Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have hit an approaching GMC Yukon mirror to mirror while my to mirrors were extended. I still cannot blame the mirrors. He crossed over the center line. the road to try to avoid him. The damage was very minimal. There is just a rub mArk on the amber light lens on the mirror. The Yukon that hit me had Putco chrome covers on his mirrors and I could see no damage to his. It sure was a loud crash, though. Because one of his passengers was running off at the mouth police were called. There were five people in my truck thy gave the same account of what happened, including one blind man.

m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is possible to dent the lower rock guard (segment protector) with an '07 double cab Tundra. The taillight lens is tough and the rock guard is pretty soft stainless steel. I did it several years ago on the driver's side. I'm more careful now and plan backing better than I did then.

To dent the body above the rock guard without much damage to the guard means the taillight must stick out in that space above the rock guard.

Rednax is right about the right side. Often it is blind and no mirror can compensate for that. Even with my wife guiding me, I can't always see her, especially on the right side, and it is best to get out and look, and then if there's any doubt, get out again, and again. I don't like getting out over and over, but it saves hundreds of dollars (maybe more) in repairs.

I saw a Tundra with different mirrors—they were side by side instead of one over the other. Is that a new design or was it an aftermarket mirror? On ours the upper mirror is motorized and shows the usual view behind. The lower one is adjusted by hand and helps eliminate a lot (but not all) of the blind spot and allows me to see where the trailer tires are tracking. Pulled out, they are pretty wide, but not as wide as the trailer.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The shank on my equalizer brand hitch is longer.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
...With the "safety" mirrors you really cannot see much on the right side, so I call it my blind spot. The driver's side mirror reflects a non distorted view until you are at an angle where a second pair of eyes are needed to watch clearances.

The tail lights extend out much farther on the 2012 than the earlier Tundra's. Thus creating a pinch point and the resulting dent. The tail light was not damaged at all, but it sure put a nice dent in the trailer. That has to be one strong tail light!

We have friends who went from a 2000 Tundra and bought a 2012 Double Cab Tundra this Summer. They drove to Canada and while backing into a camping spot, knocked a hole in their Arctic Fox 25 foot trailer, WITH the Toyota optional trailer mirrors for rear viewing. Tail light, right side... No tail light problem from the pressure, but they will have to patch the hole in their trailer.

I am now very careful on a tight angle and am passing this information along to save someone else some potential problem in the future. Sure, it is not the Tundra at fault. But, this is the first time I have experienced a problem in a tight turn.
Same here on a crew cab Ram with EQ grand shank / hitch. Suffice it to say that you are not alone; sad indeed! Mine pulled out ... mostly - on the AS. Truck needed new TL. The new LED truck tail lights are super!
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
I did the same thing with a Ram Crew Cab as well. My dent was a little too deep so I covered it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	171173  
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Tundra Tail Light Hates my AS

Crawford Gene, you noticed that my rock guard was not dented. I pulled it back into position as well as I could. When we were at Jackson Center in 2007, I bought an extra set as the gravel roads our AS "takes us" takes a pounding. Some day the old hammered set will get a nice face lift.

The dent in the AS has a horizontal crease from the rock guard's rolled top edge. That had to be the contact with the high point of the tail light.

What got my attention is when my friend, who has owned his Arctic Fox for more years than I have had our 2006 AS... had his 2012 Tundra out on the maiden trip to Canada and busted a hole in his Arctic Fox fiber glass body! We all find ourselves in situations that we see coming... but attacked by my own tail light. That never was a problem with my 2006 or 2008 Tundra. My friend also said his tail light did not even show any damage, like mine.

Still love the Tundra. I will keep watching those tight backing into a parking spot for now on!

Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote