with ford SUV and Jeep GC are making me once again doubt American made products.

I have an old 4Runner that has been awesome. Kids took around with it. No major maintenance issues. The Ford and Jeep jljvae been very problematic at 100k miles and more.

I want a ford superduty as a TV but I'm nervous about the cost and reliability..
Old 05-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Annapolis , Maryland
I have a 2011 loaded Lariat F250 6.7l diesel with 128k miles and no problems. The build date of my truck was just after Ford resolved major valve and glow plug issues. No engine or drivetrain issues. No electronics issues either. Many miles traveling at autobahn speed and towing 28ft international over the alps. The new scorpion engines are better still.
wander-west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #65
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just ordered a 2017 F250 Lariat. Has anyone installed the rear camera option on their trailer and the tire pressure option for their trailer?
Old 06-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Richmond , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Just ordered a 2017 F250 Lariat. Has anyone installed the rear camera option on their trailer and the tire pressure option for their trailer?
Yes and yes. There is a thread here from a few that have installed both including me. Works very well.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/2017-ford-ultimate-trailer-camera-and-tpms-166347.html
abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by abone View Post
Yes and yes. There is a thread here from a few that have installed both including me. Works very well.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ms-166347.html
I got a loaded F250 King Ranch 3 weeks ago including the camera options...wife loves the camera's on the F250 with 360 view for parking, maneuvering; I love it for hooking up the trailer also. For the trailer back up camera, we use the AS camera and monitor that came with our 2017 FC. Would have been nice to have it integrated into the navigation display on the F250; don't see a value in replacing the AS unit with a Ford unit at this point?

We have not purchased the TPMS from Ford yet. I believe they are pretty pricy? But, after talking with a fellow ASer we met this week in Glacier, we will surely be getting soon. He had a 30' FC, and when driving from NM to MT this past week, he had 3 tires give out/ close to blow out...rapid loss of air each time within days of each occurrence. Fortunately for him, he had installed a TPMS system couple years ago and was able to see the tire issues prior to flats or blowouts on the road...tires were 4 years old. Good Year Marathons. He said he always protects his tires from sun, but was surprised to have 3 all fail after 4 years. Praised the TPMS....wife told me price is not worth the stress of wondering about the tires...so, we will get the Ford system that's integrated into our truck.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Gypsydad, sounds like a nice ride. What is the payload on that rig?
Old 06-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Just saw this question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Gypsydad, sounds like a nice ride. What is the payload on that rig?
The payload is 2138, which for us is plenty for the kayaks, bed cover,
camping gear, generator, and wife's fancy new camp chairs. We've been driving around up here in up here in Glacier all week. Friend just got in with his new 23D and his F150 EB...he really likes the ride and was amazed at the power from this beast. He had not ridden in an F250 newer than 2016. I agree...the 2017 ride is very smooth for a 3/4T.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
2017 Ford Super Duty

The 2017 F350 rides exactly the same as the F250 which most don't realize as the share the same primary spring.They both are amazingly smooth riding and quiet.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #71
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
I am using an Equalizer hitch. The receive on the new 2017 Super Duty is 3" higher then my current receiver. I guess I will need a longer shank?
Old 08-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
They sell higher ones, but you can also turn the shank upside down to get more height. I did that with a lift and didn't have to buy a new one.

They have them on etrailer and Amazon. Pretty expensive, $90-140 depending on size etc... try turning it the other way first.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
I am using an Equalizer hitch. The receive on the new 2017 Super Duty is 3" higher then my current receiver. I guess I will need a longer shank?
Yes you will need the longer shank for the 2017 Superduty.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Yes you will need the longer shank for the 2017 Superduty.
FYI, with the longer shaft on a F-250 you get more lift off the rear axle out of the WD setting.
I set it the same way I had it on my F-150 and it transferred way too much to the front axle. I ended up with a scary ride and decided to reweigh the entire rig and that's how I found out.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #75
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
I have ordered the shank with the longer shaft. If I set it up the same way as my current F-250 only with the ball being higher why would that effect the WD?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #76
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I have ordered the shank with the longer shaft. If I set it up the same way as my current F-250 only with the ball being higher why would that effect the WD?
Hi

The "angle" between the hitch and the trailer is what varies the WD on an Equalizer. If you raise the ball without fiddling washers, you change the angle and the WD. To ride level, the trailer hitch needs to be at a certain height off the ground. To high and the back scrapes even more often. To low and you bump the front more often.

So, simple answer: Get the ball height set to level the trailer. Then fiddle washers to do the WD. Then re-check the level to be sure it's still ok.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #77

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:

If you were level on the old truck and by using the longer stinger on the new truck it's level then it shouldn't.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #78
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
ok, thanks. More concerned with sway rather then WD.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
I put a lot of effort into setting up my hitch.
If it is convenient I would weigh the rig with the current set up and do it again with the new set up and that will give you an accurate picture of how much weight you are transferring with either set up.
In my case I was taking too much of the rear axle and that made for an unstable drive.
Of course weighing a rig is not always very convenient but its worth the effort IMHO.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #80
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

With the Equalizer, getting the WD set up is what loads the spring arms. Loading the spring arms is what gives you friction. Friction is what does the anti-sway. It's sort of an "everything at once" setup. Yes, this can lead to some odd outcomes if you are not careful.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote