Old 05-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
Duck Alum(inum)
2008 19' International
Eugene , Oregon
Question 2014 VW Taureg towing a 19' International

I have a 2014 VW Taureg towing a 19' International. First question: do I need an anti-sway device?

The car has a factory hitch, but it's not a weight distributing hitch. The VW owners manual recommends against installing a weight distribution hitch. Are any Taureg owners out there installing weight distribution hitches anyway? If so, what brand?

Add on question: if I can't install a weight distribution hitch, what are my best options for an anti-sway device? I'd love one that doesn't require disconnecting before backing up.

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks.

kevinmlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio

First off, great choice of TV, the Touareg is a very capable TV.

Check this post for lots of good info. Have a read and post any questions there.

For the 19 at about 550lbs tongue weight you could probably just tow on the ball, however, a WD hitch will almost certainly improve the towing experience significantly. With a properly set up arrangement, you would hardly know it was back there. Adding sway control will add a margin a safety also.

I'd go with one of these . This is a WD hitch with a friction sway control unit. The 800b bars should be fine. You can also get WD hitches with other types of sway control, some built into the WD assembly. Take browse of the "Hitches, Couplers and balls" forum here for more info than you could possibly read.

There will be many, many opinions on WD hitch selection and sway control choices. Brace yourself...

Attached is a picture of the setup I used for my 27FB for a while with an Eaz-lift and 2 husky friction sway control units. It worked very well. I now use a ProPride but that would be overkill for what you are towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105_2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	239399  
2015 27FB International Signature "Danielle"
ProPride / 16" wheels / 600W solar / 864 AHr Lithium
Victron MultiPlus Inverter / BlueSolar / ColorControlGX / BMV 702
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote

19' international