Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
EOH Brakes

I love my eoh brakes on my 2006 30ft. Classic. There might be a minuscule second of delay but when the brakes come on they WORK!
I have a 2011 Ram and the factory controller works great with my trailer.
This my fifth Airstream and these a by far the best brakes I have ever had.
Hickory

Old 09-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #58
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory View Post
I love my eoh brakes on my 2006 30ft. Classic. There might be a minuscule second of delay but when the brakes come on they WORK!
I have a 2011 Ram and the factory controller works great with my trailer.
This my fifth Airstream and these a by far the best brakes I have ever had.
Hickory

However, do you have either a ProPride or a Hensley hitch? That is where the barely noticeable delay becomes a problem.

The design of the hitch is such that the nose of the trailer will move either left or right until it makes a forceful bump against a mechanical stop, whenever the TV brakes are actuated without the trailer brakes. If this is a abrupt braking at anything other than slow speed, the bump will be forceful enough to push the rear of the TV off of straight ahead. Obviously this will scare the heck out of you and can lead to loss of directional control.

Ken

Ken

Old 09-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
the bump will be forceful enough to push the rear of the TV off of straight ahead. Obviously this will scare the heck out of you and can lead to loss of directional control.

This is a big statement. Are you sure of it? The distance travelled by the trailer in the even of "linkage collapse" is pretty small.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #60
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up My experience.....

POI....I've never used the haha without the TruCrontrol. There is no delay.
The moment the pedal is depressed the display will show the amperage being supplied, well before master cylinder pressure.
The only time I've experienced the "bump" was when the struts/hitch head was loose or not centered properly.
Even on the lowest controller setting....no bump.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
"the bump will be forceful enough to push the rear of the TV off of straight ahead. Obviously this will scare the heck out of you and can lead to loss of directional control.

This is a big statement. Are you sure of it? The distance travelled by the trailer in the even of "linkage collapse" is pretty small."

From my experience, it is more of an unpleasant surprise that might make you THINK you have lost control, but every one of the events I have experienced have fortunately been at low speeds. But, you definitely know when it happens, and you definitely know something is wrong with the hitch because you can feel in the steering the hitch trying to turn the tow vehicle, and you can see the trailer hanging out to one side behind the tow vehicle.

This is with the ProPride when the yoke slips. I suppose that it would be much worse with a Hensley if one of the struts breaks.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
POI....I've never used the haha without the TruCrontrol. There is no delay.
The moment the pedal is depressed the display will show the amperage being supplied, well before master cylinder pressure.
The only time I've experienced the "bump" was when the struts/hitch head was loose or not centered properly.
Even on the lowest controller setting....no bump.

Bob
Bob, I used the ProPride for many, many miles behind my '08 GMC 2500 with the factory brake controller, and I never had this problem.

The only thing I ever experienced with the GMC was sort of a whiplash sensation if I accelerated too quickly out of a tight turn.

There's no doubt in my mind the problem is with this new Ram brake controller.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

Then, since the PP is actually trying to turn the TV, you feel it in the steering wheel, you can see the trailer tracking to whichever side it slipped to, and you have to find a parking place to readjust it.

I believe it would be a safety hazard if this scenario presented itself in wet weather even with a conventional type WD hitch.
I have experienced this exact same scenario with a Prodigy controller (that I eventually replaced) and the HAHA.
You are correct, it is un-nerving, have experienced it a few times and it is a negative to the PPP type hitches. As a positive aspect it also lets the driver know if the brakes and brake controller are adjusted correctly.
Before I replaced the Prodigy controller I adjusted the trailer brakes and then simulated a panic stop. The trailer swung around violently enough to shear the bolts on the Hensley strut brackets.

Is there a way you could meet the technician near the dealership where there is easier access for the truck and trailer?
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #64
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
the bump will be forceful enough to push the rear of the TV off of straight ahead. Obviously this will scare the heck out of you and can lead to loss of directional control.

This is a big statement. Are you sure of it? The distance travelled by the trailer in the even of "linkage collapse" is pretty small.

I am not sure what the highlighted statement is saying.

I have never had it happen when I was making a high speed panic stop.
My two experiences have been:

Coming down a mountain pass, going about 40 MPH I applied the brakes, I immediately felt a forceful push from the back and found myself heading to the left. Since I was going fairly slow and not braking hard, it was correctable before I crossed the yellow line. I was able to slow and pull over. The cause was a loose nut on the terminal strip where the umbilical cord is attached to the trailer wiring.

The other time, we had forgotten to place the controller in boost mode. We were driving about 55 MPH down a not at all steep hill, when the car in front of us slowed drastically and abruptly. The result was similar, A bump accompanied by a swerve to the left.

I have thankfully not had a complete trailer brake failure and the need to make a panic stop at the same time. Therefor I am only guessing based on extrapolation what that would be like if one was going 65 or 70 down a typical flatland interstate hill when the car in front makes a panic stop.

The only part of my statement that I am not certain about is whether not there will be a complete lose of control. I am certain there can be, if the driver does not react quickly and appropriately.

"can lead to loss of directional control"
This phrase was intended to apply when the driver is surprised enough to panic and not react quickly and appropriately.
Ken
Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
A non-event

I once made a really hard stop with the brakes totally inoperative (Prodigy was removed and, on re-installation, the gain was accidentally zeroed). I got the bump hard enough to move the bar that positions the yoke all the way to one side. I had very little steering input from the trailer and barely moved in the lane before I put in a steering correction.

I had to go some distance to get off the road and I did not notice any appreciable extra drag or steering correction needed. The trailer appeared to tow straight, but slightly offset to the truck.

This was with my 2007 extended cab Silverado diesel and my Classic 28 at about 8000#.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I
Is there a way you could meet the technician near the dealership where there is easier access for the truck and trailer?
Chrysler service has suggested this, and since I have made three vehicular trips of about 60 miles each to get this problem addressed, and since there is no way I could even park the truck and trailer anywhere near the dealership, I suggested they come to my location to take another look and a ride.

At this time we have a tentative meeting scheduled for next week. However, I'm convinced by their previous actions that this also will be an attempt to white wash over the problem.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Hmmmm ...interesting read. We don't have a PP (wanted to buy one) but probably will not buy one after reading and letting this sink in. We do have a Ram 2500 but have never had the factory brake controller set above 4.5 * (usually 3.5) which is tested and set at the beginning of each towing ... both uphill and downhill with very smooth, predictable braking results...46 trips this season !
Old 09-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #68
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

By all means. If you think the PP won't work, it probably won't. Confidence is a large part of the equation.

I believe the consensus is it's a controller/program problem. We are hoping that Chrysler can resolve it.
If they were smart they would come with an after-market unit, install it and find out once and for all if it's the on-board BC or not.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I only experienced the bump once, with my previous Kelsey controller. Since I got my DirecLink, the delay is shorter, and the precision of the settings on the Direclink seem to provide a much better initial apply.

I, too, think your issue is controller related.

BTW, a thorough bleeding of the AS hydraulics will help. I did find some air in the system, which exacerbated the delay issue.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #70
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Duz the 2010 have disc brakes?
I thought they went back to the drums by then.

Bob

RLC

RLC