Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Marine city , Michigan
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 44
Did dealer ever get back to you about poor performance?

I have a 2014 gas V6 - love it! Very luxurious and better mpg both towing and not than I expected.

jeep garage forum is a great resource for info, you might post your experience and see what you get back. There are many happy diesel owners towing big trailers there.

I think there was definitely something abnormal about the jeep you tested. With manual shifting my 8 spd trans will hold the gear almost as if it were a stick shift. It will only shift if you go so slow as to cause the engine to really bog down, like 8th gear at 25 mph. I tow a smaller trailer but driving down i75 in Kentucky the temp gage never moved. The trans temp stayed the same too.

I looked at Touareg diesels too - while less than a Benz or BMW, feature for feature they are still a good bit more than the Jeep and there are many more jeep dealers around if you need service.
__________________

__________________
Denny Wolfe

www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Mcdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 401
It is early and I have not heard anything back from the dealer yet.

The trans issue was very frustrating and my guess why I could not hold a better speed. It would simply lug down and I could not get it to down shift. The ratios on the 8 are fairly narrow and I should have been able to down shift to a higher RPM. I do not see how that could be anything other than programming.

The overheating was the biggest concern and will wait to hear from the dealer, but I would need to be convinced that both issues are resolved with documented explanations and actual test drive before re-considering it.

It was a 2014 trade in with only 600 miles on it. It was flawless as a daily driver, with maybe the exception of the turbo kick in, which reminded me of my wife's last A3, but a different beast altogether when pulling heavy.

Why would you buy the diesel other than to tow? It really makes no sense to me. Maybe it was stuck in regen, the fans were not coming on or Jeep still has teething issues with the software? With no tow mode I think it is setup to maximize fuel mileage causing it just to lug way too much! The software should be able to detect the increased load and adjust from there.

Just disappointed!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdenny View Post
Did dealer ever get back to you about poor performance?

I have a 2014 gas V6 - love it! Very luxurious and better mpg both towing and not than I expected.

jeep garage forum is a great resource for info, you might post your experience and see what you get back. There are many happy diesel owners towing big trailers there.

I think there was definitely something abnormal about the jeep you tested. With manual shifting my 8 spd trans will hold the gear almost as if it were a stick shift. It will only shift if you go so slow as to cause the engine to really bog down, like 8th gear at 25 mph. I tow a smaller trailer but driving down i75 in Kentucky the temp gage never moved. The trans temp stayed the same too.

I looked at Touareg diesels too - while less than a Benz or BMW, feature for feature they are still a good bit more than the Jeep and there are many more jeep dealers around if you need service.
__________________

__________________
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
JFScheck's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,474
Images: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
John, Thank you for the feedback. On paper the Jeep should do every bit as good.
Or it should do a bit better - I really wonder if you didn't have an oddball Jeep oil burner because things just don't add up.

Now remember, if you read all my posts, I was always a bit nervous about my payload and the reason why I eventually went with a 3/4 ton truck with cap vice SUV.
__________________
John "JFScheck" Scheck
2015 Roadtrek CS Adventurous XL
2015 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 XL Chassis with Mercedes BlueTec V6 Diesel
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #18
H. Green
 
hazelgreen's Avatar
 
1991 25' Excella
Edmond , Oklahoma
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 21
Images: 2
Did you ever get any answers from the dealership regarding the problems you encountered with the Eco diesel GC?
__________________
Hazel Green
hazelgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
It is early and I have not heard anything back from the dealer yet.

The trans issue was very frustrating and my guess why I could not hold a better speed. It would simply lug down and I could not get it to down shift. The ratios on the 8 are fairly narrow and I should have been able to down shift to a higher RPM. I do not see how that could be anything other than programming.

The overheating was the biggest concern and will wait to hear from the dealer, but I would need to be convinced that both issues are resolved with documented explanations and actual test drive before re-considering it.

It was a 2014 trade in with only 600 miles on it. It was flawless as a daily driver, with maybe the exception of the turbo kick in, which reminded me of my wife's last A3, but a different beast altogether when pulling heavy.

Why would you buy the diesel other than to tow? It really makes no sense to me. Maybe it was stuck in regen, the fans were not coming on or Jeep still has teething issues with the software? With no tow mode I think it is setup to maximize fuel mileage causing it just to lug way too much! The software should be able to detect the increased load and adjust from there.

Just disappointed!

