Old 10-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The Canyon gasser might be a better option for occasional towing, unless all you want is top MPG while driving and towing. Which is a fair trade for some people. Its been made real clear by a common towing test site that the smaller diesels entering the market are slow old dogs when towing.

But first, you may like these test drive videos.

2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain - Extreme Towing Test [Ike Gauntlet Midsize] - Truck News, Views and Real World Reviews

They haven't done their real towing test yet, but made these videos so far;

And here's the major point made on hard towing with a small diesels...without a doubt there will be many more results like this one as more as released for sale. A fair trade for high MPG? You decide.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabu View Post
Great points all! Thank you.

I think my biggest concern beyond tongue weight is that tow mirrors do not appear to be a factory option. Looking forward to seeing someone else test the 25' waters with a canyon/colorado before I do....lol.
Chabu, I just installed a set of Milenco Grand Aero towing mirrors on our pickup based on good reports from other users. They are solid and provide excellent view, and don't look too shabby. Otherwise, most probably the after market companies will soon have factory replacements that look factory.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I missed the best video of all regarding the Canyon gasser. It moves a 5600lb trailer (and nearly maxed GCVW) up a steep interstate mountain grade extremely well, and fast. But the driver has to keep their right foot in it to allow RPM's to approach redline where max HP is delivered.

2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain - Extreme Towing Test [Ike Gauntlet Midsize] - Truck News, Views and Real World Reviews
Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Just came back from a 6,451 mile road trip last nite, and am catching up on the daily forums. Here is my six cent worth of advice, based on towing my 20ft FC with either a full-sized 2005 Yukon or a 2012 Tahoe (both 5.3L engines). My advice differs in that I personally think its not wise to see how low one can go with the TV's various capacities. I think we are not doing people like Mr. Chabu a favor second-guessing each other how a moderate sized Canyon (albeit beautiful) will perform in traffic at highway speeds in rainy weather etc pulling even a 23ft. AS. Maybe I'm just getting old and more cautious....
Old 10-21-2015, 02:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Cautious, IMHO is one way to help assure getting old...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Castle , Delaware
Thanks again all for weighing in.

For a bit of perspective, I'm a bit of flat-lander as I live in Delaware - officially the flattest state in the country . I'll pretty much be a casual and fair-weather weekender with trips to beachy state parks like Assateague, etc. I do appreciate and respect towing capacity limits but I also ride a sports bike so I'm ok with being on the edge....lol.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I pull my '96 25' with a 4.7 2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4W Disc Brakes. Can Am reinforced the aftermarket hitch and I have absolute faith in the vehicle's capabilities. I would consider the Canyon if I were looking to replace. I also bought the Dakota so I could get daily commute mileage something closer to 20 MPG. I get 11.5 on flat straight-away at 60 MPH pulling the 25.
I know there are lots who do not agree with a smaller tow vehicle. I am glad to see GM has beefed up the Canyon...It was not big enough when I bought the Dakota.

If you are planning to run a lot of miles in Hilly or mountainous country the Canyon (and my Dakota) are really not up to the challenge however. My Dakota does OK on 7% grades but it is in second gear most of the way. I would not plan to do the Rockies with it!
JCW
Old 10-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #22

Long Beach , California
Last summer were were camped in the Grant Tetons and met a fellow camper who completely burned out all four brakes on his dakota going into the national park. Now the downgrades are pretty steep but he was lucky to find a semi level pullout to coast to a stop half way down the grade. His brakes got so hot that he fused some lug nuts to the wheel studs. He told us that he had never had a problem prior though all his trips had been in the Eastern US.

It not really going up hills that gives me concern, you can always downshift and go slower. Going down safely is another thing. In that case bigger brakes and engine or exhaust brakes are worth the cost. Peace of mind and clean under ware are worth something.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A counterpoint on brakes. We have 44,000 miles on our Ram 1500 Hemi, much of it towing all over this country many times. I have no concern using the truck and trailer brakes as needed with downshifting to also use with engine compression on downgrades. It all works very well together and the truck's brakes show virtually no wear.

The trailer brakes are drum and may show some fade on long steep downgrades. If it were a problem I would convert them to disc brakes, and I may do it anyway as an extra measure.

There may be steep grades that we are not comfortable with, we'll adjust our route or speed accordingly, not get a different truck.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' International
Quartz Hill , California
Google the fast lane truck 2015 GMC Canyon YouTube. They take a 5,600 pound load up to the Eisenhower Tunnel with a GMC Canyon and give a good review of its ability. They discuss payload, tongue weight, take the whole rig on a CAT scale. Well worth watching if you are considering the Canyon or Colorado as a TV. I would post a link but my iPad is on the fritz since the art update.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' International
Quartz Hill , California
Sorry Dkottum I didn't mean to post as a response to you. I meant to post as a response to the original poster.