Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
2014 Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel

Why all the second guessing jeep engineers. The engine still operates within design specs. It runs hotter, but so do gas engines these days. That's how they get the improved mpg. 2012fb's comments are only personal opinion.

Why post that you purchased a MB in the jeep thread?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
. . . Why post that you purchased a MB in the jeep thread?
Because he was the original poster who started this thread on January 25, 2014 with the observation that the 2014 Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel Jeep he took for a test drive overheated going uphill. I appreciate his most recent post describing how he resolved that issue --by avoiding the jeep and purchasing a Mercedes that performed well for him. Too many threads in this Forum raise a problem and ask others for helpful advice, but never reveal the ultimate solution. For me its great to see a thread close that circle.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Because he was the original poster who started this thread on January 25, 2014 with the observation that the 2014 Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel Jeep he took for a test drive overheated going uphill. I appreciate his most recent post describing how he resolved that issue --by avoiding the jeep and purchasing a Mercedes that performed well for him. Too many threads in this Forum raise a problem and ask others for helpful advice, but never reveal the ultimate solution. For me its great to see a thread close that circle.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
Why all the second guessing jeep engineers. The engine still operates within design specs. It runs hotter, but so do gas engines these days. That's how they get the improved mpg. 2012fb's comments are only personal opinion.
There is no second guessing. My "comments" started off with direct observed feedback and documented responses from the general manager of the Jeep dealer.

Normal operating temperature (92 C for mine) is one thing but pulling a extended grade with my bone dry unloaded 25' AS (< 6,000) in 35 F outside temp watching the GC temp gage hit red within a very short period of time and slowing down to 40mph at the top of the pass is well outside the normal operating temp as designed. Period! I take that back, as previously mentioned it may well be as designed, a calculated 98% good one! It is the other 2% that tow heavy who are suspect in this discussion.

Why would I or anyone else purchase a TV that needed to be constantly monitored for potential overheating.

I am not bashing Jeep. It was my first choice and I am honestly very disappointed that it did not perform as advertised. My last 8 or so TVs were Jeep, Ford and GMC.

With that said I hope that my "comments" taken from what ever view point you desire and with a grain of salt will potentially help others from being disappointed with a TV purchase as I have in the past or at a minimum you will have been informed.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #185
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Higher oil temps are a fact nowadays. The 367 Peterbilt I drive at work hits 240F+ on steep climbs at 76k gross and dropping two or more gears. This is normal. Ordinary 15W-40 oil, not synthetic. The comparison is far afield, but oil temps on ALL vehilces are higher for both emissions and fuel economy reasons.

These GC diesels are not towing constantly. That would be a different set of demands. Vacationers who otherwise have a good solo vehicle are in the right ballpark if this vehicle fits.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #186
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Higher oil temps are a fact nowadays. The 367 Peterbilt I drive at work hits 240F+ on steep climbs at 76k gross and dropping two or more gears. This is normal. Ordinary 15W-40 oil, not synthetic. The comparison is far afield, but oil temps on ALL vehilces are higher for both emissions and fuel economy reasons.

These GC diesels are not towing constantly. That would be a different set of demands. Vacationers who otherwise have a good solo vehicle are in the right ballpark if this vehicle fits.
In those situations, what is the water temp ??

I would be more concerned with high water temps than high oil temps. Aluminum engines ( in these consumer level vehicles ) don't tolerate high cooling system temp very well from what I have seen.

High oil temps are no problem at all for synthetic, and even 240 is no big deal for non-synthetic.

EDIT: those are all iron engines in your 367, correct ?
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #187
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I buy my Mobile1 ESP oil at my local Mercedes Benz dealer for $6.75 / quart. Jeep and Pep Boys charge $10.00 - $12.00 / quart.

I also wonder if the high oil temps are related to the lower volume of oil in the new ecodiesel? My '07 has a Mercedes Benz diesel that holds 10 quarts of Mobil1 ESP. Someone earlier reported that the new Fiat diesel oil capacity was 8 quarts.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One of the reasons I retrofitted auxiliary oil filters on both the automatic transmission and the Cummins diesel engine in my 2012 Dodge 2500HD was the additional fluid cooling provided by the plumbing and stand alone frame mounted oil filter housings. I also added larger differential covers that hold an additional quart of lube oil and have cooling vanes on the housing. Keeping the lubrication fluids at a reasonable temperature keeps them from breaking down sooner and they do a better job of lubrication.

In my opinion, the Jeep going to red line cooling water temperature in relatively cool weather is a serious matter because summer heat in the desert SouthWest is less forgiving of poor cooling design.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
GC Eco Diesel and Rear View Camera

[QUOTE=terryg;1449043]I now have close to 15,000 miles on my Ecodiesel. I've consolidated some information I posted in other threads/forums for easier viewing.

