Old 10-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
2012 Tundra towing WARNING- Ouch...

I have towed our 2006 Airstream with a 2006 Tundra double cab and a 2008 Tundra double cab. Sometimes when turning or backing up it is necessary to make a tight angle turn. Never a problem... until the 2012 Tundra Crew Max.

Backing into our garage this Fall, with my wife guiding one side for clearance, I heard an "odd" sound on my right side. With the "safety" mirrors you really cannot see much on the right side, so I call it my blind spot. The driver's side mirror reflects a non distorted view until you are at an angle where a second pair of eyes are needed to watch clearances.

The tail lights extend out much farther on the 2012 than the earlier Tundra's. Thus creating a pinch point and the resulting dent. The tail light was not damaged at all, but it sure put a nice dent in the trailer. That has to be one strong tail light!

We have friends who went from a 2000 Tundra and bought a 2012 Double Cab Tundra this Summer. They drove to Canada and while backing into a camping spot, knocked a hole in their Arctic Fox 25 foot trailer, WITH the Toyota optional trailer mirrors for rear viewing. Tail light, right side... No tail light problem from the pressure, but they will have to patch the hole in their trailer.

I am now very careful on a tight angle and am passing this information along to save someone else some potential problem in the future. Sure, it is not the Tundra at fault. But, this is the first time I have experienced a problem in a tight turn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2894.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	170787   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2893.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	170788  

Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I'm surprised to see that. Normally a WD hitch places the ball far enough back that damage from a jackknife is almost imposible. What kind of hitch are you using?

Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I'm surprised to see that. Normally a WD hitch places the ball far enough back that damage from a jackknife is almost imposible. What kind of hitch are you using?
That's my question. With my equilizer hitch I don't think that could happen but I'll check next time I have it hooked up. I don't think it's even close. That had never even crossed my mind as a possibility. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Hitch Used with 2012 Tundra

There is no name on the hitch, so I have a photograph and you might be able to tell me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2895.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	170806  
Old 10-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Sorry to hear about your mishap; that kind of thing is always on my mind when backing around a tight turn.

With my rig, I've confirmed it's impossible to pinch while moving forward, even with the steering wheel turned all the way to the lock. Turning radius of the truck just isn't tight enough.

But when backing, with steering wheel turned opposite to the direction the rear of the trailer is going, I don't see anything to prevent one from inadvertently going too far, and getting an interference. The only question would be where - bumper against frame, or body to body.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
There is no name on the hitch, so I have a photograph and you might be able to tell me...
Looks like a Reese.
The shank on the hitch looks short.
As other posters have said, this should not happen. I would consider changing my hitch.
You bump looks like the type that could be pulled out with one of those suction devices.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Your hitch is an Easy Lift, or a copy there of like maybe a Curt. Nothing wrong with the hitch, and I'm surprised the truck was able to hit the body of the trailer.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Don't lengthen the hitch to avoid this sort of thing, as it will make the trailer more likely to sway. You want the distance from hitch ball to rear axle as short as possible.

That is part of the logic of the Hensley design (pivot point projection) to eliminate sway, and proven by Andrew Thomson of CanAm RV in track testing.

doug k
Old 10-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yeah, getting out to check is just part of backing. A nice, compact hitch-rig is best.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Hmmm...I have a 2007 Crewmax with factory towing mirrors. I guess I just have never turned that tight.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I guess you need a third pair of eyes to check whether you have jack knifed too much. I get into some tight spots with my trailers but have never turned tight enough to hit the trailer. I would recommend the "Dent King" that uses hot melt adhesive over the plain suction cup pullers. I have pulled out some hail dents with one. Yours looks pretty shallow.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Hmmm...I have a 2007 Crewmax with factory towing mirrors. I guess I just have never turned that tight.
I guess I just have never turned that tight. . yet
Old 10-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Tundra Tail Light "Pinching"

I mention the Tundra tow mirrors as you are not stuck with a distorted view when using the right side mirror for backing up. It also becomes a blind spot, yet the idea was to improve your "blind spot". It has nothing to do with the tail light denting your trailer during a tight turn. I have been towing this trailer for seven years and my friend has been towing his for ten years, never getting a dent... until the 2012 tail light "discovery". That is significant.

A problem trucks having tow mirrors are their sticking out into traffic. The driver should try to remember to retract the driver's side extended mirror while parked, so not to have the mirror torn off by a wide vehicle moving through traffic. In Colorado during tourist season you hear about mirrors being ripped off the side of a truck because of the narrow lanes in the center of town. Do not believe me... retracting IS cheap insurance.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There's a good reason the right side is called the blind side as one does not have enough visual field of reference to establish a feel that is consistent with the left side.

Blaming the mirror is not quite to the point although I'd agree with some criticisms I've read. Really, the right side of the vehicle is a whole other vehicle and it is being operated by remote control. The "feel" of the thing is different. Some driver training is in order when working off of the blind side.

There's a bit too much faith in things unseen (being consistent). Some additional layers of interpretation happening not needed with the left side. Indirect-ness.