Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hi Eric, we have another member here (VernDiesel) with an EcoDiesel, many miles delivering Airstreams for a living. Has some great insight on this truck, including using an after market tune. You may want to search his posts for good info.

We have also considered the aftermarket tune for the enhanced turbo brake function. We already have this exhaust braking function with the stock factory tune, the ECM controls and closes the opening of the turbo vanes to create exhaust back pressure. The tune closes them a little more.

There is no switch, it's activated either by engaging cruise control and setting the speed you wish to hold, or engaging Tow/Haul Mode and stepping on the brake to get down to the speed you want to hold. On the really steep grades with a large trailer in tow it will need assistance from our truck and trailer service brakes because the turbo vanes do not close off completely, some exhaust back pressure is released.

It's like a lot of things with a good tow vehicle, learn what it can do with experience, operate it within those parameters, and it performs beautifully for you. Take the advice of the internet Google experts with a grain of salt.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
None of our Ecodiesels come from the factory with an exhaust brake in the stock tune. But they do use the transmission and grade shifting to help maintain speed when descending a grade. There are multiple tunes out the that program exhaust braking in. One thing to note though is they can cause your truck to run hotter while pulling that grade.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I've been there done that.....pulled my 25' AS with a 2015 RAM Laramie Limited 4x4 ecodiesel across the Rocky Mountains. 10,120 mile trip lasting 10 weeks this past summer. The results!! Great mpg 16.2, easy towing for the whole trip, we also use an Equilazer WDH. My truck had air bag suspension which helped in the payload area as the 850lb payload was very low & I was over "budget" on payload. Climbing 6&7 % grades was ok as long as I keep the speed around 45mph otherwise I would overheat. Very capable truck but, yes but, it is more for economy & flat towing rather than mountain climbing. I had the ecodiesel for just short of 2 Years & 37k miles total before trading, it served me well.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Joe, help us on your experience determining whether the stock EcoDiesel tune utilizes the turbo vanes for brake assist. Realizing of course it cannot be compared to the separate exhaust brake valve on the Cummins for effectiveness.

Towing through New Mexico mountains last week I noticed much stronger engine/transmission barking if the cruise control was engaged, or with Tow/Haul engaged and setting a speed with the truck service brake.

Are we getting some turbo vane activation in these modes, using exhaust back pressure to help slow the vehicle? Or is it just downshifting and engine compression working together?

The GDE tune folks call their turbo brake tune an "enhanced" turbo brake, which indicates (vaguely) they are increasing a function that is already in place.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
The Cummins in the 2500-3500 use the vgt turbo just like the tuners do to our Ecodiesels.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Joe, help us on your experience determining whether the stock EcoDiesel tune utilizes the turbo vanes for brake assist. Realizing of course it cannot be compared to the separate exhaust brake valve on the Cummins for effectiveness.

Towing through New Mexico mountains last week I noticed much stronger engine/transmission barking if the cruise control was engaged, or with Tow/Haul engaged and setting a speed with the truck service brake.

Are we getting some turbo vane activation in these modes, using exhaust back pressure to help slow the vehicle? Or is it just downshifting and engine compression working together?

The GDE tune folks call their turbo brake tune an "enhanced" turbo brake, which indicates (vaguely) they are increasing a function that is already in place.

From my experience & what I've researched.........down hill assist only works during the tow/haul mode, tapping the brake initiates it on the decline. My RAM had the 8 speed tranny which in some respects made that feature somewhat mute as going from 8,7 or 6th gear did not do much in the way of slowing you down on a steep grade so using the manual + - was necessary. My Nissan Titan/Cummins has a 6 speed so in tow mode the downshift in much more significant. With the ecodiesel I had some white nukle moments in the Denver area on 15, 16 mile hill declines. Engine brake is the best but hill decline works well but no so good on a 8 speed tranny.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We had good towing experiences with our Ram 1500 Hemi and that led us to the EcoDiesel. One thing I wished for pulling and braking in the western mountains was lower axle gearing than our 3.55 with the Hemi.

We shopped for the 3.92 axles near home in Minnesota but it was very rare to find it on the lot. Early this year we shopped in Tucson, AZ and it was quite the opposite. So we bought one in Tucson and are pleased with its pulling and braking. We're still learning what she can do in the mountains, it looks promising. We add service brakes as needed and that has been working very well.

For those shopping the EcoDiesel (or gas Hemi) as a tow vehicle, you would like the 3.92 axle option.

Tags