Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #1

Bashaw , Alberta
2016 Canyon Diesel/International Serenity

TIA for any advice or thoughts on whether or not the following will work...

Our vehicle is 2016 Canyon Duramax 2.8l Turbo Diesel crew cab 4x4 with integrated towing package and exhaust brake. Tow rated at 7600lbs. Payload
1420lbs

We’d like to own an International Serenity 25’FB or RB twin or Flying Cloud 25 FB or RB Twin.

I know next to nothing about this subject and would appreciate advice before heading out to shop. The truck is not negotiable so...are we dreaming?
Raemerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
You will be at the top end of your towing capacity. If it was me, I would be looking at a full size 1/2 ton to pull that trailer. Others will disagree, some will agree, but after towing for over 20 years, I find it better to have extra margin for capacity and safety. Diesel vs gas is a personal decision. JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
2016 Canyon Diesel/International Serenity

Both those 25’ trailers have a heavy tongue weight. I would not do it with a canyon which is essentially a mid sized suv that happens to have some leaf springs as suspension on the rear axle.

Get a 1500 at a minimum, or look to a 23’ or smaller trailer. Tongue weight, receiver strength and reduction of payload is what matters... not “tow rating”.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Loaded your tongue weight will be approaching 900 to 1000lbs. This is especially true for the front bedroom since that is where most of the storage is. That will be your biggest issue. Is the pickup rated with a receiver weight of 1000lbs plus the WDH weight. In the rear bedroom you will be able to put your weight to the back and reduce some of the hitch weight, but you are still going to be close to 900lbs plus the WDH. You really need a receiver rated for at least 1200lbs.

You would be much better off with the 23’ if you don’t want a new TV. Most people will say trade the truck and by the AS you want.

You could probably get a used 1/2 ton. Of course it won’t be a diesel unless you get a Dodge Ecodiesel. But that tow rating is not much better than your Canyon. Personally I would look for a Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 L Hemi with a 3.92 axle rating. The 2019’s are really nice trucks and right now they have really good sales on them. It would easily pull a 25’ AS.

I tow a 28’ with an 2017 F150 Ecoboost. I did put a beefed up suspension system on it. And I tow with a propride hitch. But it has plenty of power. Rated to tow 11000lbs.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
No, even though the diesel improves tow capability by 10% over the V6 on paper, all the following information might be useful to you:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...do-201025.html
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:51 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hillsborough , New Jersey
I drive a 2016 GMC Canyon Diesel and we have a 2015 Airstream Eddie Bauer 25FB and it tows just fine! You will definitely need weight distribution and sway control. Don't be expecting to do any long hauls or speed racing and you should be just fine.
fogartjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Both those 25’ trailers have a heavy tongue weight. I would not do it with a canyon which is essentially a mid sized suv that happens to have some leaf springs as suspension on the rear axle.
Actually the Canyon/Colorado is much more capable a tow vehicle than the mid size SUV's, pretty close to the full size GMC SUV in real tow capability. I personally know I would not be comfortable towing a 25' AS though unless short tows and no mountains, and low speed.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Towing 25 with Canyon Oil Burner

First, change the receiver on your truck. It is not rated for using WD hitch. Etrailer can supply the proper Class IV receiver that your going to need if you choose to tow the 25' AS. It is an easy change and not that expensive.

Next up are replacement mirrors from "Clearview". They make a great towing mirror for the Canyon/Colorado. Your truck is narrow and your going to be towing an 8 1/2' wide trailer. The stock mirrors will not cut it. Cost is about $500.00 for the mirrors and worth it if you value your life and everybody driving on the road around you.

You will have very little if any extra payload capacity after you hook up to the 25'AS and have 2 people in the truck. If you do decide to get a 25'AS go straight to a CAT Scale and do a 3 pass weighing of your rig. Pay attention the rear axle weight.

My friend has a 2018 Colorado, extended cab, V6 gas, factory tow package with factory brake control. He tows a 2019 Lance model 1985. It does just OK. No great shakes.

We own a 2019 FC 25 RBT and I would not even think about towing it with anything less than a properly equipped 1/2 ton rated truck/van. We used to own a 2017 Int. Serenity 23D. My friend hooked his 2018 Colorado up to it once just to see how it felt to pull it. It was not a happy truck in the hills of western North Carolina. It worked its butt off going up some not so large hills.

The Canyon/Colorado trucks are really great trucks. But for a 25'AS it would be biting off all it can chew. Good luck with your decision and Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
IMHO the short answer is "NO". What you have is the tail wagging the dog!!!

The following link is the process we when through to make our decision - this is a simple suggestion - each of us is responsible for making the choices we make regarding a TV etc. Do the research without emotion attached to the out-come.

https://www.marriedwithairstream.com...-your-trailer/
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I don't recommend pulling anything that big with that truck. Maybe a Pop-up or Casita which will leave you some payload for ice chests and other gear in the truck.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
I don't recommend pulling anything that big with that truck. Maybe a Pop-up or Casita which will leave you some payload for ice chests and other gear in the truck.
Actually much more capable than that! We towed our 20FC all over Colorado at high altitude and our GMC Canyon performed very well indeed. That said, most if not all, agree that the 25FC would not be a good combination.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
Might work

I just started towing a 25ft, so i have limited experience. I first towed the trailer with an suv. It towed very well. I liked the set up.

