Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
1981 31' Excella Limited
SD , California
2005 Jeep Cherokee 5.7L V8 Hemi okay for '81 Excella II 31 ft?

Hi there!

I own a 31ft 1981 Excella II with rear bath. I will need to begin towing this vehicle myself (rather than relying on a friend's F-250). I own a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7L Hemi V8. I am considering installing a top-of-the-line towing system but I've read many previous threads advising against towing a 31ft Airstream with a mid-sized SUV.

I would be towing it relatively short distances 15-20 miles on flat terrain but these trips would be primarily on highways.

Apparently, the tow capacity for my Jeep is about 7,200 pounds...empty weight of my trailer is around 4,700 but since I live in it full-time I assume it's much heavier (haven't taken it to the scales).

I've poured over related forums but the responses just make me more anxious about moving forward with the installation of a tow package vs. paying someone else to tow it for me!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm just a single lady trying to live the Airstream dream!

sdhabyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Libertyville , Illinois
As I understand safe towing, it is a function of the the tow vehicle wheelbase. I believe yours is around 109.5". Your friend's F-250 is probably around 140 inches. With such a long trailer, I would feel better towing with a longer wheelbase. Not only for your safety, but for those people travelling new you.

Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
Get by the scale weigh unit together and unhook and weigh just the trailer. I would also level the trailer and get the tongue weight, a dealer may help you with this.
Once you have these tru weights you will be able to make a decision. Not knowing your experience pulling trailers there is training available that will help you to safely tow. Many experienced drivers make it look so easy, but it only takes one bad driver to ruin your day. And yes wheelbase = more is better. No easy quick answer.
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Have your friend take it to the scales and get true readings. Even with the awesome PP or HaHa hitches, I think you will have the power but I'm worried about your wheelbase and more importantly, your vehicles "load capacity".

First step - get it to some CAT scales then report back please!
John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
We tow our 25 ft trailer with a 2007 Jeep Commander with the same engine. Our hitch is just a Reese with a friction sway bar. We don't go over 60 MPH and can't go over 50 (sometimes 40) going up hill. Big trucks make us sway and windy days can be challenging. I believe it would be much better with a good PP or HaHa hitch. But it is clear a longer more powerful vehicle would be better.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote