Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
I've got a 2008 Dodge Megacab 2500 4x4. I love it.....most times.

I grew up driving one ton long bed duallies, so the size doesn't bother me but the turning radius is a little bigger than the fords I remember. That may have something to do with the four wheel drive, its my first one so I don't have a reference there. I've also got a toolbox in the back, so that limits what I can put in it. I swear once input my grill and a few camp chairs and an ice chest it's full.

But.....

We absolutely love the Megacab. I've got two almost teenage kids, and they and a 75 pound Boxer dog traveled 2100 miles around atlantic coast of Florida and Georgia and back with no problems or complaints. There's actually more room in the back seat than the front and the rear seats can recline because of the extra room behind them,

That being said, I'm seriously thinking about getting a long bed one ton after the kids are in college just to travel with a motorcycle in back and still pull my airstream without worries. I'll need the space and the payload capacities if that happens.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Our crew cab 4x4 has a short bed and is fine for handling our 31 foot trailer.

I suppose theoretically a long bed would make it an even better tow vehicle with the longer wheelbase, but with the hitch we have, stability has never been an issue at all.

I think one thing worth considering is whether or not your truck will be a daily driver. Ours is, and even with the short bed, it can be a pig to park at times. That would be enough to prevent me from considering a long bed for our use.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
8 foot bed = smooth towing. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have a 3rd generation 2500, short bed, quad cab. It has a 34 gallon fuel tank which is fine for my purposes. Once in a great while I lack some cargo space but that's more of a sign that I'm starting to bring too much crap with me when camping......
The truck is heavy and long enough that stability is not an issue but I am also using a HAHA hitch which negates the stability factor.
A longer wheelbase will gain you more cargo room, a better ride and about 2 more gallons of fuel.
My brother owns a 2012 crew cab long bed and it compares to a school bus after driving my truck. He test drove the 3500 trucks in the same configuration before settling on the 2500 and he said there was a definite difference in the ride quality. A 2500 truck has more than enough payload and towing capacity to tow any Airstream trailer. I've been to the scales with my truck and 30' trailer fully loaded - I know this from fact. The 4th generation trucks in fact do ride smoother than previous generations.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I've always heard that longer wheelbase translates into a better ride. I believe that to be true but doubt it would be noticeable. I have an '06 Dodge megacab and they were only available with the short bed and I like it a lot. It comes down to your personal preference. It will be a long truck in any configuration and they all will tow just fine.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
Mgriffrus ... If you need a long bed, Check out longbedmytruck.com ... These guys and some others will convert it for you.

Mine is an 06 mega cab and I have found that the parking spots furthest from the door of the supermarket are better for me than closer ones. Less stressful and more walking.

The Megacab is great for taking the dogs with us and I agree with crispyboy, when the bed gets full I've got too much stuff.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
Also less stressful is taking a trip around the block rather than making a u-turn
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jump View Post
Mgriffrus ... If you need a long bed, Check out longbedmytruck.com ... These guys and some others will convert it for you.

Mine is an 06 mega cab and I have found that the parking spots furthest from the door of the supermarket are better for me than closer ones. Less stressful and more walking.

The Megacab is great for taking the dogs with us and I agree with crispyboy, when the bed gets full I've got too much stuff.
That's pretty cool, it's definitely something worth looking into. It always cracks me up seeing these people who drive these big trucks/SUVs and try and park and drive them like they're cars. Always park where you can get that thing out!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Thanks to all of you who contributed opinions and your experience to my inquiry.

Yesterday we pulled the trigger....a preferred euphemism these days.....and traded in for a 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie 4X4.....The GCWR is about 24,000 and this baby will tow over 17,000.....the same as a dually from 2012 or earlier. Ram has created a masterpiece this year with the new engineering and advanced electronic packages...

We are blessed. Hope to meet many of you on the road sometime......Blessings...Zigi
Old 04-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
On my short bed, I changed out the factory 34 gallon tank for a Titan under bed 56 gallon fuel tank. I have greater range plus all the space in the bed of the truck.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Smoother towing with a longer wheelbase; but, for us, the short bed is very roadworthy and MUCH easier to park/turn both hitched and bare. We are only towing a 25 ...YMMV
Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Due to cab size configurations on DODGE trucks one must specify the wheelbase, and whether 2WD or 4WD for any real comparative purposes as the same wheelbase is shared by the at least one shortbed/big cab and longbed/standard cab configuration.

Long wheelbase runs out of stability benefit past 130", just as vehicle weight tapers off as beneficial past 4,000-lbs. The changes are incremental, at best, past this point.

Turning circle diameter is what remains.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
The shorter wheelbase will be easier (not easy) to park. The smaller bed is still 6.5' correct? Many 1/2 ton trucks have a 5.5' bed.

If you get the rearview camera and Ram box...cool. That Ram box would be provide great camping storage. Rear camera very useful in backing up to the trailer or out of the driveway.