Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #81
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Yes. Hitch mods by Can Am. I also put heavy duty Bilstein shocks on it in Sept when the originals no longer did their job. As for the rest of your question, sometimes. Jim
Thanks for the update Jim. These metrics are critical for deciding what size Airstream others want to tow with their GC.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I never heard back from the Jeep sales manager and would never consider contacting them again or any Jeep dealer for that matter. I am blown away that fuel is there one and only response to the tow issues knowing that I was reporting my experience/problems on the forums.

After talking with Andy at Can-Am for a considerable amount of time I decided on the ML350 and will be driving it up to have the hitch reinforced, brake control installed and have the receiver completely setup per his recommendations. When discussing all the options he was not keen on the Jeep air suspension. His first choice was the Cayenne, Touareg, ML350 and then the Jeep. I was leaning toward the Touareg but my wife liked the ML350 and she will be driving it 95% of the time. The other issue with the Touareg was the adamant response from both corporate and the dealer prohibiting the use of an WDH/Equalizer. The MB does not. I know with the same reinforcement from Can-Am on the Touareg it would work well but just not comfortable with liability when it is in writing not to use the WDH.

I got the ML350 for 11.7% off list at 3.49% interest. So this puts the MB within a few thousand dollars of the Jeep in Overland trim. So an easy decision for me other than the drive from Denver to Can-Am and back.

Best of wishes!!
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #83

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'm sure you'll be happy with the ML in general. When it comes time to buy another tow vehicle years down the road, I wouldn't write off every Jeep dealer because one dealership has a bad sales manager, though.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Hi hazelgreen,
I towed my 97 25' Safari 100,000 k with my 2008 Jeep GC 3L CRD diesel. I have towed my 2012 30' International 50,000 k with the same Jeep that now has 330,000k on it. My new one will be in next week. This one goes to my son who will put on 2 or 300,000 k before it turns into a piece of junk. I believe the 2014 Jeeps are better than the 2008 Jeeps. You do not have to get a smaller Airstream if you buy a Jeep. Jim

Jim,
I agree, the 08 GC CRD is a fine tow vehicle, I was reluctant to part with mine until my son decided to buy it. Now I won't have to loan him my new GC when he borrows the Airstream

I expect that you will be as happy as I am with the new diesel. The vehicle is superior in so many ways!

BTW: I negotiated the order based upon cash purchase, and when it came time for delivery, the salesman said "would you like to take the 0% financing?" Icing on the cake!

Safe Travels,
Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Jim,
I agree, the 08 GC CRD is a fine tow vehicle, I was reluctant to part with mine until my son decided to buy it. Now I won't have to loan him my new GC when he borrows the Airstream

I expect that you will be as happy as I am with the new diesel. The vehicle is superior in so many ways!

BTW: I negotiated the order based upon cash purchase, and when it came time for delivery, the salesman said "would you like to take the 0% financing?" Icing on the cake!

Safe Travels,
Joe

My son in Fort Lauderdale will also end up with the 2008 GC but in my case, it is a gift given the 330,000 k it has on it and his allowing us to camp in his front yard. All my previous Jeeps (6) have been passed down to family members and last about 500,000k (20 years) before turning into to a pile of rust in the driveway. They are all mechanically sound but their bodies rust away due to the impact of salt on the roads during our winter. Lend your Airstream? You are a special Dad! My son that lives a little closer has his own Globetrotter. Tows it with my old 2003 GC (495,000k).
I have attached photos of us somewhere on a previous post.
I hope the new diesel is as good as the old CRD that Jeep inherited from Mercedes . I am optimistic given the tryouts that the Jeep has had for a few years in other countries. Jim
Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
To date and several more emails still no reply from the Jeep sales manager.

I just got back from a 3,000 mile round trip in 4 days from Denver to Can-Am RV Centre to have the new ML350 hitch re-enforced, brake controller installed, shank reset and friction brake added to the Dual Cam (Andy's insistence). I only wish Andy and his crew were located here in Denver. What a great experience/service!! Everything is now set up and I can't wait for the first trip Denver to Phoenix next month.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
1967 20' Globetrotter
2010 19' International
La Cañada Flintridge , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post

I just got back from a 3,000 mile round trip in 4 days from Denver to Can-Am RV Centre to have the new ML350 hitch re-enforced, brake controller installed, shank reset and friction brake added to the Dual Cam (Andy's insistence). I only wish Andy and his crew were located here in Denver. What a great experience/service!! Everything is now set up and I can't wait for the first trip Denver to Phoenix next month.

I can't wait to hear if your towing experience. I am just about to pull the trigger on a GL350 BlueTec. Keep us updated
kellykellyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

Quote:

We have a GL 350 on order. Production date of Feb 26. Hoping for a mid March delivery. I'm very excited about towing with the torque of the diesel and the smooth comfortable car like handling the ML and GL have.
StokerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #89
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
I also just heard back from MB and they instructed me to take the trailer to an Airstream dealer to remove weight from the tongue to less than 576. They had no idea either way about the WD. I don't see getting to under 600 pounds on mine. Relocate both batteries to the mid closet, both LP tanks, spare tire and hanger, put air mattresses in. Is one of the holding tanks far enough back to add balance? Kidding.

Stupid me has my wife besides herself after driving both the Touareg and ML350, as it was to be her daily driver instead of me in the truck.
Wont happen, airstream wont modify a trailer so that it will sway like crazy.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #90
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Why does a GL 350 have a 50k powertrain warranty and a GC have a 100k warranty?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #91
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I thought tis was a jeep thread. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Wont happen, airstream wont modify a trailer so that it will sway like crazy.
Doesn't Airstream offer units in Europe? There must be a way to do it, for a price.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
Hey, 2012FB,

A question - why did Andy insist on using a friction brake with the dual cam?

John H
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
This was a consideration when comparing the ML350 to the Touareg as the GC is completely out of the picture.

This is about the least costly marketing incentive for the manufacture. The limited 100k warranty is "limited" to inside the covers of the primary components (engine, trans, differentials). These are not items that routinely fail, so not much risk. It is usually all the other little items that keeps the vehicle repeatedly in the shop for extended stretches of time. I am very confident that the ML350 will in that respect be better than the rest based on past experiences with both MB and domestic brands.

Why did Hyundai start the trend? Poor quality history and buyer fear. All manufactures continue to increase the warranty periods out of competition. This is a good thing for all, but I would prefer the vehicle that is least likely to need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Why does a GL 350 have a 50k powertrain warranty and a GC have a 100k warranty?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
This was a consideration when comparing the ML350 to the Touareg as the GC is completely out of the picture.

This is about the least costly marketing incentive for the manufacture. The limited 100k warranty is "limited" to inside the covers of the primary components (engine, trans, differentials). These are not items that routinely fail, so not much risk. It is usually all the other little items that keeps the vehicle repeatedly in the shop for extended stretches of time. I am very confident that the ML350 will in that respect be better than the rest based on past experiences with both MB and domestic brands.

Why did Hyundai start the trend? Poor quality history and buyer fear. All manufactures continue to increase the warranty periods out of competition. This is a good thing for all, but I would prefer the vehicle that is least likely to need it.
Not necessarily, there are some long warranty vehicles which equal or exceed MB durability.

Top Rated SUVs - 2014 Vehicle Dependability Study

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
As he explained it:

Long sweeping onramp with a dip in the middle. As the TV and Trailer compress in the dip the dual cam by design will unload and there can be a moment of instability. He is an extremely knowledgeable, experienced and conservative fellow. I trust his recommendation and it is cheap and easy!

I personally love the dual cam. It has been amazing with two different trucks losing rear traction swinging out with the dual cam bringing it back in without hitting the trailer brakes. In the past when running dual friction brakes on a 32' you would have to be very quick to the trailer brakes.

This is a hazard of driving in and out of Denver throughout the winter months.

I am really looking forward to the full time 4 wheel drive on the ML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhh View Post
Hey, 2012FB,

A question - why did Andy insist on using a friction brake with the dual cam?

John H
Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
I too have used a dual cam for many years. On our last year trip to Banff and back I noticed some trailer sway. Actually i never could see any actual sway occur but I could feel it, kind of a jittery feeling thru my seat. It just kept me kind of nervous during the trip. Maybe it was the JGC tires (18" Michelin) or air pressure, I don't know. But for $1,000 I bought a used ProPride and the jitters went away.

I should have just added a friction brake and saved the money.....
Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I still own my dual cam as a backup system. The jitters with a dual cam are due to the saddles not riding fully with both edges of the bar "ramps" on the cams.

Any relatively significant weight change in tv or trailer which changes the vertical angle between the TT and TV (at the ball) will cause the cams to ride up on either the front or rear bar ramps. When the cams are not seated, the bar tension wants to force the cam into its bar socket.
This causes a twitchy on center feel. I found that as little as .020" clearance between bar ramp and cam caused this feeling. Simply loosening the cam length nut and adjusting on the road, and using a feeler gauge, kept things right.

Keep in mind, it's not like you have to do this every day....only when load changes by a few hundred pounds.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Andy spent nearly a hour going over the instructions for setting up/adjusting the twin cam and the importance of checking it and re-adjusting it periodically. There are also points in the whole head assembly that can wear/work loose contributing to the subtle sway you were feeling. He actually recommended a welded shank assembly but my twin cam head was cast iron so he could not do it. He also changed out my original shank with one that pulled the ball in as close as possible. Nearly 4" closer than the other Airstream dealer setup when I bought it. I'll repeat the drive up there was well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhh View Post
I too have used a dual cam for many years. On our last year trip to Banff and back I noticed some trailer sway. Actually i never could see any actual sway occur but I could feel it, kind of a jittery feeling thru my seat. It just kept me kind of nervous during the trip. Maybe it was the JGC tires (18" Michelin) or air pressure, I don't know. But for $1,000 I bought a used ProPride and the jitters went away.

I should have just added a friction brake and saved the money.....
Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
Thanks for the information. I have the older style dual cam units that do not have the screw adjustability. To Rich's point, I suspect i was not exact enough in positioning. Tho wear may also factor in (they are old units).

I'll keep the ProPride on my '78 Tradewind but will use the dual cam on my '67 Safari and dial it in more closely. - Everybody needs two Airstreams, right?

John H