Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Ok Steve, I must have the newer version of the firmware, the good and bad of 'putters, they can always be reprogramed to behave a little differently...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Just an update on this issue....Back in July I finally got in touch with someone at the dealer, and they told me there were no service bulletins on my truck's brake operator. So then I called Chrysler CS (thanks Kevin for the info), and they said yes indeed there was a service bulletin that dealt with the speed at which the main CPU communicated with the other items in the truck, and that upgrade "Might" effect the delay in the brake operator. They actually got the dealer's CS department on the phone with me, told them about it, then left me with the dealer to coordinate the time/date to take my truck in.

Jump forward to the day before yesterday, the first day that I was able to take the truck in because we were gone on a trip all of August, and after having the truck in all day, the dealer tells me the brake operator is working normally, and there is no service bulletin out on my truck. Does this emoticon explain my feelings properly?

Yesterday I called Chrysler CS back, they did have record of my call on July 12th, but would not let me talk with the same rep., but instead put me on hold for about seven minutes (I assume the consulted with the dealer during this time), and then when they returned told me there was no service bulletin on my truck, and there was nothing they could do for me.

So, my advise to you is, do not try to use a pivot point projection hitch of any kind with a late model Dodge Ram truck. And by the way, my ProPride hitch is for sale cheap in the classified section of this site.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our 2012 Ram 1500 and ProPride hitch have worked very well together, never had the brake delay that I'm aware of, nor the Hensley bump. I wonder if the 1500 and 2500 use the same controller. Probably. We'll be leaving soon for an extended trip and will report any problem if we have it.

The ProPride worked well with your Chev truck so one has to believe the problem is with your Ram brake controller. It's very unfortunate you have got the runaround from them and then brushed off, not good when these truck companies seem so proud of their towing abilities.

If your truck brakes grab before the trailer brakes, wouldn't this be a problem with any style hitch? Would the trailer want to bump the trick forward in an emergency stopping situation? These controllers ought to stop the trailer with the truck together, without a delay, I would think.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our 2012 Ram 1500 and ProPride hitch have worked very well together, never had the brake delay that I'm aware of, nor the Hensley bump. I wonder if the 1500 and 2500 use the same controller. Probably. We'll be leaving soon for an extended trip and will report any problem if we have it.

The ProPride worked well with your Chev truck so one has to believe the problem is with your Ram brake controller. It's very unfortunate you have got the runaround from them and then brushed off, not good when these truck companies seem so proud of their towing abilities.

If your truck brakes grab before the trailer brakes, wouldn't this be a problem with any style hitch? Would the trailer want to bump the trick forward in an emergency stopping situation? These controllers ought to stop the trailer with the truck together, without a delay, I would think.

doug
Yes, Doug, it is an issue with the Reese SC as well. The brakes just don't feel right, but at least there's no severe bump, and no requirement to re-adjust the hitch after a quick application of the brakes.

It all worked perfectly with my '08 GMC 2500, and at this point, I wish I had bought another, but such is life.

Of course, I have no way of knowing if we have the same controller, or even if I could install a different controller without screwing up the 'puter. At a minimum, I know I would loose a lot of the features built in to the truck.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have disc brakes on my Classic 28. I was disappointed when I read the manual for my new 2013 Duramax 2500HD and found that the integrated controller was designed to only work with electric brakes.

I simply bolted two brake magnets to the rear of the storage box behind the propane tanks and tapped them into the blue brake wire from the umbilical to make it look like I have electric brakes.

Last week, I took my first trip with the new truck and the integrated brakes worked great. I have the gain set at 5.5 and the PPP never swerved from straight on. The brakes were much smoother and more linear than with my Prodigy controller in the old truck. I made several hard stops in a stretch of road construction and the PPP stayed straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00168.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	195453  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
My PPP hitch always stayed straight on hard stops also, but on quick application of the brakes is when it would do "the bump", and slip out of alignment.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #27
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
My PPP hitch always stayed straight on hard stops also, but on quick application of the brakes is when it would do "the bump", and slip out of alignment.
Believe me, I hammered the brakes HARD twice in the construction zone on I-35 near West. Once, because I wasn't alert enough to see a stoppage coming and once because of two lane-weaving idiots who took most of my stopping space. The PPP stayed straight through all of it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I've always used the TruControl with our Hensley, only time I've had the "bump" is when the head has been off-center, strut bar re-adjust corrected the problem.

