Old 04-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #155
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Now I understand how the "Gimili Glider" became the "Gimili Glider". Temperatures reported are in degrees C not F. I will report on the normal towing and not towing temps later. Jim

Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 AM   #156
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
I now have close to 15,000 miles on my Ecodiesel. I've consolidated some information I posted in other threads/forums for easier viewing.

I posted this one early in January:

I think I finally have the Propride hitch and Direclink brake controller dialed in. It was a bit of a wrestling match with the Air Suspension, but I followed JamuJoes advice to overcome the Jeep's "Hal 9000." With the 2014 you disable the Air Suspension through the Uconnect soft keys by placing it in "tire jack mode."
Everything else is pretty much the same as the 2012 model.
Here are my stats after weighing, tweaking, weighing again, etc...
GAWR Front 3200lb Actual w/trailer 3140lb
GAWR Rear 3700lb Actual w/trailer 3700lb
28' FB Classic attached to jeep 6600lb
Max combined 6800lb + 7200lb = 14000lb
Actual combined = 13440

Jeep loading (driver and 1 passenger, full fuel, 1/2 tank DEF, no cargo)
Trailer loading (full propane tanks, full fresh water tank (54 gal), empty gray and black water tanks, full refer, cargo for 5 days dry camping).

Here's a recap of my towing experience to and from Las Vegas:

- Engine performance
-- It out pulls my 2011 Grand Cherokee Hemi
-- Oil and Coolant temps were a concern on long uphill pulls. Slowing from
55 mph to 50 stabilized oil temp at 257 and coolant temp never went into the
red zone
-- fuel consumption averaged 19.5 mpg Las Vegas to Pasadena and 18.4 mpg
on return trip
- Transmission performance
--Smooth and appropriate shifts. Transmission temp hovered around 195 and
never climbed above 203
- Direclink brake controller worked extremely well with my electric/hydraulic
brake system.
- Propride hitch worked as advertised. Big rigs passing me at 75 mph while I was
doing 55 were no problem.

I posted this after completing my second trip with the Airstream last week:

Sandpoint, ID to Las Vegas via Hwy200 and 93 (lots of winding roads, hills, mountain passes, etc..) with some city driving in Vegas
- no trailer, OAT 30-70 F, speed 70-75 mph when possible
- 1292 miles, 46.2 gal DSL, avg. mpg 28.0
- ECO mode on, Transmission Oil Temp mostly 195, Engine Oil mostly 203

Las Vegas to Sandpoint via the same route in reverse
- with 6600 lb Airstream in tow, speed 60 mph when possible
- 925 miles, 56.6 gal DSL, avg. mpg 16.3
-ECO mode off, Trans Oil Temp max 199, Engine Oil Temp max 256

The highest pass I went over was 7800 Ft. On grades I spent a lot of time in 7th gear, less time in 6th, and the steepest grades were in 5th gear at 45 mph. I've towed the Airstream over the same route with my 2004 Duramax and averaged 12 mpg with a minimum speed of 55 mph for comparison.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Great report!

Why do you think the oil temp was so high? It doesn't seem out of range though.
The jeep GC has an oil cooler. I had the service tech show it to me. It is part of the radiator, if you look close the fins are different on the lower section.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
FYI there is an update out for the 8.4 radio.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #159
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Regarding oil temp, do these engines come factory fill with synthetic ? At those oil temps, I would think full synthetic would be a good idea.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
Great report!

Why do you think the oil temp was so high? It doesn't seem out of range though.
The jeep GC has an oil cooler. I had the service tech show it to me. It is part of the radiator, if you look close the fins are different on the lower section.
I'm still in the learning mode regarding the VM 3.0 diesel. I believe this motor is designed to run much warmer than we're used to seeing with our Duramax's, etc.. The coolant thermostat doesn't even start to open until 208 F. It's fully open at 228 F. During long hard pulls the coolant temp gauge will steadily climb to within 1 bar of the red zone and stay there. Likewise, the engine oil temp will climb to around 256 F and stay there. I haven't yet learned at what temp the PCM software is programmed to turn on the cooling fan, but based on what I'm seeing on the gauges, I'd say it's a pretty high number. The turbo is water-cooled, and the pistons are oil-cooled (engine oil is circulated through the piston).

The engine does require a special low ash, synthetic oil that's designed to withstand high operating temperatures and not plug the DPF.

I've been told by a Chrysler Tech who recently attended Chrysler training on the VM 3.0 that the PCM will "self-protect" the engine when it actually begins to overheat, i.e., you'll slow down. I have yet to test that feature
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
TerryG - Thank you for the detailed summary. We just looked at the JGC last week and this in valuable info from someone who has already been there!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #162
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
TerryG: Good post with excellent detail, thanks for posting.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #163
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Terry,
It looks like we have almost the same oil temps on a climb. My average mileage turned out to be 14.6 m/us gal. May be low due to the new engine. Also maybe because I was a little heavier than you. I was driving at 63 mph. Looks like it can only get better. Have you found an easy source for DEF? Jim
Old 04-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #164
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
during long hard pulls the coolant temp gauge will steadily climb to within 1 bar of the red zone and stay there. Likewise, the engine oil temp will climb to around 256 f and stay there.
yikes!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #165
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
yikes!!!
Well, yikes was my first reaction also. However, it may just be my old fashioned way of looking at these kinds of things....that being "cooler is better".
Having said that though, that is why I asked about the use of syn oil. I would think it would be certainly mandated, and apparently it is. If it were me, I would want to change it often, and have a Blackstone analysis done a few times to see how it looks.
Just as an aside, from my research and understanding, the reference temp that has traditionally been used for oil is 212 degrees F. At that target point, basic design decisions are made regarding flowability vs pumping and other capabilities.
It sounds like this engine may be designed to run at higher temps for perhaps the purpose of cleaner emissions and perhaps also lower fuel consumption.

From the limited ( so far ) report we have of these motors, it sounds like it's a very nice engine as for use and drive-ability. Finally we are getting some "nice size" diesel choices in the north american market. I wish Chrysler and the buyers well on this. If they do well, the others will follow.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #166
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Jim,

I've purchased DEF that meets Chrysler's spec. at our local Autozone. It sells for around $14.00 per 2.5 gal container w/spout.

Gmw Photos,

I agree with your recommendation to change the oil often. Chrysler says "up to 10,000 miles between oil changes. I've done two oil changes at 5000 mile intervals and am getting ready to do another one as I'm approaching 15,000 miles. A downside to the VM 3.0 engine is the cost of oil and filter. It uses a cartridge filter that sells anywhere from $45 to $60 currently. However, I have seen reports of some finding the filter online for as little as $30. The synthetic oil sells for around $9/qt. and the motor takes 8 quarts. My dealer is charging $99.00 for a oil/filter change and says he's doing it at a loss. The other local Chrysler dealer says he can't do it for less than $154 without losing money.

My only gripes so far with the Jeep are an annoying rattle in the overhead console (it's the sunglasses holder I think), and the poor Sirius/XM reception despite having the antenna replaced per a TSB addressing the issue. Oh yeah, I found out the hard way not to use the high capacity Diesel pumps with the large nozzles. It took less than a second to soak me with $0.29 cents worth of Diesel
Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #167
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
Jim,

I've purchased DEF that meets Chrysler's spec. at our local Autozone. It sells for around $14.00 per 2.5 gal container w/spout.

Gmw Photos,

I agree with your recommendation to change the oil often. Chrysler says "up to 10,000 miles between oil changes. I've done two oil changes at 5000 mile intervals and am getting ready to do another one as I'm approaching 15,000 miles. A downside to the VM 3.0 engine is the cost of oil and filter. It uses a cartridge filter that sells anywhere from $45 to $60 currently. However, I have seen reports of some finding the filter online for as little as $30. The synthetic oil sells for around $9/qt. and the motor takes 8 quarts. My dealer is charging $99.00 for a oil/filter change and says he's doing it at a loss. The other local Chrysler dealer says he can't do it for less than $154 without losing money.

My only gripes so far with the Jeep are an annoying rattle in the overhead console (it's the sunglasses holder I think), and the poor Sirius/XM reception despite having the antenna replaced per a TSB addressing the issue. Oh yeah, I found out the hard way not to use the high capacity Diesel pumps with the large nozzles. It took less than a second to soak me with $0.29 cents worth of Diesel
Terry,
One would think that in time, the cost of the filters will come down. Hopefully.

As for the oil, I would be curious if Mobil 1 would meet the specs for this engine ? Do you have any knowledge of that ? I use it in my vehicles, and regularly buy it on sale in 5 qt containers at wally world for around $22.

As to the high flow nozzles at the truck stop....yes sir, I hear you. I often fuel the F350 there....and for sure I stand to the side and squeeze the lever with caution !
Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #168
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Here's hoping that the overheating Eco-diesel isn't another Pentastar failure waiting to happen...

Some people on the Jeep forums are having issues and blown head gaskets...

MY2014 diesel Grand cherokee overheating? - JeepForum.com

Here are some quotes:

"Good day,i bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Overland.The vehicle has 5800 km on the clock and it overheats to a point that it goes into a limp mode and slows down to idle speed,this only happens during towing a boat or caravan.During the past weekend it happened to me while driving up a long uphill on cruise control set at 100 km/h.It gave a service electronic throttle alarm and the engine light came on and sustained.I took the vehicle to a dealer and the ecu had a fault "turbo over boost" which was reset by them.I then drove off and did not use cruise control and thus slowed down on uphills and managed to control the temp.It still came very close to the orange mark.The oil temp got to 264 and then dropped down after i took my foot off the accelerator.Please can you advise as to similar issues?"

"I have had similar problems. Our MY2014 GC Limited Diesel blew a head gasket first time it went on sand. They repaired under warranty, there have been a few issues since then to do with the cooling system (couple of leaking orings). Ever since then I've been very paranoid about the temperature. We had high temperature when towing our jayco caravan on bitumen, straight section of flat road. The dealer reports that is normal temps to see when towing but it's hard to know whether you're getting the truth or a story from the dealer so they don't have to deal with it further."