Excellent report, Terry;

We're back on the road with our GC EcoDiesel and FC23FB, after four months aboard our sailboat, and hammered I-10 in 90º ambient through FL, AL and MS en route back to CO. No steep grades yet, but oil and trans temps hold right where they should be, just as on the way down from CO in March. I did have an issue with warped brake rotors after 5000 mi, which were replaced under warranty. At the same time the dealer in St Petersburg FL did a dozen or so software updates. Fuel consumption has been a bit higher on this leg, avg mpg on I-10 at 65mph was 17.6. I look forward to driving slower on more enjoyable roads, but we're making miles to return home.

Rear View Camera:
I added a wireless rear view camera system from Rear View Safety and really like seeing what is right behind me! I did a quick parking lot installation, using 3M VHB tape to attach the camera below the Airstream rear window such that the antenna can 'see' the monitor through the rear and front windows of the Airstream. My first trial was with the camera high above the window, but the wireless signal was dampened by the aluminum shell. Powered the camera via the license plate light, so that with running lights on I have full time rear vision. I'll tidy up the installation up at home, but think that this positioning at a height almost equal to that of the car rear view mirror will be just fine.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #190
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I just returned from a 5200 mile trip Cleveland, OH to LA. No trailer on the way out and I drove above the speed limits. I got 25.1 mpg on the computer. With only 1 issue. It seems that when I fill up fuel leaks under the GC, it seems to be coming out an overflow.

After picking up our 25 international, the fuel mpg dropped to 16.1. I did have the same overheating issue that others have reported. If I had not back off and turned the AC off I'm sure I would have overheated. The engine and trans ran great and felt great. But, on the first hill the temp started to climb right up to the reline. Trans and oil temps were within normal ranges but ran 10/15 degrees hotter. This was with 90-109 air temp.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
The overheating did not occur on any lower hills out East. Only out West in the thin air.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
It seems to me like the radiator and fan system was not designed with enough heat dissipation capacity for a diesel engine operating in the mountains of the US Southwest in summer temperatures over 105 degrees and towing at near capacity. I wonder if they are using an existing gasoline engine radiator system to cut costs?

While Europe has the mountains, they lack the extreme high temperatures of the SouthWest. Hopefully the cooling system design design was not just paper whipped rather than real world testing.

If enough folks have these high temperature issues when towing a trailer within the published tow specifications for the vehicle, then a recall would be appropriate to install more appropriate cooling equipment.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 06-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Tow ratings for this SUV should be revised as well.
It appears to run fine until you start towing something heavy under certain conditions.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #194
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
If enough folks have these high temperature issues when towing a trailer within the published tow specifications for the vehicle, then a recall would be appropriate to install more appropriate cooling equipment.
The only way that will happen is if they are replacing overheated engines under warranty.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #195
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Are they really overheating or the temperatures just higher than what we expect them to be. Anybody hear of one stopping or burning up ? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I truly believe that my GC would have overheated if I had not reduced my speed and shut off the AC. I didn't want to strand myself testing it.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
That is just the point made in the post above that reflects European use this Italian diesel in much cooler air than our SouthWest. Also, they build their caravans very cheaply (not reflected in the prices though) and they are much lighter than our equipment and have much smaller profiles.

Thus the engine in most European vehicles is not under the loads we subject them to over here.

This is probably best considered a light duty diesel motor as compared to the medium duty rating in most of the big 3 ¾ ton diesel pickups. It could be great for a popup camper, hauling the trash to the dump or commuting to work.

At least the ½ ton market pickup is finally getting pushed into the diesel world.

When the Japanese trucks implement the v8 Cummins, I expect the Dodge ½ ton diesel market to tank as folks see what happens with an American designed diesel motor for the America market takes to the streets towing our designed trailers and weights.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #198
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Still somewhere someone must have overheated one of these if it is a problem.. I agree, I would not want to be the first. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #199
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I see that the Grand Cherokee is rated to tow 3500 kg/7700 lbs in Europe, with either the same diesel or a smaller 188 hp diesel. Don't agree that the Europeans are not making this engine work.

I'd agree the VM is a lighter duty (automotive) diesel, but I would put the Cummins B engines (B, or ISB) in the same category. Other medium duty engines from Cummins are derated relative to the pickup version in this displacement, and medium/heavy duty diesel engines have cylinder liners, among other things.

I have a suspicion that these modern engines are just running hotter, by design, than we are used to from decades ago.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

While Europe has the mountains, they lack the extreme high temperatures of the SouthWest.
Italy, South of France, Spain, Portugal and a whole bunch of other countries would beg to differ.

I've taken a truck across the Pyrenees in 110º summer heat. It gets hot there as well.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote