Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2014, 01:24 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
2014 Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel

[QUOTE=2012FB;1418240]This was a consideration when comparing the ML350 to the Touareg as the GC is completely out of the picture."

Please start a MB thread and leave this one to the Jeep GC as per the header.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 AM   #102
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yes, we want Jeep info please. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Having owned a Diesel Touareg & now a 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee (that I don't tow with but still...) - I would feel the new diesel Grand Cherokee can do anything the Touareg can do, if not even better in some aspects....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Another consideration for the long run in selecting any TV:

J.D. Power & Associates annual vehicle dependability study for 2014 has the MB #2 behind Lexus. Jeep is 4th from the bottom. VW is also well below the medium.

Really? This Is America's Most Dependable Automotive Brand? (GM, HMC, TM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Why does a GL 350 have a 50k powertrain warranty and a GC have a 100k warranty?
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Read the dependability reviews closely....

On some of these "lower scoring" vehicles, the lower score at times was result of Nav\Stereo software, squeaks with full length sunroofs, failure of lumbar support, all issues easily fixed and "minor annoyances". Some of the vehicles had less issues but of a more catastrophic nature, these vehicles "appear" better because they have higher scores due to lower incidence of issues, but the issues were pretty substantial such as "failed coils, radiators, transmissions, etc".
Old 02-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Read the dependability reviews closely....

On some of these "lower scoring" vehicles, the lower score at times was result of Nav\Stereo software, squeaks with full length sunroofs, failure of lumbar support, all issues easily fixed and "minor annoyances". Some of the vehicles had less issues but of a more catastrophic nature, these vehicles "appear" better because they have higher scores due to lower incidence of issues, but the issues were pretty substantial such as "failed coils, radiators, transmissions, etc".
I was disappointed when I found out how they rate the vehicles. As you correctly pointed out not all failures are created equal . I think Consumer Reports, though not perfect, is the best.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I was contacted by another Jeep dealer following up on my inquiry on the GC and had a nice conversation. Per his request I have sent all the information pertaining to the issues with the GC EcoDiesel including the email exchange with the first dealer with the expectation that I might actually hear something back from a Jeep/Chrysler representative. I will post follow up if I do.

When I bought the first out of the gate 6.0 Powerstroke it did not mater to me what it was in the shop for. After nearly 3 months total in the shop out of 18 (injectors, injectors again, various sensors, rear block/galley freeze plug leak, rear vent motor, seat heater, EGR failure, AC leak etc.) Ford bought it back. The saving issue for me was they could not solve why it would not run on cold start at altitude. The replacement was by far a better but not perfect truck. I would probably still have it if not for being totaled by an underage non-licensed driver who was given the keys by his mom on a snow packed accident alert valentines night date with my daughter.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
2014 Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
Another consideration for the long run in selecting any TV:

J.D. Power & Associates annual vehicle dependability study for 2014 has the MB #2 behind Lexus. Jeep is 4th from the bottom. VW is also well below the medium.

Really? This Is America's Most Dependable Automotive Brand? (GM, HMC, TM)

The 2014 report is for 2011 vehicles. Interestingly, the three disabling problems that I experienced with my 2008 Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 Mercedes Diesel were all in the engine. I wonder how JD Powers would score that?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
This year, Consumer Reports.....

Yahoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
I think Consumer Reports, though not perfect, is the best.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
It would be nice to hear from someone who actually owns the Eco diesel and has towed with it.
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I have a 2007 Jeep GC diesel with 133,000 miles and it is a great tow vehicle for our 24' Trade Wind. I use an Equal-i-zer hitch. More than half of those miles are towing.

I am interested in hearing more about the potential overheating problems with the 2014 Jeep Eco Diesel. This is the only issue preventing me from trading my 2007 with a Mercedes diesel for a 2014 with a Fiat diesel.