I hope that you get resolution on the overheating issue. I haven't towed with my GC Overland EcoDiesel yet, but have been delighted with performance thus far. No shifting or other issues, and I use the paddles extensively on the mountain grades here around Durango. Mine was delivered in November, and did have a software update before delivery.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
__________________
Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 401
This is direct from the sales manager:

"I just got word. They checked everything out and there is nothing wrong with the car. They determined that the fuel that was put in there was not good. Talking with my Chrysler rep I found out there are 2 kinds of diesel fuel 1&2. The standard diesel you get at King Soopers or Velaro etc has many additives. Which cut down the performance and increase temp. The diesel #2 is recommended for the vehicle from Chrysler and you can get it at any truck stop. He said the diesel #1 is almost half as efficient. This was a learning experience for me. I have been getting 25mpg in my diesel and the Chrysler rep said that I would get 4-5 mpg better by using that fuel. I am in process of getting the car down to the truck stop to put the #2 diesel fuel in it and see the difference. Maybe we could try it again next week when the weather gets better to see the difference."

I am 20 plus years with diesel tow vehicles and fuel was not the problem. I don't even know of a station in the Denver metro area that sells #1. I filled it up with Shell #2 which is what I always try to buy. I tend to stay away from truck stop fuel. At this point I would not purchase the Jeep based on my experience, their response and am not interested in trying it again.

I would recommend that anyone interested in the GC tow your trailer under max conditions before committing. Perhaps they did find something wrong and simply want to blame the fuel, but I am not going to risk it even though I liked it and the advanced features (air suspension, adaptive cruise etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelgreen View Post
Did you ever get any answers from the dealership regarding the problems you encountered with the Eco diesel GC?
__________________
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,408
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
This is direct from the sales manager:

"I just got word. They checked everything out and there is nothing wrong with the car. They determined that the fuel that was put in there was not good. Talking with my Chrysler rep I found out there are 2 kinds of diesel fuel 1&2. The standard diesel you get at King Soopers or Velaro etc has many additives. Which cut down the performance and increase temp. The diesel #2 is recommended for the vehicle from Chrysler and you can get it at any truck stop. He said the diesel #1 is almost half as efficient. This was a learning experience for me. I have been getting 25mpg in my diesel and the Chrysler rep said that I would get 4-5 mpg better by using that fuel. I am in process of getting the car down to the truck stop to put the #2 diesel fuel in it and see the difference. Maybe we could try it again next week when the weather gets better to see the difference."

I am 20 plus years with diesel tow vehicles and fuel was not the problem. I don't even know of a station in the Denver metro area that sells #1. I filled it up with Shell #2 which is what I always try to buy. I tend to stay away from truck stop fuel. At this point I would not purchase the Jeep based on my experience, their response and am not interested in trying it again.

I would recommend that anyone interested in the GC tow your trailer under max conditions before committing. Perhaps they did find something wrong and simply want to blame the fuel, but I am not going to risk it even though I liked it and the advanced features (air suspension, adaptive cruise etc.).
Yeah, I don't think so either! #1 vs #2 would have no affect on coolant temp. It might have some affect on longevity of the high pressure pump and maybe injectors ans SOME affect on mileage, but not as much as they say above.
I can't see it affecting the shift pattern either.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #22
TahoeStream'n
 
subfan1's Avatar
 
2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 832
Images: 3
I'm confused, is your Jeep a rental? To see if you liked it? Can you just give it back and say it didn't work for you? Or are you stuck with it?
__________________
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 401
I was very interested in purchasing the unit and told the dealer I would not without first towing my trailer from Denver to Silverthorne. The dealer balked and told me I could not tow with a new unit and then called back to say they had a 2014 trade in with 600 miles and I could take that for the test whichI did. I am also waiting for better weather to do the same with the Touareg TDI and ML350 BlueTec before deciding between the two.


Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I'm confused, is your Jeep a rental? To see if you liked it? Can you just give it back and say it didn't work for you? Or are you stuck with it?
__________________
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #24
TahoeStream'n
 
subfan1's Avatar
 
2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 832
Images: 3
Oh... Very generous dealer. Sounds like you lucked out, good for you. Good luck with your other choices.
__________________
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #25
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
I wonder why someone traded in a vehicle with 600 miles. Hopefully the particular unit has problems and it's not a general capability problem with the platform.
__________________
David

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #26
TahoeStream'n
 
subfan1's Avatar
 
2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 832
Images: 3
I was wondering the same thing... Perhaps it was a demo?
__________________
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,408
Images: 5
Or a buyback....but that should come with a disclosure. Wonder what the warranty history shows in the system?????
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Kinda like a mystery show here, each post reveals a few more clues but the truth is yet to be known.
__________________

__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluma fiesta 2014 pdvasquez The Rally Zone 18 02-02-2014 06:41 AM
Used diesel for $20000 lpatkins Tow Vehicles 2 09-04-2011 03:26 PM
Airstream Land Yacht Diesel Repo Slide out Wash/dryer SAirstream Land Yacht Diesel R eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 08-04-2011 08:10 PM
Diesel VS Propane Darkspeed LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 22 07-09-2011 09:37 PM
Diesel Engine Programmers moosetags Tow Vehicles 34 05-23-2011 10:49 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.