Old 02-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
TW is a trailer a-frame/coupler spec, and receiver weight is a vehicle/receiver spec.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Here is what I find amusing. NOT! In continuing to look for a nicer smaller TV I thought how about a Land Rover LR4 and yes you guessed it, 7,716 capacity but only 550 tongue limit. What do they show at the top of the page just above the towing limits. A LR4 towing what looks like at least a 25' Airstream.

http://www.roverguide.com/8599/land-...ng-capacities/

I just heard back from VW and they said to contact Airstream for their specific recommendation for towing my Airstream with the Touareg. If it wasn't for the specific warning about not using a WD this would be my first choice.

I also just heard back from MB and they instructed me to take the trailer to an Airstream dealer to remove weight from the tongue to less than 576. They had no idea either way about the WD. I don't see getting to under 600 pounds on mine. Relocate both batteries to the mid closet, both LP tanks, spare tire and hanger, put air mattresses in. Is one of the holding tanks far enough back to add balance? Kidding.

Stupid me has my wife besides herself after driving both the Touareg and ML350, as it was to be her daily driver instead of me in the truck.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #59
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
Touareg tongue limit is 616 pounds. The Touareg owners manual expressly prohibits the use of a weight distributing hitch.
This may deserve a separate thread not focused on the Grand Cherokee.

There is lots of background on the ClubTouareg forum as well as this board on the various Touareg weight limits. The owner's manual has been updated more than once in recent years, although I am not sure specifically about the 2014 model. VW was sending updates out to those who wanted to reconcile the 770 lb hitch maximum label with the 616 lb maximum reference in the owner's manual. The hitch also had a label saying 770 lbs when using weight distribution, inconsistent with the owner's manual warning.

Personally, and this is just me, I would use weight distribution, and have the hitch reinforced or at least inspected as to its ability to handle typical weight distribution loads at the vehicle/hitch interface. The VW limits on tongue weight and WD appear to be about the hitch and its attachment, not the vehicle itself.

The 770 lbs figure is 10% of the 7700 lb (3500 kg) tow rating.
The 616 lbs figure is 8%.
The Landrover number you reference appears to be 7%.

The above leads some of us to believe that there is not a lot of engineering going into the published tongue weight limits, that they are somewhat arbitrary.

Everyone has to do what is right for them. I would consider the published maximum axle weights and tire load limits to be hard limits, and the published maximum tongue weight to be a reference to the stock VW hitch, not the vehicle.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Euro Airstreams are lighter

Quote:
Here is what I find amusing. NOT! In continuing to look for a nicer smaller TV I thought how about a Land Rover LR4 and yes you guessed it, 7,716 capacity but only 550 tongue limit. What do they show at the top of the page just above the towing limits. A LR4 towing what looks like at least a 25' Airstream.

http://www.roverguide.com/8599/land-...ng-capacities/

I just heard back from VW and they said to contact Airstream for their specific recommendation for towing my Airstream with the Touareg. If it wasn't for the specific warning about not using a WD this would be my first choice.

I also just heard back from MB and they instructed me to take the trailer to an Airstream dealer to remove weight from the tongue to less than 576. They had no idea either way about the WD. I don't see getting to under 600 pounds on mine. Relocate both batteries to the mid closet, both LP tanks, spare tire and hanger, put air mattresses in. Is one of the holding tanks far enough back to add balance? Kidding.

Stupid me has my wife besides herself after driving both the Touareg and ML350, as it was to be her daily driver instead of me in the truck.
I looked at the picture on the LR web site. The Airstream looks to be a European model 684 or 685. Max trailer weight under 6000 pounds, max "nose" weight 330 pounds. So the LR4 specs align with the AS specs....but you can't get that AS in the US.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhh View Post
I have a 2014 JGC V6 gas. I tow a 25 ft. Tradewind. Tows great. 12 mpg pulling a fully loaded Airstream, 21 mpg around town, 24/25 mpg on the highway.

The manual does state a tongue wieght limit of 740 pounds, no mention of WD. In the sales literature it also states a tongue weight of 1200 pounds when using WD.

I have had trouble with the tranny shift points in the first few months of driving. Mostly an irratant, not a real problem. I found out, the tranny software adapts over time to your driving. The shift points have all smoothed out over the last few months. Now it's real smooth.

I did have CanAm reinforce the hitch. They welded on a simple square tube to the front cross bracket The shop guy said his brother in-law had a new GC and the hitch had bent maybe 1/4" after a trip to the Rockies and back. So for WD the reinforcement is a good idea.

John H
Just wondering, where did you get that 1200# figure? The manual states 740# for 4X2 and 720# for 4X4.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I just sent he Jeep sales manager another email asking to be put in touch with the regional rep.. I also asked about the tongue limit with WDH. I can not find anything other than the 740 in the manual. I do remember seeing it referred to as a Class IV hitch which would support the 1200 but that's not what the manual states.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I looked up the owner manual online...and I can't find any other reference either. It seems quite incomplete in it's towing info.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #64

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
The Jeep Towing Guide online shows the Hemi with a Class IV, EcoDiesel with a Class III.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
I am bewildered at the statements and images of Airstreams being towed by all kinds of vehicles that are obviously over the manufactures specifications.
Personally, I would have zero problems fitting both the VW and/or the Mercedes with the appropriate WD hitch and tow away.

The hitch would most probably need reinforcement, but once that's done both vehicles appear to serve their owners extremely well.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I was building the GC with the Hemi and tow but at the end when I was looking at dealer inventory the top match turned out to be a Eco Diesel with the Trailer Tow Group IV:

Rear Load Leveling Suspension
Engine Oil Cooler
Delete Rear Tow Hook
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
7 and 4 pin wiring harness
Class IV Receiver Hitch

On paper this looks like the real deal (Class IV Receiver Hitch) I just need to test another unit to determine if the overheating and shifting issues were real or problems they don't want to admit. I would also want someone to confirm that the full Class IV hitch ratings are applied to the vehicle.

There is not much price difference between the Hemi and the EcoDiesel but there sure is with fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The Jeep Towing Guide online shows the Hemi with a Class IV, EcoDiesel with a Class III.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Just wondering, where did you get that 1200# figure? The manual states 740# for 4X2 and 720# for 4X4.

Given the link DKB_SATX just sent, I doubt the 1200# hitch weight be correct as most GC's seem to have a payload less than 1100#. I don't think reinforcing the hitch would solve the problem, as most likely the payload would be exceeded anyway.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When you compare Hemi to EcoDiesel economy consider the difference in fuel cost, and purchase cost with it's associated expenses (taxes, interest), as well as any higher diesel servicing costs.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #69
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post

You may want to dig a bit deeper on the web site. The only hitch available on a GC is a Class 1V. You may also wish to read the Motor Trend article on the SUV comparison. Jim
Old 02-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #70

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
You may want to dig a bit deeper on the web site. The only hitch available on a GC is a Class 1V. You may also wish to read the Motor Trend article on the SUV comparison. Jim
Perhaps you meant to say "Jeep may want to correct their website"? I did not create the Jeep web page on which it lists Class III for several configs of the Grand Cherokee.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote