Old 02-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #15

Kennebunk , Maine
Thanks everyone for taking the time to care about my topic and share your expertise, opinions, and comments. I appreciate it. I'm going to take some time to read the comments posted here, digest and comprehend them, with the hope to write more concerning this topic as the day progresses.

Also - I realized I mistakenly wrote 22' somewhere in my post. Sorry about that. I only meant 16'.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I have a 2007 Pilot and a 2011 Pilot both are the towing packages, the later being the Touring model. I towed a Coleman Niagara popup with the 2011, I think that is around 3500# as it is the larger model.

Well I would go 2 hrs with it on flat roads, but I would not load it up with the entire family and gear and go across the country or over the hills. But that is just me.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
That's incorrect information. At between 1300 and 1500 lbs, the Pilot can carry more weight than many a 1/2 pickup, has better suspension all round, has a better transmission and an engine that's proven to work well with far greater loads.
Please give a warning to the forum if you ever decide to pull your 32' Airstream with your minivan in Colorado. You are going to be held criminally liable in an accident if you decide to pull a trailer that is twice as heavy as the rating of your minivan as you stated in your previous post.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
For the last three years, we have happily and safely towed our 34' 1984 International with our Honda Odyssey, same platform as the Pilot, which is rated to tow 3500lbs - our trailer weighs more than double that.

With a payload of 1350lbs, the Honda had ample margin as far as weight carrying capacity was concerned, axle weight was always int he green and the engine didn't struggle once. The low centre of gravity and the independent suspension, coupled with a Hensley hitch, kept things wonderfully stable.

Equip your trailer with a good hitch and enjoy - Hondas make wonderful tow vehicles.
You will be held criminally liable for towing a trailer over your tow rating in the United States not if, but when you have an accident. How can you recommend or justify being so irresponsible?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
We had a Pilot, and it was a wonderful vehicle.

If we had purchased a 16 we probably would have kept it. But that is assuming that only 2 people and gear for 2 would be on the trip.

Once we decided that for various reasons we would not be getting a 16, we traded in the Pilot for a Toyota Tundra V8 5.7 liter.

Having driven a Pilot for 10 years and in the mountains and on many highway trips, I would say that I would have been comfortable using it for a 16. But not really for anything larger.

Due to my opinion /personal comfort in having some power in reserve if needed to avoid or get out of a urgent situation at highway travel speeds.

The Pilot had a very good highway ride, and I can say from a near-miss we had on the interstate (not while towing anything) that the Pilot has excellent lateral control and ability to steer back into line if you have to move suddenly at highway speeds. It had good acceleration on the highway, and was fantastic in winter weather.

It is a very comfortable vehicle, and never gave us a lick of trouble.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
One thing I noticed with the Pilot is that the highway mpg went from 20 to 10 when towing. In contrast, I am between 15 and 16 with the Powerstroke and 30' trailer. So I was amazed how much towing affected the Pilots gas mileage, almost as if it wasn't intended to haul the load. That's just speculation on my part, however.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
One thing I noticed with the Pilot is that the highway mpg went from 20 to 10 when towing. In contrast, I am between 15 and 16 with the Powerstroke and 30' trailer. So I was amazed how much towing affected the Pilots gas mileage, almost as if it wasn't intended to haul the load. That's just speculation on my part, however.
Would a Powerstroke be a diesel? Was the cost of the PS less or more than the Honda? Did the Honda or the PS get better millage deadheading? Speculation? Smile when you say that partner! Pat
Old 02-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Would a Powerstroke be a diesel? Was the cost of the PS less or more than the Honda? Did the Honda or the PS get better millage deadheading? Speculation? Smile when you say that partner! Pat
Yes, Powerstroke as in Ford diesel, it's a 2005 Ford Excursion. My love. Since I bought it used, it was cheaper.

What is deadheading? The Honda is a fantastic vehicle, however I feel the Honda is of racing heritage, superb with higher RPMs and handling, but maybe not such a great hauler. It constantly searched for gears when towing, up, down, up, down...didn't feel right.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
What did you pay for your honda? I bet you could have gotten a 1/2 ton that didn't need its timing BELT changed every 70k.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Personally I would get the Sport 22 and tow it with the Honda. It's longer length is much more livable and a little more stable towing. A good hitch and setup is essential. If the Honda shifts up/down often, you just need to drop it down a gear like the rest of us do; when it doesn't you have found your normal towing gear.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enived2 View Post
What did you pay for your honda? I bet you could have gotten a 1/2 ton that didn't need its timing BELT changed every 70k.
Since my wife gets the Pilots from her fathers company as a company car, I paid:

$0.00

Old 02-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
You know, Ive been thinking about this, And with all the threads about "what do you think about a honda tv"? maybe a better thread might be how many of you have traded to a more appropriate tv after just getting by with your hondas. Getting 9-10 mpg and having white knuckles is not helpful to the earth or your mental well being.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:03 AM   #27
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Deadhead...that would be traveling without a payload or tow. Alternatively, you could reference the practice as running bobtail, which is another reference to a rig without a trailer.

Zero $....wow, that's even better than I could have imagined. That would make the maintenance to replace a timing belt well worth any trouble or expense. Too bad they didn't have the new 9 speed transmission to smooth out the gear changes on those hills. Then again, you could have locked it in manual. I kind of like a high rpm engine rolling up to full song as it works for it's keep. Pat
Old 02-17-2016, 04:02 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
we pull a 30 foot flying cloud with a 2008 toyota highlander hybrid quite happily. factory spec on our vehicle is 3500 lbs, our airstream is over 7000 lbs and it tows beautifully. I've learned is there is a lot more to towing than the simplistic tow hitch weight rating.

Far more important to have the hitching done correctly, check out many resources at canamrv.ca and Andy Thompson, they have hitched up more than 1,000 minivans over 40 years in business. we are very happy with ours.

Tags
16' sport