One of the many Airstreams, we looked at was a 26u that was towed by a smaller suv. He said it is all in the hitch. I've forgotten the name of the place he went to for the hitch in eastern Canada for the hitch.

Full disclosure, my wife did not like the smaller tow vehicle. As the passenger, she thought the trailer wagged the tv and she did not like looking out the back and seeing the trailer right on the bumper so to speak.

I would try towing with a proper hitch first. Then decide your path or listen to your wife which ever is loudest.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Actually much more capable than that! We towed our 20FC all over Colorado at high altitude and our GMC Canyon performed very well indeed. That said, most if not all, agree that the 25FC would not be a good combination.
I'm also pulling a 20FB with a Colorado diesel and would definitely not pull anything heavier. On long steep mountain passes I lose speed.

The 23FB has a lighter tongue weight but I'd still worry about the overall weight.
posty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Actually the Canyon/Colorado is much more capable a tow vehicle than the mid size SUV's, pretty close to the full size GMC SUV in real tow capability. I personally know I would not be comfortable towing a 25' AS though unless short tows and no mountains, and low speed.

I was just comparing canyon to a mid sized suv based on GVWR....

GVWR of the canyon is 5,400-6,000 lbs. That is mid sized suv territory. GMC Acadia (mid sized suv) is 6,000 lbs GVWR as a comparable. Toyota 4Runner is 6,100-6,300 lbs GVWR.

A gmc 1500 has GVWR of 6,800-7,100 which is full size suv territory’s GMC Yukon (full size suv) is 7,100-7,300 GVWR is a comparable. Infiniti QX80 is 7,300-7,385 GVWR.

A 2500 has GVWR of 9,500 lbs +. No suv on the market today is comparable. This is a different class of heavy duty vehicle.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:08 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
I think your pushing it
77walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #16

Bashaw , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogartjj View Post
I drive a 2016 GMC Canyon Diesel and we have a 2015 Airstream Eddie Bauer 25FB and it tows just fine! You will definitely need weight distribution and sway control. Don't be expecting to do any long hauls or speed racing and you should be just fine.
Thank you for this - what do you consider a long haul? We’d definitely be putting miles on it but not 7 day 10 hour/day trips.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #17
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I will be a little more blunt now IMO Towing a 7,300lb GVWR trailer with a ~5,500-6,000 GVWR TV is simply not the best idea. Square peg, round hole. if it's all you got and your are adamant to make it work, OK, then cup your hands over your ears

That trailer is really too big for the tow vehicle. Downgrade the trailer or upgrade the tow vehicle. Listen to the advice of others in this thread who have "been there done that"

Camping and traveling should be fun and relaxing, not "at the limits" and stressful.

Yes you can do it, you could also drag a 25' along with a Honda Civic, but why have the stress especially with an $80k investment in the trailer?
Old 09-25-2019, 09:30 PM   #18

Bashaw , Alberta
Ty

Thank you to everyone for the responses and links to previous discussions. So far only a couple of people who have a Canyon diesel and tow an AS have responded so it’s hard to decipher the relative comparators.

Your collective advice is appreciated. Perhaps we’ll have to go with a smaller trailer which is fine. As an aside when one asks the same question on the truck forum the response is generally “get a different trailer” - here it’s get a different truck !
Old 09-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spruce , Michigan
Canyon Diesel pulling a 25 footer

An earlier post suggested you follow a thread from another poster about the towing capacity of the Canyon. I posted a comment on that thread as follows:

I had a 2017 Canyon Diesel and a 23FB with wd hitch. Towed the trailer without the wd hitch from Grand Rapids to northern Michigan just on the ball. Truck had plenty of pulling power but the empty trailer would have mild tendency to walk. My wife and I took it to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan to do a test run before a trip for 6 months starting in October. We found when we put water in the fresh water tank, she tracked straight behind the truck and we had plenty of horsepower to pull through any incline and the jake brake worked very well. As we were coming back on the three hour trip, my wife commented on the porposing (pushing from the rear when we traveled over unlevel road surfaces. It made her uneasy. Stopped and looked at some diesel 3/4 ton GMC’s and she said she would feel more comfortable going through the mountains and traveling across the southern US from October through April with a larger truck. Bottom line, great deals on 2019 3/4 tons in September and we ended up with a new 3/4 ton GMC diesel similar to the 2003 we used to have. Now pulling is without drama and there is no pushing from behind. The truck and trailer with the Canyon were closely matched in weight and in my opinion, having a beast pulling the trailer means that you never feel uneasy. Loved the Canyon and the fuel economy and size, but the 23 is right on the edge, in my opinion. Interesting, the milage with the big diesel pulling the trailer is very nearly the same as the Canyon due to the greater mass, torque and horsepower of the 3/4 ton as I see it. Hope this helps.

As I explained above, the Canyon is a great tow vehicle, I also added the extendable mirrors and airbags for towing with a wd hitch. The truck handled the 23FC just fine as far as power is concerned - it was the "pushing" or porpoising that we experienced with that trailer when traveling on uneven surfaces that caused concern in my wife and I giving us an uneasy feeling. I believe it was a function of similar weights of the truck and trailer that were at play and with the 3/4 ton truck, that issue went away. More money for sure, but well worth it in our minds. If you pull a 25 footer, I believe you will push the truck beyond reasonable limits and would be better served with a larger truck.
Bauerg is offline   Reply With Quote