Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Aptos , California
Question 2012 16ft Bambi Towed By 2009 2WD Honda Pilot

We just purchased a Bambi sport. We have a 2009 Honda Pilot 2WD and are a bit nervous about it's towing capacity. The dry weight of the pilot is 2970 lbs and it's towing max capacity is 3500. My weight combined with my husband & two dogs is 350 lbs. Then you add a full tank of gas equaling 160 lbs we are closing in quickly to the 3500 pound limit. Should we be concerned about
#1 being so close to the max capacity #2 placing too much stress on the transmission #3 too much weight on the axles. Any feedback/assistance would be much appreciated. We are very nervous and need some assurance. We are picking up our Bambi on 9/15/2012.
Nannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Do some forum searching. It was reported some time ago that Pilots were towing Airstreams in the 23 to 25' range without issues* so one would suggest you are going to be on easy street with a 16'.

* when connected optimally.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I did a little online research to try to help you. You really need to take your TV and trailer loaded for camping to a certified scale and get actual numbers vs. published numbers.

Don't take these numbers as the gospel. Please do the same research I did. Search for specifications on the internet for your Honda and check the sticker on the door for weight ratings. Check the sticker inside the trailer you are buying for the weight specs on it.

Here are the results of my research:

Your Honda Pilot
Empty weight is around 4500#
Gross weight rated around 6100#
So you can carry around 1600# including tongue weight and any weight transfered from WD hitch.
3500# trailer max

16' Sport
Empty weight is around 2800#. Probably means empty water tanks and propane tanks.
Gross weight limit is 3500#
Tongue weight is around 300#

Again this all needs to be confirmed with the information attached to the TV and the AS. Also it does not mean the Pilot will be a robust TV pulling a 3500# trailer.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Aptos , California
Greetings Bud,
For the past couple of weeks I have attempted to research the weight variations associated with pulling a travel trailer and have only become frustrated. Understanding the terminology has been my biggest obstacleand since I have no frame of reference it’s been difficult. You've been a gem!!I would like to thank you for providing me data/information that helps to minimize my confusion. Many, many thanks!
Nannette
Old 09-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannette View Post
Greetings Bud,
For the past couple of weeks I have attempted to research the weight variations associated with pulling a travel trailer and have only become frustrated. Understanding the terminology has been my biggest obstacleand since I have no frame of reference it’s been difficult. You've been a gem!!I would like to thank you for providing me data/information that helps to minimize my confusion. Many, many thanks!
Nannette
Nannette, welcome to the forum. Please post pictures of your new Bambi... we all love pictures. You are going to love your Bambi.

The members of this forum have always been extremely helpful to me as they are to everyone. Please don't be bashful about asking lots of questions in the future.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Aptos , California
What Inverter Should We Purchase?

For the past year we've experienced the joy of "glamping" with our 16ft Bambi. Now, we're ready to take the plung...dry camping/boondocking. It's going to be a big jump for us " full hook-up" kind of people.

Here's the question: We want to use our Nespresso coffee maker and it requires 120V ac and 1720W. Do I need an inverter with 2000W for operation? If so, does anyone have a recommendation for a particular brand? I was looking at Voltec Industries model which seems to be the most affordable at $367. Or I may start searching on Craiglist. Anyone's good opinion would be valued.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Honda 1000 generator, what you save on a new coffee maker will pay for half of it and you can boondock for alot longer when you can recharge the batteries.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you might have trouble getting enough inverter and battery power to run that coffee maker in your trailer. generally you want ti get an inverter rated 20-25% above your expected need.
a few posts about alternatives are here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...on-106649.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...r-48811-2.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Nannette! Are you still towing with your Pilot? How did that work out for you? Also, what sort of hitch did you use - weight distribution, sway control? Our trailer is similar in weight, and we are researching for a good tow vehicle.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Aptos , California
Towing with a Honda Pilot

Hi Stephanie,

I hope you will find the following information of some assistance. Fyi, we recently traded the referenced Honda Pilot (3500lbs towing capacity) for a Honda Pilot with AWD (towing capacity of 4500lbs). The Pilot (without AWD) towed the Bambi with ease. We didn't do any tows with high elevation. To take the trailer to higher elevations i.e. Lake Tahoe and not worry we decided to purchase the AWD.

As for the hitch...it's just a standard hitch with a weight baring capacity of 500lbs. If I recall correctly, the 16ft bambi's hitch weight is only 250lbs.

It was recommended by the dealership not to install a sway bar on such a small trailer, hence we didn't.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
16' Sport
Empty weight is around 2800#. Probably means empty water tanks and propane tanks.
Gross weight limit is 3500#
Tongue weight is around 300#

A TW range of 10-15% is from 300 - 500/lbs for a fully loaded trailer. Best to load up as if for a trip (full fresh water and propane) and get the actual weights of both vehicles where each axle is on a separate pad. Then, disconnect the TT and weigh the Honda separately, same day and same scale. The trailer tongue weight can be determined thusly. Any questions about "stability" starts with this determination. (See CAT Scale Locator online). In depth means weighing each wheel position of both vehicles individually, to make sure that front-rear and side-side weights are as close as possible. While trailer tires are always run at maximum sidewall pressure, best tow vehicle performance will be found by adjusting the pressure on tires across each axle to best reflect the "heaviest" position. Towing is litle things adding up whe it comes to braking, steering, etc, as too much or too little pressure is leaving performance on the table and walking away.

I, too, would enjoy a pic or two or your rig if you are so inclined.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
While trailer tires are always run at maximum sidewall pressure, best tow vehicle performance will be found by adjusting the pressure on tires across each axle to best reflect the "heaviest" position.
I do not understand this?

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Any vehicle, with any sort of load, may have diffrent "weights" seen at each tire. The axle does not average it out. Tow vehicle or trailer, both are prone to imbalances. Imbalances are contraindicated for best road stability. We try to avoid them, IOW.

400-lb Uncle Walter sitting behind the driver will show up on both axles of the tow vehicle, but especially in side-to-side weights as seen from a scale (when one weighs the vehicle wheel-by-wheel). The tires on the drivers side of the vehicle will show more weight than those on the other side without compensatory weight equalling Uncle Walter.

Lets' say the weight shown by a drive-on scale shows 2,600-lbs on the rear axle. But the difference between left and right is 250-lbs. One would adjust tire pressure to reflect the load on the heaviest tire, not necessarily what the two tires would average if the weight side-to-side were equal. Tow vehicle tire pressure is by "load versus pressure", and is within the high and low on the drivers door placard.

Weight balance is important for the trailer. If items can be moved around to get more equal weight on both sides of the axle, then stability is bettered. It may not be possible to make them an even match, but closer is better in all circumstances.

Trailer tires are subject to forces not seen by cars. To avoid tearing them off of the wheel rim, thus to increase their life, one always keeps them at maximum sidewall pressure (shown on tire).

In short, all of this is some tuning that will make a better rig while underway, and increase tire/brake life and performance. And, especially, better the steering response of the combined rig.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote