Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
2015 RAM 1500 with Air Suspension:

I know this subject has been talked about before and I believe I've found the clarity I'm looking for but not 100% sure. I plan on using a 10K Equalizer WD Hitch System to tow my 2016 Flying Cloud 25RB. My truck has coil rear springs and Air Bag suspension system.
To install the hitch I need to lower the truck to its entry level position which means it's totally lowered down, next do the measuring and installation while in that position causing the WD hitch to be set up the way it's intended, balancing the weight on the rear axle of the truck & the front axle of the trailer. Once set up & connected bring the truck up to its driving position using the control button or just drive it & at 15 mph it will reset itself.
Whats got me somewhat confused is I've read somewhere on this forum that the air suspension system needs to be deactivated before this procedure is done, the problem being there is no way to deactivate it (at least on the 2015 model).
SO TELL ME, HAVE I GOT THIS RIGHT?
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We were told at the dealership the Ram factory air suspension has no coil springs.

With this system they said the air suspension leveling system will be disabled when selecting Tow/Haul mode, or when the trailer electrical cord is plugged into the truck.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
We were told at the dealership the Ram factory air suspension has no coil springs.

With this system they said the air suspension leveling system will be disabled when selecting Tow/Haul mode, or when the trailer electrical cord is plugged into the truck.

cheryl
Cheryl, I stand corrected on the coil springs, the air bag is sometimes referred to as the "Air Coil". Regarding the tow/hall mode, it is my understanding that the truck will not lower into the "AERO" mode if engaged or plugged in. Otherwise the truck will load level as normal. I was unable to find anything to the contrary!
Joe
Old 05-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
That's correct, no coils, front or rear.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
That's correct, no coils, front or rear.

Bold Adventure, I've followed some of your posts and you seem quite informed. What is your opinion regarding this Equalizer/RAM with air suspension set up. Specifically my initial post on this thread.
Thanks, Joe
Old 05-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
The owners manual (page 593) does recommend the use of a WD hitch for any trailer over 5K pounds.

with engine running
- put air suspension in "tire jack" mode
- connect trailer wiring harness
- EVIC should show trailer connected, if it doesn't your integrated brake controller is not going to function
- lower trailer onto hitch ball
- setup WD hitch and level
- once completed and all hooked up (including safety chains), truck can be driven
- once truck starts to drive, "tire jack" mode is automatically turned off and air suspension will resume normal operation; the exception being "aero mode" will not function while trailer is connected.

on p.612 the only real comment made about the air suspension and towing is:

To aid in attaching/detaching the trailer from the vehicle,
the air suspension system can be used. Refer to “Air
Suspension System” in “Starting And Operating” for
further information.
NOTE: The vehicle must remain in the engine running
position while attaching a trailer for proper leveling of
the air suspension system.

The idea is to "set up (measuring, etc)" your hitch with the air suspension off. Once the the initial set up is performed then you allow the air suspension to make any "small" corrections so that the air suspension is not doing ALL the work.

One thing to keep in mind, is the Ram air suspension is not the same as an aftermarket supplemental air bag system. A supplemental air bag system is supplementing the existing springs of the truck. In the Ram air-suspension there are no steel springs, just the air suspension.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I know this subject has been talked about before and I believe I've found the clarity I'm looking for but not 100% sure. I plan on using a 10K Equalizer WD Hitch System to tow my 2016 Flying Cloud 25RB. My truck has coil rear springs and Air Bag suspension system.
To install the hitch I need to lower the truck to its entry level position which means it's totally lowered down, next do the measuring and installation while in that position causing the WD hitch to be set up the way it's intended, balancing the weight on the rear axle of the truck & the front axle of the trailer. Once set up & connected bring the truck up to its driving position using the control button or just drive it & at 15 mph it will reset itself.
Whats got me somewhat confused is I've read somewhere on this forum that the air suspension system needs to be deactivated before this procedure is done, the problem being there is no way to deactivate it (at least on the 2015 model).
SO TELL ME, HAVE I GOT THIS RIGHT?
I have a 2015 RAM 1500. The manual that comes in the glove box does not have the instructions to do the initial setup with a WD hitch nor the connection procedure after setup. You can go to the RAM web site and download the 900 pager extended user manual and it gives you the specifics. I have included the instructions from the manual in this thread.

PS: your truck has to have a 'Jack' mode, which is required for hooking up to a WD hitch. You can not change a flat tire with out putting your air suspension in 'Jack' mode.

RAM Air Suspension & Hitch Adjustment.pdf

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Thanks Guys for your help, everything I've read & been told is in agreement with your comments. I now have enough knowledge to make sure the dealer does it the way I WANT IT DONE, not the way one of the Techs who may not have knowledge of the RAM air suspension system wants to do it. "Knowledge is Power", thanks again.
Joe
Old 05-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
chantal

1980 31' Excella II
boulder , Colorado
Do we need air suspension?

I've been reading this thread with interest. We have a 2015 Ram 1500 and will be towing a 1980 31' excella. Do we need to add air suspension to our Ram in order to tow effectively? What happens if we don't? What differences would we see with/without the air suspension added?

Apologies for the dumb question.

chantal
boulder, co
chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Air suspension is not something you add after the truck is built, it is an option specified as built. Air bags can be added, but are not at all the same thing.

That said, the vast majority of all tow vehicles made do not have air suspension and they tow just fine.

I like the air suspension on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it is not required for towing at all.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I concur with idorba, my past two trucks had standard suspension & did a fine job. Towing a 31ft might require a little more attention to sway control than anything else.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
With only a 25 footer, I would ball up and not worry.. Just how I feel about it.. The air springs system will balance out the load and ride and you should be just fine.. Like I have stated before,, I have seen 9 hitches set up totally wrong for every one I have seen set up right. Most are in such a bind it takes too much weight off the rear axle and the first thing you will notice is excessive rear tire ware,, Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
With only a 25 footer, I would ball up and not worry.. Just how I feel about it.. The air springs system will balance out the load and ride and you should be just fine.. Like I have stated before,, I have seen 9 hitches set up totally wrong for every one I have seen set up right. Most are in such a bind it takes too much weight off the rear axle and the first thing you will notice is excessive rear tire ware,, Sodbust
No way in hell will I do that! Been towing way to long to ship a WD hitch system.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
you are a funny guy........the tow hitches are only rated for 5k total trailer weight without equalizer.A 1500 with my 25footer and no equalizer would be a sad sight for sure
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags