Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, misunderstood, my bad. I think delay could only be from dirty connections, mis-adjusted shoes....or something unique to Dodge controller or an issue with your particular one.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I suggest making a 12V cord with LED/bulb of some kind and plugging it into the Trailer brake circuit in the back of the truck and have the light in hand in the cab. Hit the brakes and see if there is a delay in the bulb lighting up. That would be an effective demonstration for the Dodge service manager of an issue with the controller and the trailer is not in the circuit to prevent finger pointing.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yesterday I did get to talk with the dealer's Service Manager. I asked him if he knew of any service bulletins or software upgrades for the brake controller in the '12 2500, and he said there were not.

I asked him for the name and telephone number of a factory rep I could talk with, and he said he was not allowed to give out that information, but would have a rep call me. Again I wait, probably in vain.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2012 Ram 2500/ProPride Brake Issues

Greetings SteveH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yesterday I did get to talk with the dealer's Service Manager. I asked him if he knew of any service bulletins or software upgrades for the brake controller in the '12 2500, and he said there were not.

I asked him for the name and telephone number of a factory rep I could talk with, and he said he was not allowed to give out that information, but would have a rep call me. Again I wait, probably in vain.
If you don't get a response from the dealer contact, you might try contacting Dodge Customer Assistance with the information suggested at this link. It has been several years since I owned a MOPAR vehicle, but there were numbers for Factory Representatives in the rear of the manual.

Good luck in finding a resolution to your problem!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
OK, granted I only have a few thousand towing on the new rig (2013 2500HD Cummins 4x4 with 2013 27FB Electric Brakes).

My settings are Heavy Electric and 7 volts and it brakes quite well (very smooth), in fact better than my 2011 Ford F-350 with 2011 30 Classic and 2009 Touareg TDI with 25FB Classic Electric over Hydraulic.
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
OK, granted I only have a few thousand towing on the new rig (2013 2500HD Cummins 4x4 with 2013 27FB Electric Brakes).

My settings are Heavy Electric and 7 volts and it brakes quite well (very smooth), in fact better than my 2011 Ford F-350 with 2011 30 Classic and 2009 Touareg TDI with 25FB Classic Electric over Hydraulic.
John,

I had similar experience with my '12 truck, set on Heavy Electric 9, all was well until I had to hit the brakes quickly, and that's when the yoke centering thing (forget what it's actually called) slipped. I stopped, straightened it, and all was good again until several days later, had to hit the brakes quickly again, and it slipped again. Happened three times to me on our last trip of about 4,000 miles.

Thanks to "overlander64" I did talk with Dodge Customer Assistance and there is a software upgrade available for my truck they said "might" help with the electric brakes. It's supposed to increase the speed at which the main CPU in the truck communicates with all the rest of the 'putters in the truck.

Because of scheduling, I won't have time to get it installed now until sometime in September.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Ok Steve, I must have the newer version of the firmware, the good and bad of 'putters, they can always be reprogramed to behave a little differently...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Just an update on this issue....Back in July I finally got in touch with someone at the dealer, and they told me there were no service bulletins on my truck's brake operator. So then I called Chrysler CS (thanks Kevin for the info), and they said yes indeed there was a service bulletin that dealt with the speed at which the main CPU communicated with the other items in the truck, and that upgrade "Might" effect the delay in the brake operator. They actually got the dealer's CS department on the phone with me, told them about it, then left me with the dealer to coordinate the time/date to take my truck in.

Jump forward to the day before yesterday, the first day that I was able to take the truck in because we were gone on a trip all of August, and after having the truck in all day, the dealer tells me the brake operator is working normally, and there is no service bulletin out on my truck. Does this emoticon explain my feelings properly?

Yesterday I called Chrysler CS back, they did have record of my call on July 12th, but would not let me talk with the same rep., but instead put me on hold for about seven minutes (I assume the consulted with the dealer during this time), and then when they returned told me there was no service bulletin on my truck, and there was nothing they could do for me.

So, my advise to you is, do not try to use a pivot point projection hitch of any kind with a late model Dodge Ram truck. And by the way, my ProPride hitch is for sale cheap in the classified section of this site.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our 2012 Ram 1500 and ProPride hitch have worked very well together, never had the brake delay that I'm aware of, nor the Hensley bump. I wonder if the 1500 and 2500 use the same controller. Probably. We'll be leaving soon for an extended trip and will report any problem if we have it.

The ProPride worked well with your Chev truck so one has to believe the problem is with your Ram brake controller. It's very unfortunate you have got the runaround from them and then brushed off, not good when these truck companies seem so proud of their towing abilities.

If your truck brakes grab before the trailer brakes, wouldn't this be a problem with any style hitch? Would the trailer want to bump the trick forward in an emergency stopping situation? These controllers ought to stop the trailer with the truck together, without a delay, I would think.

doug
Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our 2012 Ram 1500 and ProPride hitch have worked very well together, never had the brake delay that I'm aware of, nor the Hensley bump. I wonder if the 1500 and 2500 use the same controller. Probably. We'll be leaving soon for an extended trip and will report any problem if we have it.

The ProPride worked well with your Chev truck so one has to believe the problem is with your Ram brake controller. It's very unfortunate you have got the runaround from them and then brushed off, not good when these truck companies seem so proud of their towing abilities.

If your truck brakes grab before the trailer brakes, wouldn't this be a problem with any style hitch? Would the trailer want to bump the trick forward in an emergency stopping situation? These controllers ought to stop the trailer with the truck together, without a delay, I would think.

doug
Yes, Doug, it is an issue with the Reese SC as well. The brakes just don't feel right, but at least there's no severe bump, and no requirement to re-adjust the hitch after a quick application of the brakes.

It all worked perfectly with my '08 GMC 2500, and at this point, I wish I had bought another, but such is life.

Of course, I have no way of knowing if we have the same controller, or even if I could install a different controller without screwing up the 'puter. At a minimum, I know I would loose a lot of the features built in to the truck.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I have disc brakes on my Classic 28. I was disappointed when I read the manual for my new 2013 Duramax 2500HD and found that the integrated controller was designed to only work with electric brakes.

I simply bolted two brake magnets to the rear of the storage box behind the propane tanks and tapped them into the blue brake wire from the umbilical to make it look like I have electric brakes.

Last week, I took my first trip with the new truck and the integrated brakes worked great. I have the gain set at 5.5 and the PPP never swerved from straight on. The brakes were much smoother and more linear than with my Prodigy controller in the old truck. I made several hard stops in a stretch of road construction and the PPP stayed straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00168.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	195453  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
My PPP hitch always stayed straight on hard stops also, but on quick application of the brakes is when it would do "the bump", and slip out of alignment.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
My PPP hitch always stayed straight on hard stops also, but on quick application of the brakes is when it would do "the bump", and slip out of alignment.
Believe me, I hammered the brakes HARD twice in the construction zone on I-35 near West. Once, because I wasn't alert enough to see a stoppage coming and once because of two lane-weaving idiots who took most of my stopping space. The PPP stayed straight through all of it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I've always used the TruControl with our Hensley, only time I've had the "bump" is when the head has been off-center, strut bar re-adjust corrected the problem.

Have you contacted Sean? Not right that the yoke keeps going out like that.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote