Old 04-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
We tow a 25 flying cloud FB (heavy tongue weight with forward bed & storage) with a 2015 Yukon SRT which has the regular V8, heavy duty tow package and 4WD. It tows like a breeze. The Denali has the heftier engine which I suspect will handle the extra 5 feet just fine. Fully loaded there are no issues getting up to speed or with stopping distance. I did have Can Am set up the hitch for extra peace of mind.

When we were looking for a new tow vehicle I posted here and by the time everyone was done responding, I was wondering if a full fledged semi would actually be able to accomplish the task. Enjoy the new Denali. You'll love it!

Old 04-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Our 2011 FC 30' is listed at 8,800 lbs. We owned a 2008 2500 Suburban with a 4.10 rear end. It pulled our earlier 28' International just fine, but we found it struggled with the longer trailer, particularly out west. There were times we were climbing hills in 1st gear. It was not the plan, but we ended up trading for a 2500 HD Silverado Duramax. What an improvement!!

Old 04-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Lots of good input, folks. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwestman View Post
We tow a 25 flying cloud FB (heavy tongue weight with forward bed & storage) with a 2015 Yukon SRT which has the regular V8, heavy duty tow package and 4WD. It tows like a breeze. The Denali has the heftier engine which I suspect will handle the extra 5 feet just fine. Fully loaded there are no issues getting up to speed or with stopping distance. I did have Can Am set up the hitch for extra peace of mind.

When we were looking for a new tow vehicle I posted here and by the time everyone was done responding, I was wondering if a full fledged semi would actually be able to accomplish the task. Enjoy the new Denali. You'll love it!
J... it's funny how that often goes on forums... if the Denali with the larger 6.2L engine doesn't work out ok (and I'm pretty sure it will) there's always the Freightliner SportChassis option that should put most doubts to rest.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have always liked the looks of the classic long nose Peterbilt:

Model 389 Features & Specification | Peterbilt On Highway Trucks | Peterbilt Motors Company

Plenty of capacity to extend the frame for a Smart car crosswise on a platform to use when on location and can even have a spare bedroom for guests, too.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
After a year and a half of 'trying to 'make it work', I sold my 2014 Yukon Denali last week and purchased a new Sierra SLT with GM's maximum tow package to tow my 2015 27' Serenity. Towing capacity increased to 11,000 lbs and weigh capacity increased to 9400 lbs. I spent 3 months tinkering with the hitch setup on Yukon to get it 'just right' and after retuning from our first trip of the year a few weeks ago, I realized that short wheelbase Yukon just wasn't the TV I needed. The setup on the Sierra has been a breeze and so far my test tows have been everything I hoped for. Not trying to sell anyone on the idea that a pickup is the only way to go, but for me it has so far relieved a lot of my post accident anxiety.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
After a year and a half of 'trying to 'make it work', I sold my 2014 Yukon Denali last week and purchased a new Sierra SLT with GM's maximum tow package to tow my 2015 27' Serenity. Towing capacity increased to 11,000 lbs and weigh capacity increased to 9400 lbs. I spent 3 months tinkering with the hitch setup on Yukon to get it 'just right' and after retuning from our first trip of the year a few weeks ago, I realized that short wheelbase Yukon just wasn't the TV I needed. The setup on the Sierra has been a breeze and so far my test tows have been everything I hoped for. Not trying to sell anyone on the idea that a pickup is the only way to go, but for me it has so far relieved a lot of my post accident anxiety.

Pat, did you have an accident due to towing the AS with the Yukon?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
My accident was not initially caused because I was towing with a Yukon. I was hit in the left rear of the trailer by a texting motorist. The motorist lost control, crossed over to the inside lane, tried to regain control, came back across 2 lanes of the highway and broadsided me in my driver door. This put us in a 360 off the side of hwy., flipping the Airstream. To this day, I wonder if I had been towing with something other than the Yukon, would I have maybe been able to regain control of the TV and TT when I was initially struck, thus possible avoiding being hit again. Once one goes through something like this you end up second guessing everything you ever did up to the point of the accident. The decision to purchase another Airstream was not an easy ones to make. Since we decided to give it another shot, I wanted to make sure that I have addressed all my 'second guesses'. At the moment, I am contemplating replacing the Blue Ox hitch with a Propride. I'll make that decision after my next trip.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have decided that the margin for error with the Yukon Denali is a little close for total comfort. We're going to switch to the 2015 Denali 2500HD with Duramax engine. Along these lines:

Gives us a little better margin of safety and still pretty comfortable for a TV.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
That was precisely our final conclusion a couple of years ago when we acquired our 28 ft Classic. We got tired of trying to analyze how close we were to the edge of our Yukon's capabilities and moved to the Denali 2500 diesel. It is great not having to worry about those issues anymore.