Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Obviously this Dodge dealership is not so sophisticated, but the important thing is they felt, and observed the delay, and so now admit there is a problem.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Obviously this Dodge dealership is not so sophisticated, but the important thing is they felt, and observed the delay, and so now admit there is a problem.
Hi, this is at least a good start.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #101
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Just another update here....after I was told they would call me back last Wednesday (the dealer service dept), Chrysler CS called, and told me they would call me back with more info on Friday. They did not call. So, Monday morning I got on the phone calling everyone I had numbers for, and some that would not call me back like the dealer General Manager, and after playing asseatusgargantuous for most of the morning, the dealer shows up at my house yesterday with a shop '12 Ram truck and their shop trailer for me to test drive.

Their truck/trailer did not have the delay in the braking, so we hooked their truck to my trailer (they were still trying to lay the blame on me), and took it for a test drive. It did not have the delay in the braking.

They left with my truck taking it back to the dealer, hopefully to fix it. They told me they were going to change out the controller and load test the grounds. Hopefully.....
Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #102
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Just another update here....after I was told they would call me back last Wednesday (the dealer service dept), Chrysler CS called, and told me they would call me back with more info on Friday. They did not call. So, Monday morning I got on the phone calling everyone I had numbers for, and some that would not call me back like the dealer General Manager, and after playing asseatusgargantuous for most of the morning, the dealer shows up at my house yesterday with a shop '12 Ram truck and their shop trailer for me to test drive.

Their truck/trailer did not have the delay in the braking, so we hooked their truck to my trailer (they were still trying to lay the blame on me), and took it for a test drive. It did not have the delay in the braking.

They left with my truck taking it back to the dealer, hopefully to fix it. They told me they were going to change out the controller and load test the grounds. Hopefully.....

Well it looks like they did come over with a new controller....attached to another TV, good thinking on their part.

Best of luck with getting it resolved.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Well sounds like the good news is that it is a problem with your truck, not you trailer or all Ram trucks.

Now hopefully they can fix it.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #104
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

I thought they were a much better TV when they were an oxymoron.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #105
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yea, I know LOTS of jokes about the Dodge, or Ram trucks, but most are not "politically correct", so I won't repeat them in public print.

I can testify, however, that the Cummins engine IS "kickass".

At this point (starting to get really tired of it, and I suspect that's what they are banking on) I just hope they get it fixed. It's already cost me the use and cost of the ProPride hitch.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #106
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
One more update....got the truck back last Saturday, and between other appointments and rain, didn't get to test tow the trailer until yesterday afternoon.

Verdict: While it might be ever so slightly better, it is not right. There is still very noticeable delay between truck and trailer brakes. This is on the "proper" setting of "heavy electric".

It is interesting to note that almost all of the delay is gone if I set the brakes on "heavy electric over hydraulic", and I have reported this to the dealer service manager and asked if this will do any harm.

He told me he would put the question to the engineering department, and get back to me.

Again, I wait for a call........
Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Frustrating - but maybe that's the answer?? Good luck. Did you give up on the PP because of this?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Frustrating - but maybe that's the answer?? Good luck. Did you give up on the PP because of this?
Yes, because every time I would hit the brakes quickly, not even a panic stop, the hitch would loose centering adjustment and I'd get a terrific "bump". Over time kind of made me concerned about even putting on the brakes.

Then when I asked Sean what would happen if I welded it, his response was I might break something. So, did not want that concern hanging over my head.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Steve, I hope they figure this out for you. We pulled our Airstream/ProPride about 800 miles the last few days, many stops, with our 2012 Ram 1500/factory controller and never had a bump. It's most probably the same controller as yours, the delay would be universal if intended.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Yes, because every time I would hit the brakes quickly, not even a panic stop, the hitch would loose centering adjustment and I'd get a terrific "bump". Over time kind of made me concerned about even putting on the brakes.

Then when I asked Sean what would happen if I welded it, his response was I might break something. So, did not want that concern hanging over my head.
I hear that. I knew I wanted the PP but was PETRIFIED of all the Hensley Bump stories I read about. When I knew it boiled down to brake controller and that the integrated controller in my truck (Chevy) would work with my trailer's brakes, I felt much more at ease. I don't blame you for making a different decision in this case. I really hope Dodge can figure this out. Gotta say, if it works on the "wrong" setting, I wonder if its a wiring or software issue? Especially as other Dodges don't have this problem.

Best of luck!!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #111
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yea, there is more involved than just the brake controller, per the dealer's technician. He told me there is an accelerometer and some kind of incline sensor that have inputs, but are not part of the actual brake controller. I asked him if there were any adjustments on those, and he told me no.

I strongly believe the problem is in my Ram truck as I never had an issue like this with the same trailer, and ProPride hitch towing with the '08 GMC Duramax truck. And, actually had one sever panic stop event that Sean is using on his website, and nothing happed other than the rig stopping straight as an arrow. Additionally, my buddy was following us with another Airstream/PP combo towing with an earlier model Dodge 2500, he also had to panic stop to keep from hitting me, and he had no problem.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #112
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
And STILL waiting for the phone call..........

The only thing I can say at this time is if you are in Texas, and want to buy a Chrysler product, buy it from somewhere other than Bluebonnet Motors in New Braunfels, TX.