Have you contacted Sean? Not right that the yoke keeps going out like that.

Bob
Old 09-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Believe me, I hammered the brakes HARD twice in the construction zone on I-35 near West. Once, because I wasn't alert enough to see a stoppage coming and once because of two lane-weaving idiots who took most of my stopping space. The PPP stayed straight through all of it.
Yes John, and I never had a problem towing with my GMC, it's only since I switched to the Dodge Ram tow vehicle that the problem has come up.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I've always used the TruControl with our Hensley, only time I've had the "bump" is when the head has been off-center, strut bar re-adjust corrected the problem.

Have you contacted Sean? Not right that the yoke keeps going out like that.

Bob
Yes Bob, I have spoken with Sean, and he has been great in helping me with the problem....even sent me some new "U" bolts because I had ruined one of them trying to tighten it so it wouldn't slip. He also had some suggestions, and I ran some ideas by him, but neither his suggestions or my ideas actually addressed the problem of the delay in the Chrysler brake operator.

The PPP hitch design simply will not tolerate a delay in the application of the trailer brakes from the tow vehicle brakes.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Mercer Island , Washington
Steve, sent you a PM. I'm willing to buy it if you still have it
dcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheshire View Post
Steve, sent you a PM. I'm willing to buy it if you still have it
Yes, I replied to your e-mail, and I cannot package and ship the hitch. It's for sale for local pickup only.

If you saw how these hitches are packaged and shipped from the factory, you would understand. They use special boxes, plastic wrap, foam packaging, and special heavy duty plastic ties to hold the boxes together, all of which I have no access to.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #33
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Well you could always add a Maxbrake controller if you think the integrated one is to blame. My rig brakes perfectly with the Maxbrake.

I have the PPP and have not had a problem with the yoke slipping during heavy braking. Maybe there's something wrong with your hitch.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Tekonsa p3 wireless unit worked well on my Mercedes with Hensley on trailer. It just uses the cigarette lighter socket to power the remote. The trailer mounted unit senses deceleration and applies the trailer brakes accordingly.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Must be a faulty controller. This past weekend I towed with a 2012 Dodge 2500 and the brake controller worked flawlessly with my trailer and Hensley Hitch. Brake setting was heavy trailer ~6.
Sent you an email with someone to contact. Might be time for a nasti-gram from your favorite lawyer to the dealer.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Must be a faulty controller. This past weekend I towed with a 2012 Dodge 2500 and the brake controller worked flawlessly with my trailer and Hensley Hitch. Brake setting was heavy trailer ~6.
Sent you an email with someone to contact. Might be time for a nasti-gram from your favorite lawyer to the dealer.
Thanks, but I'm way past the dealer now. I've talked three times now with Chrysler customer service, and the last time to the manager of the department, and informed her this is not something that can be swept under the rug, it is a safety issue, and I have made sure they are aware of this.

She told me she would get with their engineering department, and get back to me.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The call back may be when some place real warm freezes over. After a week, call every day.

I had a safety issue with a new Cessna years ago, a part would break off the cowling and fall to earth and repeated that sequence many times. The dealer and then the distributor said they would not work on it any more.

A friendly call the the Chairman of the Board explaining my lawyer had copies of these special repair work orders (plus all the others as well) in case I fell out of the skies and crashed because of the issue.

The next day there was intense interest from those same two parties to resolve the issue.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The squeeky wheel gets the grease.
Yep, I have her name and number, and will escalate higher if needed.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #39
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I ordered a 2014 Ram Laramie 2500 4x4 with Cummins as my new tow vehicle. It was shipped a couple of weeks ago, and I should have it next week. The first thing I'll be doing is checking out the brake controller.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I ordered a 2014 Ram Laramie 2500 4x4 with Cummins as my new tow vehicle. It was shipped a couple of weeks ago, and I should have it next week. The first thing I'll be doing is checking out the brake controller.
Please report back with your results.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote