Old 03-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Originally Posted by allenkelley View Post
I'm looking for any insight/advice on towing a 20' Flying Cloud with a 2014 Toyota 4Runner. The 20' has a dry weight of 4271 lbs and GVW of 5000 lbs. The 4Runner is rated to tow 4700 lbs w/270HP and 278 ft lbs of torque. Thanks!
Ours is a 2006 23' Safari. I think they are narrower than the Flying Cloud, definitely lighter. Unless you are looking at buying new, there are other AS that would fit within your capacity. We found a 25' 1996 wide body Flying Cloud we really liked but it was just above what I could tow. We kept looking and found the 23' we have now and we're very happy with it.

So keep looking, consider another model. I'm sure you'd rather not have the TV limits worrying you every time you get on the road Go to the AS site and you can find the weights of all the AS models, old and new. When you see an ad for one you like, check the specifications to determine if you are comfortable with towing it.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How Often, How Far, Over what Terrain

Airstreams are designed to be towed - to move on down that road.

If you are mobile & full timing primarily in the Rocky Mountain states- then go over the top - get a big honkin' 3/4 ton truck (or equivalent). 4WD & Diesel are great. The brakes and suspension and cooling are really robust and sooner or later you'll really need that stuff.

If you're out six to twelve weekends in the summer - or take it to the lake for 8 weeks, and to the mountains for 6 - then home for the winter... and your favorite destinations are within 100 miles of home... well what do you really NEED for that? You're not going to grossly shorten the life of your "tow" vehicle if you tow over relatively flat terrain now and then.

With a lower rated tow vehicle you will need to keep your speed modest as you don't have overkill on the braking capacity of the tow vehicle. You might want to limit your towing to off peak traffic hours as you can seriously p*** off anyone on the road if you're going 20 mph less than the "flow" - even if you are going the speed limit. Keep your vehicle well maintained as you've got no margin for error - keep yourself the same way!

Happy Saturday, Paula

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
The 2014 4Runner is not capable of weight distribution towing. I wouldn't tow any airstream with it. Just look at the hitch receiver ... (4) 1/2" bolts connecting a small 2" receiver to a crossbar that is minimally connected to the frame rails. Toyota also deleted all references to "weight distribution towing" in the 2014 owners manual.

If you want to tow with a 4Runner, get an older V8 4th generation version with a real tow package designed for weight distribution towing.

I'm not saying it can't be done ... hundreds of people on this forum tow with 5th generation 4Runners and don't have any issues. And for whatever confusing reason, the 2012 & 2013 owners manuals do mention weight distribution in the towing section. But that weak receiver can be easily bent with a stiff weight distributing hitch. And with any heavy trailer ... 20' and greater, you are putting yourself, passengers, and others on the road at risk.
norcal bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
2014 Toyota 4Runner/Flying Cloud 20'

Interesting info on the 4runner hitch. Do you happen to know if the Highlander hitch suffers from similar limitations? A member of my extended family tows a large white box trailer with their Highlander V6 in combination with WD and I've always been curious why the Highlander is "rated" higher than a 4runner.

Edit: I was viewing the Timeline...just saw the other thread about Highlander.

- Cory -
'15 Classic
'16 Ram 2500HD CTD 4x4 Limited w/ Air and Ramboxes
Instagram: cory_can
cory_can is online now   Reply With Quote