Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, somehow I feel mislead in assuming that you bought a brand new vehicle; Now this changes the whole story.
Sorry, thought I had stated that it wasn't "Brand New", either in this thread or the "Towing Large with a 1/2 ton" thread, and that everyone knew that. At the time I first started noticing the brake issues, it was within the 3 year, 36000 mile, bumper to bumper warranty, however, and that's why the Dealer was working on the controller, at least for a while.

After they quit being responsive, or for that matter, even returning phone calls, is when I filled the Lemon Law paperwork.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #162
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm looking forward to the reports about a functioning brake controller on that CTD with those dialled-in trailer disc brakes, SteveH and how well it yanks that rig down in speed. Looks to be not far off (I, and others, hope).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #163
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I'm looking forward to the reports about a functioning brake controller on that CTD with those dialled-in trailer disc brakes, SteveH and how well it yanks that rig down in speed. Looks to be not far off (I, and others, hope).
Well, I actually have some good news on the brake controller issue. Yesterday I installed a Prodigy P3 where the original factory controller was mounted, tested it with both trailers, and it works great. There is no delay, and the braking is proportional. It will slam you up against the windshield if you step on them hard.

From the beginning I didn't want to do this because the computer system in the truck would be in alarm or show error codes. However, with some information I found on the web, and an idea of my own that came from the time I was playing around with resistors to make the factory controller "see" the hydraulic brake actuator, it is all working with no alarms or codes on the truck.

The factory controller is definitely a time-delay unit, and in my opinion a piece of junk. Information on time-delay vs proportional here: Trailer Brake Controller Information | etrailer.com
Old 02-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #164
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Still confused on the type of hitch to purchase in the next two weeks: Reese dual cam-dealer encourages this, ProPride, Equalizer 4 point. I have a Gmc Denali 3/4 diesel as a TV.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
Still confused on the type of hitch to purchase in the next two weeks: Reese dual cam-dealer encourages this, ProPride, Equalizer 4 point. I have a Gmc Denali 3/4 diesel as a TV.
Hi, Luigi; Just ask questions like:

Which one is easiest to use?
Which one costs the most?
Which one is the hardest to adjust?
Which one makes the most noise?
Which one has to be disconnected before backing up?

And you get more than you can read in two weeks.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #166
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Having a little experience with all of them, the size trailer you have, and the tow vehicle you have, I will say they will all do a good job for you, but they all have their good points and bad points.

However, my choice in order of preference would be first, the Propride, second the Reese Dual Cam, and last choice out of the three, the Equalizer.

The down side to the Propride is first the cost, and second the weight. The up side is it is absolutely the best hitch for sway elimination, and once installed, the only adjustment is the weight distribution which is easy to do with the crank jacks it uses. Some have problems with hookup and unhooking, and it is different, but once you learn it, it's rather easy.

The Reese Dual Cam has been around a long time, has been thru several versions of "improvements", and works good, IF adjusted PERFECTLY. And, the newer version with the thread adjustable cam arms are very difficult to adjust, and if not adjusted perfectly, the sway control system does not work well.

The Equalizer is the simplest of all of them, very few adjustments, weight distribution works well, sway control works well, but it is very noisy when turning with a lot of moaning, groaning, and popping. Also, it is the stiffest riding of the three to the point that some have experienced damage to their trailers from the hitch.

I'm absolutely certain that everyone on this forum will probably have an argument with some statement that I've made about at least one of these hitches, but these statements come from my experiences and those reported by other users here. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #167
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I use the ProPride after having used two different sizes of equalizer. I have towed many travel trailers in the past. However all before my current 31' were significantly smaller. After using the ProPride, I would not tow my trailer with anything else (unless something even better is developed in the future). The sway control absolutely amazes me. If I had ever used the Reese, I am guessing I would rank it in the middle as Steve did.

As with so many decisions in life, you have to decided where in the spectrum you personally are comfortable.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #168
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Love my ProPride behind my 2013 Silverado diesel. I used Reese dual-cam for about 10 years and liked it, but the ProPride is my choice. I have towed comfortably with the PPP when there were red flag warnings and the all semis were parked.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The ProPride has changed us from not really liking towing on her interstate with semi traffic and/or strong crosswinds to a complete non-event.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:18 AM   #170
4 Rivet Member

It's amazing that it takes a $2500 hitch to make the "best towing trailer on the planet" tow well.

Personally, I use an Air Safe hitch to keep all the rivets riveted on my Airstream when towing with a heavy pickup truck.

The Airstream is an American Classic, but she is a sensitive mistress.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #171
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
It's amazing that it takes a $2500 hitch to make the "best towing trailer on the planet" tow well.

Personally, I use an Air Safe hitch to keep all the rivets riveted on my Airstream when towing with a heavy pickup truck.

Actually, it's not about what hitch "it takes", it's about what is the best hitch at sway elimination, and the ProPride also does ride very well. I towed with one for more than 50,000 miles with no issues at all till I ran into the problems with this Dodge brake controller.

I'm glad you like your Air Safe. There are many good hitches on the market, and they all do the job for the most part, but nothing controls sway like a pivot point projection hitch.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #172
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

Since you don't specify what trailer you own, either in your post or in your profile, it is difficult to evaluate your statement. However I am guessing you have a small to medium sized light weight vintage trailer. Towing that is an entirely different task than towing a newer heavier larger trailer.

An Airsafe hitch appears to have no sway control or dampening whatsoever. There are some who use an Airsafe with a ProPride to provide shock dampening They preform two entirely different functions. The only shock dampening with the ProPride is the flexing of the weight distribution bars. The only sway control with the Airsafe appears to be none.

There are many threads on these forums discussing the merits of sway control. There should be no need to do it again. If you find it is unnecessary for your set up and your comfort zone that is fine. However I, and others are willing to pay the extra money for a safer less demanding towing experience.

To each his own.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:

They don't give the Air Safe device away either, and you still need a w.d. hitch to go with it.

It all comes down to the level of towing comfort you are comfortable with. I had two hitches before the ProPride that I wasn't entirely satisfied with and those experiments were not free.

Wish I had started with the ProPride and not spent money on the others but my dealer said I didn't need it (best towing trailer on the planet.) I think the real issue is they could not make any money on the ProPride because they are marketed directly to the consumer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote