Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #41
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
>

Since we're trading 3rd party stories rather than facts

100 posts ... I need to get a life !
Stated like a true AUDI owner.

If you need to get a life and not write about how great your vehicle is, then in the future on an AUDI forum complain on what has gone horribly wrong with your vehicle today.......Drive a Nissan.

This should appeal to your AUDI sense of humour (I did like the cop joke)

Audi Jokes - Audi One Liners Jokes

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Then stop giving advice about something you have no experience with. You keep inserting yourself into these discussions about alternative tow vehicles without any experience of the vehicles being discussed. Many of us are trying to learn from those who do have practical, real world experience with these setups (a big thanks to those who have been generous with their experience and patient with their detractors). So, kindly stop insulting our intelligence with your inferred knowledge of all things towing! You don't see alternate tow vehicle proponents hijacking the big truck threads so how about extending the same courtesy. Don't like the discussions, ignore them.
I do know a fair amount about cars and I will share my opinion, just like others are doing, on this forum. Not sure why you think your intelligence was insulted. Again, I think if you have nothing to add, you should just not post.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Rostram, knowledge of cars is not equal to knowledge of towing. One could argue that you are adding nothing to these towing posts but your bias against alternative towing setups. Like I said, don't like them, move on and let the rest of us have our discussions about setups that clearly are working and being used every day.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Rostram, knowledge of cars is not equal to knowledge of towing. One could argue that you are adding nothing to these towing posts but your bias against alternative towing setups. Like I said, don't like them, move on and let the rest of us have our discussions about setups that clearly are working and being used every day.
Its you that's taking these threads off topic. I think you should stop and let others have their discussion.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Apologies to the OP for the sidetrack. My only excuse is that I'm tired of people with no experience inserting themselves into every towing thread that discusses any vehicle other than a full sized American truck or suv with dire warnings of one sort or the other. Hopefully, people with see his 'input' for what it is.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #46
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
You're all wrong, all of you. The very best tow vehicle in the world is the Mercedes-Benz Unimog, specifically the U500 that can tow 1000 metric tons, up a freakin mountain if it wants too.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge Rams quake and shiver in its mere shadow....except for Toyota Tundra's, as they can tow a space shuttle.

Audi's are good vehicles. I do love how VAG does their interiors; makes the interior of my Nissan look like a Rubbermaid trash can.

Sorry for the thread hijack as these towing guys can get a little too excited.

FYI My 310 turbo diesel can tow anything!......as long as it's under 2000 lbs.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 03-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Great to hear these positive reviews. The Q7 is on the list for our next car, once the Van isn't needed anymore.

Beautiful engines in these.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Hopefully, people with see his 'input' for what it is.
We do!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Dayton , Ohio
Regarding your mpg question, on a 1,850 mile trip last spring from Ohio to South Carolina and back through the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina we averaged 16.4 mpg for the entire trip. Towing typically runs around 15.5 and we did some driving unhitched so that accounts for the difference. As for your observation of the 8 speed and typical rpm, it does the exact same thing when towing. Usually hangs around 1,800 to 1,900 rpm. Unless going up a significant hill, then around 2,400 unless you want to pick up some speed. And the engine controls speed on the descents such that braking is often not necessary.
Pivot429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot429 View Post
Regarding your mpg question, on a 1,850 mile trip last spring from Ohio to South Carolina and back through the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina we averaged 16.4 mpg for the entire trip. Towing typically runs around 15.5 and we did some driving unhitched so that accounts for the difference. As for your observation of the 8 speed and typical rpm, it does the exact same thing when towing. Usually hangs around 1,800 to 1,900 rpm. Unless going up a significant hill, then around 2,400 unless you want to pick up some speed. And the engine controls speed on the descents such that braking is often not necessary.
Thank you for the detailed and relevant reply !

Not that the irrelevant ones from Isuzu and rostam aren't entertaining also.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
You're all wrong, all of you. The very best tow vehicle in the world is the Mercedes-Benz Unimog, specifically the U500 that can tow 1000 metric tons, up a freakin mountain if it wants too.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge Rams quake and shiver in its mere shadow....except for Toyota Tundra's, as they can tow a space shuttle.

Audi's are good vehicles. I do love how VAG does their interiors; makes the interior of my Nissan look like a Rubbermaid trash can.

Sorry for the thread hijack as these towing guys can get a little too excited.

FYI My 310 turbo diesel can tow anything!......as long as it's under 2000 lbs.

Cheers
Tony
Given that my Audi is just waiting to recycle metal shavings left over from the sloppy Czech factory workers (or the turbo shaft lubricator?) through the oil filter bypass and sandblast itself to death from the inside, what do you suggest I replace it with after I send the Audi dealers' kids through the Ivy League ? Will it even last that long after all the warning lights ? Should I cut my losses, park it in a field, remove the plates and walk away ?

There's a lot to worry about here ! Is it even safe to have in my driveway over the weekend?
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Aptos , California
For what its worth I have a 2011 q7 tdi with nearly 100,000 miles and it has been completely reliable. I drive to the summit of a mountain with it every school day which is a steep climb, no problems whatsoever. I don't tow with it though.
farmerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Pivot, do you know the tongue weight on your 25? I'd be interested, for future reference, how it compares to my own, about 800lbs.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Guess we do

Quote:
We have different definitions of "small vehicle".
That is what makes the world go round differences of opinions

Enjoy

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:57 AM   #55
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Given that my Audi is just waiting to recycle metal shavings left over from the sloppy Czech factory workers (or the turbo shaft lubricator?) through the oil filter bypass and sandblast itself to death from the inside, what do you suggest I replace it with after I send the Audi dealers' kids through the Ivy League ? Will it even last that long after all the warning lights ? Should I cut my losses, park it in a field, remove the plates and walk away ?

There's a lot to worry about here ! Is it even safe to have in my driveway over the weekend?
What I'd reply would be merely irrelavent to you as you have rose coloured glasses on. You don't want the truth, can't handle the truth but wish to surround yourself with those that say "Yes sir, three bags full sir".

I wasn't commenting on your Audi but gave you real world impressions of VAG quality and parts cost.

FYI My boss is now leasing a Ford F150 after picking up his Touareg yesterday from the mechanics. He had to get new rotors, a new caliper, pads and $60,00 sensors. The total bill in his words was "It's two lease payments on the Ford". The lease payments on a 2015 F-150 with 40,000 kms yearly are $967.00.

He's had enough of VAG.

I'm out.
Tony

Old 03-17-2015, 05:49 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
The total bill in his words was "It's two lease payments on the Ford". The lease payments on a 2015 F-150 with 40,000 kms yearly are $967.00.
I'm out.
Tony
Not bad compared to a guy I know who's bought new domestic pickup (brand not named to protect the innocent) and saw 10's of thousands of dollars of repairs in just a few years. Note he was towing at less than 70% of the tow rating.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:11 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
It's always worth remembering, and I don't mean this nastily, that the plural of "anecdote" isn't "data".
Old 03-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Currently own Ford Boomer (TC25D) (diesel), 2011 Audi A3 TDI (diesel), 06 Chevy 2500 HD (diesel), and previously owned a VW Jetta TDI (diesel), just want to state my experience with diesel vehicles. Never had a moments problem with either of the TDI powered cars and get/got outstanding fuel economy. My diesel truck has had a couple glow plugs fail, but hey its a mechanical device and one should expect, over the long haul, to have problems. Now back to towing with a VAG vehicle, I have a personal phobia towing anything a couple times bigger than the tow vehicle at highway speed. Not that it can't be done, but just because it can be done doesn't mean that it should be. Watch the attached video and ask yourself what would have happened if the tow vehicle had been a lot smaller than the big truck in this video.

Not judging anyone, not meant to be confrontational, just informational.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Can we please stop posting stuff designed to scare people into believing the myth that bigger is automatically safer. It's not, we've had this discussion time after time after time.

A vehicle with a high centre of gravity is far more likely to be the cause of an accident that to help prevent it. A vehicle with the majority of its mass closer to the road would have benefitted from a significant safety margin in this scenario. That's not an opinion, that's physics.

The trailer flipped due to high winds - we have zero knowledge of the towing setup.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
A vehicle with a high centre of gravity is far more likely to be the cause of an accident that to help prevent it. A vehicle with the majority of its mass closer to the road would have benefitted from a significant safety margin in this scenario. That's not an opinion, that's physics.
People use the "high center of gravity" like a curse word around here. A few weeks ago, I had to catch a flight and the taxi was late. I told the driver to speed it up, so I don't miss my flight. The taxi was a Dogge Grand Caravan, a minivan. I have never driven a minivan before. The vehicle, which is supposedly close to the ground, has significant body roll when cornering at speed. My Subaru, has high center of gravity (8.7" of ground clearance) and actually corners pretty good at high speed, much much better than that Minivan. Its not as simple as you try to portray it.