The only other hindrance to buying the 2014 Jeep GC is the styling. Jeep has "upgraded" the styling so it looks less like a Jeep and more like every other SUV on the market. Car styling has become boring. Thank God Porsches still look like Porsches.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
First Tow with our 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel

We're finally on the road with our new Grand Cherokee! Day one of a 2000 mile tow to our sailboat in FL was low mileage, after a busy day recommissioning our FC23FB from winter storage in Albuquerque, a toilet valve replacement at Holiday Travel Trailers, and provisioning at Trader Joe's. Still, the 152 miles to Sumner Lake SP gave a good feel for the abilities of the GC.

BTW, Sumner Lake SP (NM) offers a fine CG only 6 miles off US 84. Spacious, groomed gravel pads, great views of the lake, water and electricity for $14/night.

Note: This is simply a report on our 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel Overland with the Technology and Offroad packages. I can only compare to towing our unit with our 2008 GC (Mercedes) Diesel. I make no comparisons to any other vehicle, and really don't want to initiate a debate. We're all biased toward our tow vehicles.

Setting up the Equalizer WD Hitch was straightforward using the 'lock out the air suspension and measure at the wheel wells' method. The unit towed very smoothly. The Quadra Lift Air Suspension & Equalizer handles road dips at any speed noticeably better than the 08 GC. The Equalizer prevented sway very effectively on the 08, and with this 5" longer wheelbase and same short overhang the 2014 tows even better. The 3.0 L Fiat diesel with 8 speed trans never seemed to work hard, merely dropping to sixth or fifth gear on the long climbs E out of ABQ on I-40 that slows 18 wheelers down to 50 mph. Of course this is no Wolf Creek Pass in August, but Oil and Trans temps remained right where they should be at 80º outside temperature.

Towing our 5673 lb trailer (I travel with full fresh water, and the GC was heavily loaded with boat gear), we averaged 21.0 mpg for the tow with the cruise control at 65 mph. In comparison, on the trip down from Durango without the Airstream, the average was 31.8 mpg at 65 mph with a heavy cargo load and the added aero drag of towing mirrors and a fully loaded Thule rooftop cargo box. Not bad at all.

Day two was a different story. John Steinbeck, in 'Travels With Charile' wrote "When I started this narrative, I knew that sooner or later I would have to have a go at Texas, and I dreaded it." Now, I wish not to offend any Texan - I held temporary citizenship in Texas for 15 years, and was stopping therein to visit my sister - but NW Texas is not on my list of scenic drives. We decided to press on through, and drove through the night to Clear Lake, south of Houston. This 732 miles yielded an average of only 16.4 mpg. A 20-30 knot headwind off the starboard bow didn't help. I dodged tumbleweeds the size of Volkswagens. It is said that Gentlemen Don't Sail to Windward, but drivers have little choice. Normally, I prefer to tow at 60 mph, but the Texas Dept. of Disregard For Public Safety has decreed a 75 mph speed limit on two lane highways such as US 84, and on a Saturday night in W Texas I had no wish to have a pickup implanted in the rear of the Airstream. I drove fast and suffered the mpg penalty.

Mardi Gras will see us continuing eastward, and I trust that flat I-10 will yield better mpg, as well as some good crawfish etouffee and maybe even a stop for "Throw Me Something, Mister".
Old 03-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Pictures, post some pictures!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #114

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
~~
Day two was a different story. John Steinbeck, in 'Travels With Charile' wrote "When I started this narrative, I knew that sooner or later I would have to have a go at Texas, and I dreaded it." Now, I wish not to offend any Texan - I held temporary citizenship in Texas for 15 years, and was stopping therein to visit my sister - but NW Texas is not on my list of scenic drives. We decided to press on through, and drove through the night to Clear Lake, south of Houston. This 732 miles yielded an average of only 16.4 mpg. A 20-30 knot headwind off the starboard bow didn't help. I dodged tumbleweeds the size of Volkswagens. It is said that Gentlemen Don't Sail to Windward, but drivers have little choice. Normally, I prefer to tow at 60 mph, but the Texas Dept. of Disregard For Public Safety has decreed a 75 mph speed limit on two lane highways such as US 84, and on a Saturday night in W Texas I had no wish to have a pickup implanted in the rear of the Airstream. I drove fast and suffered the mpg penalty.
~~
Well, you can hardly fault the GC for 16 mpg under THOSE conditions. Assuming the headwind was coming at a 45-degree angle, and you were going "only" 70 in a 75, your airspeed was on the order of 85 mph. 16 mpg is a fine result I'd say! I'd be happy with 10 under similar conditions in my truck (and under similar conditions in the past I've WISHED for 10.)

If you were holding 60 mph climbing up out of ABQ with no problems, it lends credence to the idea that the unit 2012FB had such poor results with was traded in at 600 miles for a reason other than a fickle buyer. You reported air temps 25 degrees higher than he did when that traded-in Jeep was unable to handle grades, too.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:17 AM   #115
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Thanks for the update, JamuJoe. We just picked up our 2014 JGC Limited EcoDiesel on Saturday. Love driving it so far, but haven't readied it to tow yet. Has the tow package, but we have to take it to our AS dealer and have everything else made ready. So ready for the Spring!
Dot Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
"Can we go too?" Thanks for that post! I'm waiting for some snow to melt so we can find our streets again before bringing home a new Jeep. A quick question: How do you like the seats? I have a loaded '06 with the worst seats on the planet. 2 hours on the road and my tailbone is screaming at me. Please keep the reports coming on your trip. Those of us who are snow bound can vicariously ride along.
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
All this talk of towing with these GC's has me thinking I might have to pull off my hitch cover on my '14 Grand Cherokee and use some of that 470lbs torque of American V-8 muscle & go tow something!

BTW - where are the pics?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Photo of GC & Airstream

Here's the rig at dawn camped at Sumner Lake SP in New Mexico.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JalanJalan & GC.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	206841  
Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
GC Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwestman View Post
"Can we go too?" Thanks for that post! I'm waiting for some snow to melt so we can find our streets again before bringing home a new Jeep. A quick question: How do you like the seats? I have a loaded '06 with the worst seats on the planet. 2 hours on the road and my tailbone is screaming at me. Please keep the reports coming on your trip. Those of us who are snow bound can vicariously ride along.

For us the seats are fine and comfortable. Good firm support, adjustable lumbar, two stage heating (a big plus). The overnight marathon of leg two and a 10 hour drive yesterday left us in remarkably good shape for a pair of 60+ backs.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thumbs up Leg Three: Clear Lake to Gautier: 432 miles

Miserable weather on Mardi Gras!. No parades for us, save for the slow crawl among the 18 wheelers on I-10. Leg three of our first tow with our new Grand Cherokee Diesel from Clear Lake, TX to Gautier, MS was a hard slog through freezing rain, icy bridges and very heavy traffic. Numerous stops and crawls on I-10 between Beaumont and Baton Rouge due to wrecks and traffic jams resulted in an average mpg of 17.0 for the 432 mile leg.

My tires were also a bit soft, having failed to remember to add air after the descent from 7400 to sea level. (The driver was too soft to get out in the freezing rain to add two psi all around.) I added a TST TPMS (507 external sensors) to the trailer for this trip, and it is working well. Accuracy seems to be 2-3 psi at 50 psi. Tire temps never got above 38º on this leg. No need for a booster with the display sitting on the console in front of the shifter.

The polite voice on the Sirius Sat Radio was relentless in alerting us to traffic jams ahead. I-12 was a bit cleaner, and were were able to cruise at 60 mph and realize 20-21 mpg. Here I'm going by the computer, I haven't yet calibrated it for accuracy by mileage at fillups - with 400 mile range they aren't so frequent. The computer is so responsive that I can observe the effect of drafting as the big trucks pass. No sway whatsoever, though, the unit towed beautifully. I pulled in after dark into the flooded muddy side yard of my brother's beach house in Gautier, with no worries about pulling out again - that's one reason I have a GC.